Which one should I chop super short?

John, how thin can you carve the outer edge in an BC? I’d imagine 1/4 - 3/8 inch?
I've done 1/2" without issues. 1/4" could be pushing it for larger tree that has to move a lot of water for the big top but for small tree like the one John showed it should be sufficient. I am going to try that with my shohin once it gets going. Right now it has a long way to catch up with yours.

I've done 1/2" without issues. 1/4" could be pushing it for larger tree that has to move a lot of water for the big top but for small tree like the one John showed it should be sufficient. I am going to try that with my shohin once it gets going. Right now it has a long way to catch up with yours.
Good to know, thank you sir!

John, how thin can you carve the outer edge in an BC? I’d imagine 1/4 - 3/8 inch?
Never really paid that close of attention to it… I would err on the side of thicker than thinner.

That’s a purdy sight! I’m glad to see yours starting to perk up!

That’s a purdy sight! I’m glad to see yours starting to perk up!
If I am to ship to you it would be either at the end of May or we'll have to wait all the way to the fall. I am weary of shipping BCs in hot shipping trucks that are known to get to 140 deg F inside sometimes. Meanwhile, I will let them grow freely. I suspect we shall discuss branch selection at the end of the first growing season around end of July for yours. Mine may have to wait.

If I am to ship to you it would be either at the end of May or we'll have to wait all the way to the fall. I am weary of shipping BCs in hot shipping trucks that are known to get to 140 deg F inside sometimes. Meanwhile, I will let them grow freely. I suspect we shall discuss branch selection at the end of the first growing season around end of July for yours. Mine may have to wait.
I’m fine with fall, it would be better for the health of the tree as well. A summer in its native area will be like two years here … Plus, the hornbeams will have recovered nicely by fall 😉

My goodness that’s the largest trunk chop I’ve seen so far lol. Makes me think these trees are almost unkillable.

Oh they are easily killed. I’ve killed some myself.
I've had my fair share of success but there have been learning occasions. :)
People often forget that collecting bald cypress with a large root balls is relatively safe but then the result is not conducive to future bonsai. When I and other BC collectors collect BCs, we prune the roots down to just enough to save the buttresses. Then we keep the trees alive and develop the feeder roots for their future as bonsai. Lots of time the trees are down to just barely better than a huge cutting. Every now and then, one won't wake up or can't sustain the growth once the buds come out.

You bet!
Mine gets Osmotes Plus today. Yours doesn’t 🤣
View attachment 540891
Do you have any issues fertilizing with trees that you keep in water all the time? I added some fertilizer to one of mine and it ended up burning. I haven't tried since. It's entirely possible I over fertilized - I can't rule that out.

I checked on your hornbeam today and it’s growing like a weed.
img_2707-jpeg.549509
IMG_2706.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2707.jpeg
    IMG_2707.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom