How should I chop this ilex?

Fall prune. Ready to show off the red berries this winter. Also add a ring of soil to promotes roots at the ground layer. The ground layer shows beautiful callus but few roots. The plan is for a repot midspring next year with a 1/3rd bottom root chop.
D49A1E90-A185-4E12-8A6D-30EF97CB5EF4.jpeg
E397C624-ECB7-4F29-B77F-D8C9D3EAC579.jpeg
2DF3B518-2AA1-45BF-A41C-90B79FF7F888.jpeg

I have serious design questions. The trunk for the tree is OK for me. The nebari will be developed later. However I am unhappy with the entire canopy. There are so many branches with straight sections. I am asking for design suggestions.
Here are some of my thoughts.
1. The lowest branch is a sacrifice branch for me. It is too straight, low, and pretty much has out grown its purpose. I will likely remove it.
2. The next one I am planning to cut it short and redevelop the sub branch. It too is too straight and had a deep wire scar that makes it weak. If y'all think it is too low, I can remove it as well.
3. I also am thinking about cutting back ALL the side branches to stubs and and redevelop the entire canopy. Knowing the tree I think I can get it to look OK in 3 years.
Your thoughts? I will most likely do something early spring (February 2024) and would like to get my plan together.
As always, your thoughts and suggestions are highly valuable to me. I might or might not use them, however, all the suggestions will be carefully considered.

I have serious design questions. The trunk for the tree is OK for me. The nebari will be developed later. However I am unhappy with the entire canopy. There are so many branches with straight sections. I am asking for design suggestions.
1. The lowest branch is a sacrifice branch for me. It is too straight, low, and pretty much has out grown its purpose. I will likely remove it.
2. The next one I am planning to cut it short and redevelop the sub branch. It too is too straight and had a deep wire scar that makes it weak. If y'all think it is too low, I can remove it as well.
3. I also am thinking about cutting back ALL the side branches to stubs and and redevelop the entire canopy. Knowing the tree I think I can get it to look OK in 3 years.
Your thoughts? I will most likely do something early spring (February 2024) and would like to get my plan together.
As always, your thoughts and suggestions are highly valuable to me. I might or might not use them, however, all the suggestions will be carefully considered.
I think you are on the right track, but maybe wire the shoots, while skinny, for some movement and then cut back for ramification. I used to have one back in Florida, and if you let it do it’s thing it will send stick straight branches everywhere.

I think you are right about removing the lower branch.. I forget if they backbud.

Did it today. I notched 3 branches and pulled them down then cut them short. The entire lanky apex was also chopped along with the low branch.
Before
F1E72128-6BC4-4D1C-9A15-2FF9AE1F5A1A.jpeg

Wedge cut
8CF428C1-8AE9-4BFA-B932-F5F3181A8FF6.jpeg

Lanky apex
98CD0032-5071-4236-9FD3-AEBB9FAC1223.jpeg

After
B70FB822-84DD-4A2B-B3F3-F7DF3A0BDAE2.jpeg

Last edited:
All 3 wedge cuts to drop the angle of the branches healed beautifully. Tree was growing vigorously.
All wires removed and branches pruned back.

Wedge cuts
IMG_7351.jpeg
IMG_7350.jpegIMG_7349.jpeg

Before
IMG_7348.jpeg

After
IMG_7354.jpeg

The plan is to cut off bottom 2” of roots at 2024 repot.

All 3 wedge cuts to drop the angle of the branches healed beautifully. Tree was growing vigorously.
All wires removed and branches pruned back.

Wedge cuts
View attachment 490220
View attachment 490222View attachment 490223

Before
View attachment 490224

After
View attachment 490225

The plan is to cut off bottom 2” of roots at 2024 repot.
It’s really nice to see wedge cuts heal well. Really like this tree. It’s a survivor!

Hey @Hack Yeah!
I checked the roots. Instead of repotting, I am going to pull the tree out, cut a few inches off the bottom and put it right back into the same pot. This will challenge the tree and force it to grow roots higher up. I will repot into a shallower pot next year.

Hey @Hack Yeah!
I checked the roots. Instead of repotting, I am going to pull the tree out, cut a few inches off the bottom and put it right back into the same pot. This will challenge the tree and force it to grow roots higher up. I will repot into a shallower pot next year.
Cool, post a pic of you can. I've got one that has grown through a flat into the ground. Meant to repot this year and just didn't get to it. Will be nice to see a comparison

Why your Ilex looks so much easily to style than anything I have. :) The pine looks pretty good, can we have a full shot of it please? The new growths look lush green... beautiful.
Cuz I got skillz! Bahahaha :D

Back
Top Bottom