Removing Large lateral branches, How close should I chop?

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Is it safe to chop large lateral branches almost flush with the tree? Specifically asking for a Korean Hornbeam. Or do we leave some of the twig there to make sure it doesn't die back into the trunk? I'm torn because I want to chop it now so it heals fast, but leaving a stump there would defeat the purpose of healing fast because I'd have to chop it again.

Eh, so I chopped this large branch off my Korean Hornbeam, I didn’t want to cut into the tree that much and disrupt that much sap flow before the tree could reroute things. So I cut it as close to the tree as I could with a saw. Now I’m thinking if I should go around the edge with knob cutters to make it more flush.

I’m going for the good ol hole in the tree look since this branch was way too big when I got it. Here’s a picture. Be mindful this is year one of what probably is a 7-10 year project.

Attachments

• B17EB01F-8261-471D-90C6-5E433C3BAE1D.jpeg
    B17EB01F-8261-471D-90C6-5E433C3BAE1D.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 42
You've got other pruning scars on the same tree that also need to be dealt with. Rather than reopening the scar that is the subject of this thread, I would recommend focusing instead on increasing the trunk caliper 50%... at which point the scar will likely be gone. Sometimes the best approach is to make the tree as strong as possible and let it grow.

One of my strongest growers :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom