Advice on removing a large J Maple sacrificial branch

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

I have a large field grown japanese maple that I acquired earlier this Spring from the Growing Grounds. It is recovering nicely from collection in a wooden box. It has great taper but that is the result of numerous sacrificial branches. There is one particularly large branch which I am worried about how to properly remove. I am planning on using the Ebihara technique described by Jonas here on Bonsai Tonight in order to speed healing. The branch itself swells though near the collar where it joins the trunk from about an inch at the orange line to an inch and a half at the yellow line.

Would you more experienced maple growers make your cut at the yellow line in order to get a totally flat scar or allow for a small bulge in order to have a smaller scar with a higher chance of complete healing? Of course there is a good chance this might be on the back side of the tree.

Thanks,
Lars
Picture2.jpg Picture1.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you notice in the article that the branches are being notched annually? And it looks like the cut is made to create a semi-smooth trunk line.

Maybe not so deep as the yellow line, but realize, that's gonna' be a rather large wound.:eek::D:D

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're going to take it off you might as well cut at the yellow. It will leave a large wound but that bulge might look as bad or worse.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't cut it yet at all....

Lessin that sho is the back.

That's a Damn straight line you're gonna leave.

Like IT'S been grown with it's back against a wall.

Your back, however, is not against the wall, so I would consider other options.

Like cutting everything else off.

Sorce

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't cut it yet at all....

Lessin that sho is the back.

That's a Damn straight line you're gonna leave.

Like IT'S been grown with it's back against a wall.

Your back, however, is not against the wall, so I would consider other options.

Like cutting everything else off.

Sorce

I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting making a trunk chop there?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting making a trunk chop there?

Maybe.

aviary-image-1498229947006.jpeg

I don't see much above....but what's there looks eh anyway.

The Bold and the Beautiful have gone together for some time now.

I only fear....
That no matter what..
If you make that cut...

A viewer is ALWAYS going to see that line. Your first exposed third...you can't hide it.

And then everything above seems to be moving awayfrom it....which seems will bring it more attention.

I don't do much but kill maples...

But I seen it done.

And then you can join Smokes sumo thread!
Bonus!

Sorce

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If the cut isn't concave, you're going to get a bulge even if you cut at the yellow line. The scar tissue adds to what's there. I'd cut at the yellow line, but given the size of it do a progressive notch cut to speed healing. You'll also need to remove the larger branches at the top of the tree.

I'm more concerned with the black blotches on the base of the trunk. Pseudomonas maybe? I'm not a disease expert, but black bark on an acer p. is never good.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice trunk. If it was mine, I would thread-graft all new branches, and not use any of the current ones in the final design.

That is 100% my plan. I just have a lot of work to do with all these sacrificial branches. I am actually looking forward to it as a really great project. I noticed in the Ebihara post from @markyscott that many of the thread grafts actually appear to go through the sacrificial branch callus. That seems a very clever way of hiding a scar.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm more concerned with the black blotches on the base of the trunk. Pseudomonas maybe? I'm not a disease expert, but black bark on an acer p. is never good.

Hmm, I'll take another look at them tonight. I think they are just wet and the trunk needs a scrubbing but I will investigate further. I appreciate the keen eye.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, I'll take another look at them tonight. I think they are just wet and the trunk needs a scrubbing but I will investigate further. I appreciate the keen eye.
I wouldn't worry about the blackish patches. I would worry about buying that much Superthrive though--it takes a lot of magic beans and a barrel of pixie dust to make that big of a bottle of the stuff ;-)

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't worry about the blackish patches. I would worry about buying that much Superthrive though--it takes a lot of magic beans and a barrel of pixie dust to make that big of a bottle of the stuff ;-)

The last time I used that Superthrive, my amur maple developed chlorosis!! It is for display purposes only now =)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Tis a nice big trunk. You will have lots of fun developing it.

Reaction score
Its a nice trunk. I don't like big scars that low on the trunk. I see two options, losing all the branches and start with new branches, leaving it years . Or making the lowest branch a solid lowest branch, almost a second trunk, but not just yet (hope you understand).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its a nice trunk. I don't like big scars that low on the trunk. I see two options, losing all the branches and start with new branches, leaving it years . Or making the lowest branch a solid lowest branch, almost a second trunk, but not just yet (hope you understand).
Or just put the scar to the back of the final design...;-)

Top Bottom