watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes, a couple. That quince is really cute.
Thanks it's actually very fun to have a small bonsai or two. I should expect an increase in need for water as it grows and when the heat arrives. Last year, I kept a ball of wet sphagnum moss on top of the soil and buried the little pot down level with soil in a 3 gallon nursery pot.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@watchndsky very true. I grew up in NC in Apex and moved out in '98.........I still go and visit every few years and man that town has changed.....parks gone woods I used to play in gone......it makes me not want to go back there anymore. I'm in FL now but when I move it's going to be western nc, around boone.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Soldano666 , do not hesitate to post your trees if you need or wanna provide help, although you're on half way... I'm not ashamed to post my...these have never been posted here before. Different stages of development. All need time, bonsai is a passion for me.
...from seeds
1.jpg
2.jpg

...from cutting
2017_0428_13514300.jpg

...from air-layering
2017_0428_13424500.jpg
2017_0428_13481100.jpg

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
IMG_1273.JPG I honestly think that a lot of people don't realize that there is a difference between American bonsai and Japanese bonsai ,
With that being said there are a lot of busy bodies in American bonsai .
The perfectionist that says it can only be done one way.
And these people are clown shoes .
I find them humorous and Unimaginative ,
If you're doing what you enjoy & the tree is healthy that's all that matters .
But I do love how more people are jumping on board to the American style bonsai .
( keeping the basics of bonsai but leaving the door open for possibilities )

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks it's actually very fun to have a small bonsai or two. I should expect an increase in need for water as it grows and when the heat arrives. Last year, I kept a ball of wet sphagnum moss on top of the soil and buried the little pot down level with soil in a 3 gallon nursery pot.
If you ever come down to Houston. Stop by my place for a water (not a drinker)... am sure there is something in pot that you might like.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like every single person's post here!!!! I just didn't feel like clicking "like" 253243673 times. :cool::rolleyes::D

Yesterday I was browsing the net and saw some things on non traditional bonsai. Then I come on here and I think it was Sorce who collected a little shrub from somewhere in the landscape of his life LOL

I was inspired........I have tons of weeds in my yard and some have really woody stems..........so I walked around my yard and put this together in a few min. Didn't have any pot small enough. Even the bottom of this water bottle is too big lol

I believe it to be false buttonweed but I may be wrong it does have white flowers. Its ugly in my lawn, but the movement in this one was kind of cool.

Plus they don't die...ever.....kinda the perfect bonsai tree? haha

So anyway felt like going outside the box and here it is:
View attachment 143081
... windswept mame bonsai I see. Cool movement.

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@watchndsky very true. I grew up in NC in Apex and moved out in '98.........I still go and visit every few years and man that town has changed.....parks gone woods I used to play in gone......it makes me not want to go back there anymore. I'm in FL now but when I move it's going to be western nc, around boone.

Lived in S Florida 25 years. Watched Griffin rd. go from two lanes, one in each direction, with no street lights and a canal with no guard rails to what it is today. Moved to NC in 2014. I was a Project Manager/Superintendent for a single family home build. Built many communities in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach

Oh and "I don't care". I enjoy the time spent working as well as reading and watching vids.
IMG_2657.JPG IMG_2659.JPG IMG_2072.JPG IMG_2403.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2401.JPG
    IMG_2401.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 17

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like your pines!
Thanks, I'm pleased you like them. From the top...P. cembra 'Glauca', mugo only after one year of torturing and raw scots pine.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't care AND I don't want a bonsai colection, I want a a minature arboretum. Tree is king!

Below.
Pinus rigida getting a ground layer
Larix laricina before a good prune
Pinus sylvestris before being planted in groundKIMG0252.jpg IMG_20170416_145233_444.jpg KIMG0113.jpg

Top Bottom