Do's and don't Winter care

stosh

Yamadori
Reaction score
After that cold winter in NYC I lost 4 Dwarf Juniper pre-bonsai. What are the Do's and Don't on winter care?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If I had only lost 4 trees I wouldn't be too worried, but I have many more than 4 trees. Care to add some context (i.e., approximate size of your collection)?

First order of business is to protect the roots. Unless you have alpine varieties, roots cannot withstand temperatures below 20F (give or take). The bigger the pot the more the seeming tolerance because of the thermal mass of the damp medium.

The second order of business is to protect the above ground part of the tree from exposure to fatal cold. This is easily judged by the USDA zones. If it is a tree in your zone, just embedding the pot in a mulch bed may be sufficient. Snow cover will add some insulation and protect from temporary (e.g., overnight) cold caused damage.

Do protect from drying wind/breezes.
Do be sure that the roots stay moist.
Locate your bonsai out of full sun.

Last edited:

stosh

Yamadori
Reaction score
My collection consist of: 1 10ys procumbent na na, 12 baby shimpaku, 3 Japenese maples and 1 Hinoki cypress. I've been told that a shed or garage is the best place during winter months.
Now after Thanksgiving is the rule of thumb that trees go dormant after that I can put them in the shed. Now do they need an sunlight in the shed?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My collection consist of: 1 10ys procumbent na na, 12 baby shimpaku, 3 Japenese maples and 1 Hinoki cypress. I've been told that a shed or garage is the best place during winter months.
Now after Thanksgiving is the rule of thumb that trees go dormant after that I can put them in the shed. Now do they need an sunlight in the shed?

If the temps inside the outbuilding are consistently at or below 40 F, the trees will not need sunlight.

stosh

Yamadori
Reaction score
If the temps inside the outbuilding are consistently at or below 40 F, the trees will not need sunlight.

So its fine in a pitch black shed and moist soil. Just want to be sure.

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So its fine in a pitch black shed and moist soil. Just want to be sure.
What Dav4 told you is true, but you mentioned moist soil..That must come from you. If left outdoors, Mother Nature should be able to take care of the watering.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, don't let them dry out. I've never lost a tree to the cold, but have lost a couple to dryness.

And if you intend to place them in a shed or garage, make sure there aren't rodents...they can do a lot of damage over the course of a winter.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Yeah, don't let them dry out. I've never lost a tree to the cold, but have lost a couple to dryness.

And if you intend to place them in a shed or garage, make sure there aren't rodents...they can do a lot of damage over the course of a winter.

Ditto Chris reg. the dryness. I need to use a heater, and this too dries trees out terribly...part of the trick is to have the heat evenly distributed which isn't easy in a packed house.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
When I stored my trees in a garage for the winter, they were mulched on the concrete floor. Other then applying some snow here and there when available through the winter, they weren't watered from November through March and I never lost one from drying out...just a thought.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ditto Chris reg. the dryness. I need to use a heater, and this too dries trees out terribly...part of the trick is to have the heat evenly distributed which isn't easy in a packed house.

Have you tried an oscillating fan in front of the heater, that's plugged in to the thermostat, so that when the heat comes on, the fan does, and helps to move the heat around?

I also use humidifiers on timers, that helps to keep the air from being so dry.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting suggestion, Judy. The little electric space heater I use in my 10x10 shelter has a fan, but it doesn't move much air around. Will think about adding a small oscillating fan on the same timer circuit.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Works great for me, I tested using my remote thermometer system with and without that fan. HUGE difference overall.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wet Sphagnum in the arctic killed a few of my trees last winter. Thats a don't for me.

Do replace the top layer of soil. Havent done it. But will this year.

Mounded snow is good.

On the ground is good.

Top Bottom