Arachnophobic don't laugh and please help!

I can assure you black widows are not in your garden. They are typically in dark, damp places, and prefer to never be disturbed - hence basements and around siding, piles of wood and cardboard etc. I have never encountered one in a garden setting.

The tiny spiders you encountered most likely just hatched. They are called slings and are entirely harmless.

They are obviously beneficial. If you claim to have no fear of death it should be in your capacity to overcome this fear as well.
Well I should have taken a pic of momma out “in my garden” you obviously are not familiar with the desert southwest. They are everywhere here in our dark damp climate. lol

Nah, this is a striped bark scorpion. Most common scorpion in Texas. I've been stung once, when I put my shoes on. Hurts, swells, but mostly a bee sting.
We are home to 40+ species of scorpions in this hell hole of a state. We have a lovely little fella that can kill you here also called a bark scorpion. We actually have more people die for them than rattlesnakes.

I have more, and more spiders (luckily they are harmless here in Poland).

A picture from three days ago. They are all less than a millimeter long, but they make up in numbers :)

View attachment 549100
I had a nest of those here on the Olympic Peninsula (2 hours outside of Seattle). They are common here - garden spiders. I let them be because they set up webs and eat tons of bugs. The nest slowly dispersed up the porch post, into the eaves, and out into the world. It was beautiful to watch (obviously, not to the arachnophobe).

Strangely when I lived in Southern Colorado and we had the annual tarantula mating season it never bothered me even though they absolutely swarm on walls, sidewalk etc. it’s something about the shiny ones.

We are home to 40+ species of scorpions in this hell hole of a state. We have a lovely little fella that can kill you here also called a bark scorpion. We actually have more people die for them than rattlesnakes.
I used to live in AZ. Was warned back then that the small species are the ones to really worry about. Don't know if that's true though.

I used to live in AZ. Was warned back then that the small species are the ones to really worry about. Don't know if that's true though.
The babies of the same species are more venomous than their parents.

It's true, they are about an inch long and a very light tan that blends nicely with most carpets here. LOL

Back
Top Bottom