Princess Persimmon

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Are you sure that your neighbor's tree is a rhombifolia and not some other species? Other ones have much larger fruit and leaves.
Ah your hunch is correct. It's not a rhombifolia. The fruits are larger and flatter in shape. Leaves are very nice but just too long.

But I might just ask if I can try to layer a branch next spring just for kicks.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice. So jealous! I planted some seeds 2 years ago. I got 12 plants and repotted them the following year without touching the roots. They all did really well the second year. This year I repotted again but cut back the roots and lost 6 of them. They are quite sensitive at least when young. Luckily I took several cuttings the first year! Live and learn..... Do you know the age of this tree?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice. So jealous! I planted some seeds 2 years ago. I got 12 plants and repotted them the following year without touching the roots. They all did really well the second year. This year I repotted again but cut back the roots and lost 6 of them. They are quite sensitive at least when young. Luckily I took several cuttings the first year! Live and learn..... Do you know the age of this tree?

Thanks Michael. I am guessing the tree is somewhere between 20 and 25 years old. I doubt it's less but it is possible that it could be older than that.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great, thanks Bill! I look forward to the article. I will get in touch with Julian and even perhaps have him bring it to the Winter Silhouette show if he is going.
Mach, are you going to the Silhouette show in Kannapolis NC?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@MACH5
I love your persimmon, really nice.

For What It's Worth.
I have over fifty seedling Diospyros virginiana - American persimmon, between one summer old and six years old. I have started a batch of seed every other year for the last seven years.

When I repotted in spring fatalities ran about 50% or higher. When I repotted late summer, or early autumn, I would have no fatalities, or maybe one or two if I did serious root work. Same with pruning, spring pruning often caused branch die back. Late summer or autumn pruning no problem. So far mine are too small to flower.

I believe all the persimmons prefer to not have transplanting nor pruning done in spring. Their roots look different than most species of trees I'm familiar with. I would be cautious about root pruning, and try to leave roots alone as much as possible.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
@MACH5

For What It's Worth.
I have over fifty seedling Diospyros virginiana - American persimmon, between one summer old and six years old. I have started a batch of seed every other year for the last seven years.

When I repotted in spring fatalities ran about 50% or higher. When I repotted late summer, or early autumn, I would have no fatalities, or maybe one or two if I did serious root work. Same with pruning, spring pruning often caused branch die back. Late summer or autumn pruning no problem. So far mine are too small to flower.

I believe all the persimmons prefer to not have transplanting nor pruning done in spring. Their roots look different than most species of trees I'm familiar with. I would be cautious about root pruning, and try to leave roots alone as much as possible.
In japan, common time for repotting these would be autumn

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Cool persimmon, Speed. I like it and you've done a great job on it as usual.

Scott

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5

For What It's Worth.

Thanks for the info Leo!

Cool persimmon, Speed. I like it and you've done a great job on it as usual.

Scott

Thank you Scotty!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You'se guys are getting pretty tight.

@MACH5 = Speed, @markyscott = Scotty (beam me up --> 'Beamer'?).

I was bemused by
Cool persimmon, Speed.
Siri is making some funny spell corrections?
Or its a pun on Mach5?
I wonder ... :confused:

I think we'll never know for sure :rolleyes:.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You'se guys are getting pretty tight.

@MACH5 = Speed, @markyscott = Scotty (beam me up --> 'Beamer'?).

I was bemused by

Siri is making some funny spell corrections?
Or its a pun on Mach5?
I wonder ... :confused:

I think we'll never know for sure :rolleyes:.

Some mysteries are best left unsolved.

S

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@MACH5

This ebay vendor claim to have male princess persimmon if you're still looking for them. I'm not sure of their value but it seems a bit pricey at $95 a pop for a young one. But what do I know:)

Also, I do question their business practice of making the leaves and branches greener than normal lol. Pretty deceptive if you ask me.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5

This ebay vendor claim to have male princess persimmon if you're still looking for them. I'm not sure of their value but it seems a bit pricey at $95 a pop for a young one. But what do I know:)

Also, I do question their business practice of making the leaves and branches greener than normal lol. Pretty deceptive if you ask me.

Thanks Micro! But I just picked one up from Julian Adams at the Winter Silhouette show at a MUCH better price. :)

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
LoL ebay prices are mostly inflated. Glad you found one.

Any update on this one? Fruit still on tree? How about a shot of both, next to each other, making fruits for next season?o_O

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
LoL ebay prices are mostly inflated. Glad you found one.

Any update on this one? Fruit still on tree? How about a shot of both, next to each other, making fruits for next season?o_O

Yes still on the tree. They last a while until they rot away. I will take a pic of them when I get a chance. The male tree I only intend to keep for pollination purposes but no plans in giving it any real shape and making it into a bonsai.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is the male Princess Persimmon tree I picked up from Julian Adams at the Winter Silhouette Bonsai Expo. It will be only kept to pollinate my two female trees and not for bonsai. Very reasonable price for a good size plant.

Top Bottom