For the record - Princess Persimmon from seed and flowering

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I started propagating princess persimmons when I arrived in NC in 2020. I just wanted to let people know that some of my year four seedlings are flowering this spring. I had previously heard estimates of six or seven years... or even "never" :) Over the next few years I will keep track of how many bloom at which age... and whether they are male or female.

pp-seedlings.jpg

Now you can determine if you have males or females. I wouldn't mind trying to pick up a female or two since I have that giant male.

I thought I would know if the tree is male or female by looking at the flower. I was surprised by seeing fruits from a tree that I convinced was a male tree. Am not complaining!
Now I have a question... how do you get the male and female to flower at the same time?
20240408_175519.jpg20240408_175607.jpg

I thought I would know if the tree is male or female by looking at the flower. I was surprised by seeing fruits from a tree that I convinced was a male tree. Am not complaining!
Now I have a question... how do you get the male and female to flower at the same time?
I wondered the same thing, because last year my large male flowered earlier than the female. However I put both trees on the same shelf directly next to one another, and this year they flowered at exactly the same time. So who knows?

Cool project. PP are great.

I have a pretty old one that was sold to me as a femail, but it's never flowered.

Any idea what's up with that?

Cool project. PP are great.

I have a pretty old one that was sold to me as a femail, but it's never flowered.

Any idea what's up with that?
Both males and females should flower - regardless of whether another plant is present. If the plant is strong and healthy, and is getting plenty of sun, I have no idea why it might not flower.

A local persimmon here in the US - the American persimmon (Diospyros virginiana) supposedly won't flower if it doesn't get enough phosphorous. I don't know if this information is applicable to Princess persimmon - or whether you are already fertilizing your plant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom