Princess Persimmon

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I was thinking about grafting some female shoots to my male Yew to get the berries I want. Is this possible?

Like, male tree w/ female parts also?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm afraid not Judy. In my opinion there is no good reason to spend time making the male trees into bonsai.

If many growing maple, elm, hornbeam, etc, etc as Bonsai why not these also:confused:?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If many growing maple, elm, hornbeam, etc, etc as Bonsai why not these also:confused:?

Sure I hear you. For me the only enjoyment I would get is in winter. They lack any significant autumn color, leaves in my opinion are just ok and even ramification is quirky and not fine. It works beautifully with fruit but without it... there are much better species to spend my time with as bonsai. Again all this is just my personal preference.

If I were to find a huge one with a great big ol' trunk... then maybe I would! :)

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 , or well anybody really... is it the norm for these to have really BLACK roots? Got a couple to grow from seed last year, and they looked perfectly healthy.. was repotting them this Slring and saw the black roots, thought they were dead! Looked it up though and others have said that is normal...

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Simple question, but how can you tell if they are male or female? Do you have to wait until they fruit and if so how many years does it take for that to happen?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
@MACH5 , or well anybody really... is it the norm for these to have really BLACK roots? Got a couple to grow from seed last year, and they looked perfectly healthy.. was repotting them this Slring and saw the black roots, thought they were dead! Looked it up though and others have said that is normal...
Yep perfectly normal. :)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I was on my phone this morning but here's why:
Family: Ebenaceae
Genus: Diospyros

There are about 700 or so species in the genus many of which have true ebony heartwood. :) You will notice those roots are hard as nails...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Simple question, but how can you tell if they are male or female? Do you have to wait until they fruit and if so how many years does it take for that to happen?

The flowers are different. The male flowers are clustered in groups, while the females are solitary. The males flowers also have longer stems and dangle off the branch, while the female flowers bloom right on the branch. When they are not in flower or leaf you can identify them by branch appearance, particularly if you have several individual plants next to each other. The males have much finer branching and finer ramification than the females. Some persimmons are self-fertile but not Princess persimmon.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The male of the species can't hold a candle to the female....;)

@JudyB It is interesting - today I was at House of Bonsai talking to Vickie about princess persimmon... and she prefers the male plants to the females. She likes the males for the finer ramification and thinner branching.

For what it's worth, I read that if you graft female persimmon scions onto male root stock, the resulting tree will be self-pollinating and will bear fruit.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@JudyB It is interesting - today I was at House of Bonsai talking to Vickie about princess persimmon... and she prefers the male plants to the females. She likes the males for the finer ramification and thinner branching.

For what it's worth, I read that if you graft female persimmon scions onto male root stock, the resulting tree will be self-pollinating and will bear fruit.
That would be a good experiment. Very interesting!

Top Bottom