Mirai tree sale

Yeah, that's about what I expected. I think the simple scale of what is being sold isn't evident in the pics. Some of the trees, like this one, are BIG, REALLY Big, only they don't look it.

this is very common with bonsai. You think it is a cute little pine and it really is a 4ft tall Ponderosa and those 'short-tight' needles are 4-5 inches long. I remember the first time I saw a zoomed out shot of this Ezo Spruce forest from Saburo Kato. I used to think it was this nice little forest. Then I saw the picture of it with people and realized the tiny forest was probably at least 5-6' wide and 3-4' tall.

Well, let's hope they all sell! What's good for this sale is good for Ryan. What's good for Ryan is good for bonsai in the US!

I love that there is a strong market here for trees in the $5K+ range. It just means that there are people who appreciate and desire them.
No doubt!

The median price (half the trees cost less than this, half cost more) is $3,350. Along with the mean (average) price of $4,221, it shows a good picture of what type of buyer he's targeting with his products. The average price is higher than the median primarily because of the $14k tree and the $10,500 tree. If you remove the three cheapest trees and three most expensive trees from the list, the average price goes down to $3,788, but that's not too bad of a drop. It shows he has a good spread of prices across the 33 trees for sale.

Many are obviously sold already, but here's how many trees in the sale were initially available for you to purchase with regards to budget.

Your Budget - Trees You Could Afford

$1,000 - 1
$2,000 - 5
$3,000 - 15
$4,000 - 19
$5,000 - 24
$6,000 - 26
$7,000 - 29
$8,000 - 30
$10,000 - 31
$14,000 - 33

The biggest jump in number of trees available to you is from $2,000 to $3,000, with a budget of $3k giving you 10 additional options over $2k. The rest of the price jumps aren't nearly as significant, with the next highest being the rise from $4k to $5k that opens up 5 additional trees. Therefore, while a budget of $14,000 enables you to purchase ANY of the 33 trees for sale, a budget of just $3,000 is not too bad. $3,000 is only 21% of $14,000, yet 45% of the trees for sale are available to you. If you had the median price ($3,350) as a budget, then 17 trees would be available to you. If you had the mean price ($4,221) as a budget, then 21 trees are available.

Looks like $3,000 is a good number to have in your pocket for a Mirai sale. :)

Well, let's hope they all sell! What's good for this sale is good for Ryan. What's good for Ryan is good for bonsai in the US!

I love that there is a strong market here for trees in the $5K+ range. It just means that there are people who appreciate and desire them.

This is how I take it too. I knew I wasn't the intended audience, but I was curious to see the spread in price and where his bottom was. He's going for it and succeeding - that's awesome.

They did that last year. They put them back in the store as sold after a few hours.

Am always curious about this. If I list the same tree and asking for the same price. Will people buy it or they only willing to pay maybe 15% of tree listed by Ryan? I think people are paying at least 50% of the price because of his name.

I'll sell any of my trees for 1/3 of that! 🤣
I know, right?!

Would I buy a $3,000 bonsai anytime soon? No. I'm too new at the hobby to attempt keeping a tree that expensive. It would just be too nerve-wracking right now. Three to five years down the road though? Hmm, maybe. My biggest hurdle with spending that much money on bonsai would be convincing my wife why I wanted to spend $3,000 on a tree. Even IF I could get her on board, it'd be hard for me to spend all that cash on just one. I think I'd rather have two $1,500 trees or three $1,000 trees instead. I understand the "quality over quantity" argument, but a tree that costs $1,000 is still going to be pretty darn nice quality!

I think people are paying at least 50% of the price because of his name.
Yep. Name recognition is a BIG deal in anything art-related, bonsai included. Big-name painters, photographers, jewelers, potters, fashion designers, and chefs get paid what they do because of name recognition and reputation.

Pretty much all those trees are out of my league

Yep. Name recognition is a BIG deal in anything art-related, bonsai included. Big-name painters, photographers, jewelers, potters, fashion designers, and chefs get paid what they do because of name recognition and reputation.
You‘d think I’d have name recognition. I gotta imagine at least half the homes in this country have TV or internet provided by “cable”…

I wonder how many if any were purchase by collections? Such as some of the ones in California or the one in Federal Way??

I wonder how many if any were purchase by collections? Such as some of the ones in California or the one in Federal Way??
Few. Very few. I would assume they would approach Ryan directly and not depend on what happens to be on sale.

Am always curious about this. If I list the same tree and asking for the same price. Will people buy it or they only willing to pay maybe 15% of tree listed by Ryan? I think people are paying at least 50% of the price because of his name.
You know the name pays into it, but also what it stands for. A professional who cannot afford to sell a tree for 5k with hidden problems. The name adds value, but not just because of name.

There is a trader in the Netherlands where people buy 1K+ trees unseen. He is asked to bring trees from Japan which are bought unseen, and imported. He has a good name. Any problem, he will fix it and the trees he imports are pretty much always worth their mony. A name = trust.

Basically none of these trees are finished, or rather, show ready. For some of the prices there I’d want a show ready tree. They’re big, sure, but blimey.

Plus, the ages of the trees are complete guesses, too many of the same age. Has any dating been done? I mean it’s fine to speculate for a personal collection etc, but when selling you have a duty to be accurate in your descriptions.

Also, I disagree about it being good for or being a sign of healthy American bonsai market. What it shows is that there are some (33) people with more money than sense and 33 sales is not a true reflection of any marketplace really.

This guy irritates me to be honest. He seems like a snake oil salesman to me. He could sell rocking horse poo if he was so inclined, but he sells bonsai instead for super inflated prices. Fair play if people do want to spend their money, fair play for the business plan of the yearly sale, but pricing bonsai out of the reach of 99% of people is less encouraging for average joe, more just shows people what most of them can’t ever reach.

Bit of a rant but it’s just my 2p

Basically none of these trees are finished, or rather, show ready. For some of the prices there I’d want a show ready tree. They’re big, sure, but blimey.

Plus, the ages of the trees are complete guesses, too many of the same age. Has any dating been done? I mean it’s fine to speculate for a personal collection etc, but when selling you have a duty to be accurate in your descriptions.

Also, I disagree about it being good for or being a sign of healthy American bonsai market. What it shows is that there are some (33) people with more money than sense and 33 sales is not a true reflection of any marketplace really.

This guy irritates me to be honest. He seems like a snake oil salesman to me. He could sell rocking horse poo if he was so inclined, but he sells bonsai instead for super inflated prices. Fair play if people do want to spend their money, fair play for the business plan of the yearly sale, but pricing bonsai out of the reach of 99% of people is less encouraging for average joe, more just shows people what most of them can’t ever reach.

ah see this is the ambition part i was talking about. nobody is stopping anyone from making their own trees.
with a bit more drive, ambition, confidence they can.
he has showed many what can be done with raw nursery stock, field grown material and collected stock. again, dont be in awe, be inspired. you can find material like that crypto in a landscape nursery.
so no i dont think a lot of his stuff is out of reach to the masses.
unless Randy knight is the only person allowed to collect🤔

most people still arent even buying material in the $250 to $450 range.

Last edited:

I can understand this point of view. I’d be lying if I didn’t think in a similar fashion once or twice before. But my feelings on Ryan & Mirai have evolved.

Creating compelling bonsai content is hard work. Just writing my little blog on a regular basis for a few months has been a commitment. To me, these sales are the culmination of all the work, the videos, the creation of content that Ryan and his team have created over the years. They’ve created fans, an audience and a brand. Good for them. Well deserved.

The better question, and the one I heard Ryan ask himself on a video recently, is it all worth it?

I’ve never met him, but the weight of Mirai seems heavy upon his shoulders. I hope all of it makes him happy and fulfilled, because bonsai should make all of us happy, not stressed to the max.

✌🏻❤️🌲

Probably none. I would be very surprised if any did. I'd guess all of those trees went to private collections and buyers.

Not defending Ryan, but just some perspective. He charges what he charges. He's found a market. The fact ALL of those trees were sold within a few minutes to an hour shows there is a ready demand--and yeah, those trees are as old as advertised. May not be the specific age he's put down, but they're probably pretty close. Old trees like those are all over the Western U.S. As for "regular joes" like you and me, sales and prices like these can mean more old collected (and less expensive) trees finding their way to our market (at least here in the U.S.).

That has happened in the last decade or so here. Back in the 90's, Japanese imports were the pinnacle of bonsai commanding eye-watering prices. People paid premiums for imports. Those trees are still around, but the range of native species, including really old trees, has increased exponentially since then. Sales like these have spurred others to collect and sell for much lower prices.

As for the sales trees, there is "finished" and "show finished." None of those trees are ready for show, but some are pretty close. If you've ever worked with such old material you'd know that just getting them into containers alive in the years post-collection can be quite a job in itself. All of those trees have history and/or were collected by people who knew where to look and how to get them out. Not to mention getting them settled in a pot. He works with one of the premier collectors in the U.S. for big, old native conifers. Access to that collector's stock isn't easy to get. This is kind of irritating, but it is what it is. There are other collectors selling great stock for a lot less.

I don't think Ryan is a snakeoil salesman. Yes, he sets the taste and market, just like in-demand "real" artists do. Ever priced a Banksy? It can be galling sometimes, but I got over it. I'm not his audience, can't really keep a tree like that in my area and don't have that kind of cash to throw around. I've never purchased a tree from Ryan, but have seen him work at workshops. He knows trees and how to get them healthy and manage them, particularly old native conifer species. He has developed specific techniques for those native species and figured out how to adapt bonsai techniques to them--he didn't just apply rote Japanese practices.

One would think a lot of the people buying these trees live near Ryan or can make the effort to go see him. I wonder how many of those trees will stay at Mirai "in residence" with owners traveling to work on them. That's kind of how big time Japanese bonsai buyers operate--buy an expensive tree, have the nursery care for it...

Back
Top Bottom