Mirai tree sale

This wasn't a commission, Ryan visited me and bought it one day (I live ~30min away.)
I remember when you posted that pic in the pot thread. That's I thought he commissioned a few pots from you, because of your comment with the picture of the trident after repot. Love the blue one... I got your site bookmarked at home for when I start buying pots. All my trees are in pond baskets, nursery pots, or rootpouch and not even near the pot stage.

This guy irritates me to be honest. He seems like a snake oil salesman to me. He could sell rocking horse poo if he was so inclined, but he sells bonsai instead for super inflated prices.
Snake oil salesman? That’s absurd. And given how quickly they sold, I’d argue that some were underpriced.

....... The name of the game is buy low, sell high, but I’d love to know what his markup is on the junipers from Randy knight, for example.
I think this is simple...call Randy Knight, and ask him how much it costs to get you a Yamadori :p

Mirai Live - and other on line methods of experiencing Ryan Neil are really good value for the offerings, and are not as high end a niche as the sales of Mirai trees. There is a little of Ryan for everyone, at any price point. The free YouTube videos mean you can even enjoy some of his offerings for free.

What a great point, Leo! I had not really thought about it this way. A very gracious perspective. Love it!

ok, well to put it another way, how many of these are worth 4-5 grand? From nursery to pot.
Well, since they're mostly collected trees over 200-300 years old they're probably less costly year to year than your average nursery developed tree and better than anything you will find in a nursery...

Hey, if these aren’t inflated prices then 5 grand must mean less over there than it does over here. I respectfully disagree that these trees are worth the dosh, but it ain’t my money so there we go. I’m out.
You can always buy from Michael

........ He also encourages one and all to duplicate his efforts. He is very open, he shows how he does pretty much everything.
Last month I subscribed to Mirai Live.... for a year and I haven't regretted it yet...So much info...much more than I can get at a one-day workshop, and for (in my opinion) a very reasonable price.

But I will take this moment for a shameless opportunistic flash sale

reply if interested, shipping on buyer from Oregon

$400 slanted rectangle
OD:16x12x3" ID: 15x11x2.5"

$300 soft rounded rectangle
OD: 13x9.5x2.5"
Those are both awesome! If I was in the market for a nice pot, I'd have trouble deciding which one of those to get.

I really can't add much. I do have to say, I met Ryan a number of times before Mirai opened. He was in the middle stages of planning and beginning the execution of opening Mirai. At the time Ryan talked openly of bench marking a niche in the USA bonsai market. He wanted to take his experience of the Japanese market, and help create a niche of similar quality and priced trees.

Ryan trained at Kimura's nursery. Kimura does not sell $25 trees to novice bonsai growers in Japan. In all likely hood at Kimura's, the lowest priced trees are probably more expensive than Ryan's median price. Likely more than $4000 to get an entry level tree from Kimura's nursery. Ryan's stated goal was to develop a similar niche in the USA. I'd say he has done well.

He has worked hard to create a brand name, which is not just marketing, you have to have the skills to back up the marketing. He also encourages one and all to duplicate his efforts. He is very open, he shows how he does pretty much everything. He encourages others, he encourages potters, by selling their pots for far more than they have the courage to market their pots at. He is Benchmarking a niche. And is hard work is making it easier for other artists. For example, Bjorn likely has noticed it is easier to ask better prices for his trees, and his work, in part because Ryan has absorbed the initial price shock. As long as Bjorn is perceived to be a little less expensive than Ryan, he has a steady clientele without having to fight as hard for the higher prices.

I think Ryan's prices are fair, he is offering value for the prices he asks. And he is not asking those who can not afford these trees to buy them. He is marketing to the niche that can afford the prices he asks.

So I do not knock Ryan at all for his pricing structure.

I was just catching up on this thread and was having similar assumptions which you just confirmed about the Japanese market. He constantly talks about driving to the "next level" or talks about striving for a very high tier of bonsai. Cost does follow. It's kind of genius, if he can really plant the seed of interest via his videos and business, and then successfully sell at $14k+, it seems to me that it's working. It's struck me as trying to build a cohesive industry around something that has never truly seemed to move past the hobbyist level in the US in the collective sense.

As you call out, he's provided something at every level including free. It's kind of a groundswell strategy and it's kind of great for us, I would think, as if it takes off then there will likely be more folks trying to imitate and hit other parts of the market.

Everyone discussing the price of Bonsai is funny to think about. Here I am defending prices of trees while losing bid wars trying to find a house.
Money is so fake and stupid to think about. Like many folks I own stocks, 401k etc. In a single day my portfolio can tank or soar tens of thousands of dollars. So when I'm thinking about shelling out 2 more dollars for the "good" beer or a nice tree I remember this and just buy the damn thing.

I don't know why people are complaining about prices when they sold out in minutes. This is like going to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance car show and complaining they have no Corollas for the common folk. In fact I would wager these are the trees he is weeding out not even the real good ones. I will freely admit to not understanding who is paying $1000 for brand new geometric pots, minimalist tree stands, and deadwood wall frames but they are. I am OK financially and he is still not interested in people at my skill or income level. He is a Ferrari dealer.

We all have an evolution on our bonsai journey and unfortunately also have an income ceiling. I can recall think it was insanity to pay $40 for a bag of dirt and struggling with the idea of dropping $100 at evergreen gardenworks. Now I can't imagine not using Akadama and have even starting using the Aoki mix. $100 also doesn't seem as much anymore. I very likely will have a $1000 tree in the coming years. A bump in income and that number would easily go up. I don't fault anyone for growing sticks in a pot using turface if that is all you can do but on the flip side I see no harm is some with the income means buying a $14K tree and a couple of deadwood tree frames either. Only thing I have ever struggled with revolves around collecting 250-500 year old trees in the first place but, even so, it is arbitrary to consider an old tree any more sacred than a 25 year tree.

Last edited:
Money is so fake and stupid to think about. Like many folks I own stocks, 401k etc. In a single day my portfolio can tank or soar tens of thousands of dollars. So when I'm thinking about shelling out 2 more dollars for the "good" beer or a nice tree I remember this and just buy the damn thing.
I started doing stock about a little over a year ago. The daily movements help me not to think too much about how much we paid for vacation or having a nice dinner. I used to be a lot more careful with money until I start putting money in stocks.

stil.. interested in knowing why the potentilla would be worth that much. Seems like a regular, unstyled pland as I have a dozen

stil.. interested in knowing why the potentilla would be worth that much. Seems like a regular, unstyled pland as I have a dozen
Style and care by Ryan... must be worth something.

Half of the value is the Jonathan Cross pot in this case
The other half is easily the fact that you have 2 live-streams of Ryan Neil potting and styling your tree and talking through all of his design choices and how to work on this unusual species for bonsai. That's easily worth twice what was paid for the tree.

Back
Top Bottom