Diving into pottery

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Super impressed you managed to fire that large round pot without it breaking, looks great!

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been wanting to try pottery myself but the kiln of a size I'd like is way out of my budget

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I've been wanting to try pottery myself but the kiln of a size I'd like is way out of my budget
Look on Kilnshare.com or other online classifieds. Lots of people rent out kiln space. I’m not as familiar with Europe but don’t let that stop you. Good luck

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Super impressed you managed to fire that large round pot without it breaking, looks great!
The clay I use is pretty good about not cracking if I do everything right. The floor warped a little bit I’m going to start firing the large pots upside down. Thanks

arbuscula

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8+
I've enjoyed going through this thread and getting educated about the ups and downs gone through - thanks to all 👍. Some great pots for sure 😊

Feel like I'm intruding a bit but...
Noticed back around page 15 (?) talk about dipping the pots for glazing... kind of expecting to see something mentioned as I'm putting next;
Some time this year I watched a Bonsai Q YouTube video about pots... visiting a pottery and glazing etc. They show how they do the glaze by dipping... using wire pushed up through the drainage holes. The wire has 'blanking pads' (my term not theirs) that cover the drainage holes inside so stopping the glaze and air escaping. As to the wire holes... maybe they just blank them off similarly... cardboard taped over? They then balance the pots from the wires and dip. I can't find the link to post but may be worth you guys having a look for better visual description than my attempt to describe?

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I've enjoyed going through this thread and getting educated about the ups and downs gone through - thanks to all 👍. Some great pots for sure 😊

Feel like I'm intruding a bit but...
Noticed back around page 15 (?) talk about dipping the pots for glazing... kind of expecting to see something mentioned as I'm putting next;
Some time this year I watched a Bonsai Q YouTube video about pots... visiting a pottery and glazing etc. They show how they do the glaze by dipping... using wire pushed up through the drainage holes. The wire has 'blanking pads' (my term not theirs) that cover the drainage holes inside so stopping the glaze and air escaping. As to the wire holes... maybe they just blank them off similarly... cardboard taped over? They then balance the pots from the wires and dip. I can't find the link to post but may be worth you guys having a look for better visual description than my attempt to describe?
Thanks! I have used the dipping technique but I rather spray it’s tough to dip large pots and have them turn out well

arbuscula

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8+
Thanks! I have used the dipping technique but I rather spray it’s tough to dip large pots and have them turn out well
I can understand that. My concern, if I was doing this,would be trying to balance the pot suspended by the wires.

It's many, many moons ago that I did anything with clay - way back in school when about 8 😉. I was pondering maybe join a class and give pot making a go but your thread has shown the ups and downs of it. 👍

Top Bottom