Diving into LED lighting

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I ordered a 900W Mars 2 LED light and it arrived yesterday. And boy, is it bright.

Off:
005.jpg

On:
004.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This light is still warm and will heat up your tent. Make sure to use a small fan or two for air exchange. Also make sure to hang this lamp 3 feet above your trees. And last, do not look directly at these lights as they will burn out your eyes as fast as the sun. In fact, at the grow store you can get "grow goggles" that are just real good sunglasses.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This light is still warm and will heat up your tent. Make sure to use a small fan or two for air exchange. Also make sure to hang this lamp 3 feet above your trees. And last, do not look directly at these lights as they will burn out your eyes as fast as the sun. In fact, at the grow store you can get "grow goggles" that are just real good sunglasses.

Thanks Dave!

I actually am not going to use this in a tent. I plan on building another wooden structure, one where I feel comfortable hanging this light from. I'll wrap it in mylar so it reflects the light. Is 3 feet above the trees not too far? See, I'm used to T5s, where the higher above the trees you go, the less light the trees get. Is that not the case with LED's?

I made the mistake of looking into the light, and it is pretty bright LOL. I just bought some of those goggles off Amazon.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is 3 feet above the trees not too far? See, I'm used to T5s, where the higher above the trees you go, the less light the trees get. Is that not the case with LED's?

This is from Jerry's website when he tested the LED vs. T5:

"The LED bar should not be mounted closer than 18" from the top of your plants. For seedlings 20 to 24" should be about right. By placing your bar closer than the recommended mounting distance plants received too much light (photo-inhibition), and the light does not have a chance to mix properly before reaching your canopy. This would cause growth to slow and the plant leaves to grow in an unnatural shape."

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is from Jerry's website when he tested the LED vs. T5:

"The LED bar should not be mounted closer than 18" from the top of your plants. For seedlings 20 to 24" should be about right. By placing your bar closer than the recommended mounting distance plants received too much light (photo-inhibition), and the light does not have a chance to mix properly before reaching your canopy. This would cause growth to slow and the plant leaves to grow in an unnatural shape."

No. Too close and it will burn almost any leaf. 3 feet and you will be just fine. No closer. This is a very bright lamp.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At 3 feet it will cover a 4 x 4 foot area quite well. You will be at maximum light level. Then it is up to you to control the other variables - water, food, air flow around your trees, correct humidity, and air exchange to roots (loose, free draining soil). Then you will have very healthy trees.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It should be noted that Jerry's LED test is several years old, and LED technology has improved quite a bit.

Over the next few days I'll build my new box. It'll have to be at least 5 feet tall so the light is still 3 feet from the top of the tallest tree. I'll cover it in mylar as well.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You don't have to cover it in Mylar. The light is bright enough. I think you can grow most tropicals in 50 % humidity. Of course, I don't know how humid it is in your house. If it's very dry, by all means enclose your trees to raise humidity.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You don't have to cover it in Mylar. The light is bright enough. I think you can grow most tropicals in 50 % humidity. Of course, I don't know how humid it is in your house. If it's very dry, by all means enclose your trees to raise humidity.

Well it's not so much to increase humidity. I don't want my room glowing pink lol.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well it's not so much to increase humidity. I don't want my room glowing pink lol.

Ha ha ! Yes it will look like a UFO landed in your house !!! Just make sure your air isn't too stagnant or humid. Exchange air and 50% humidity and it will work out well for you.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ha ha ! Yes it will look like a UFO landed in your house !!! Just make sure your air isn't too stagnant or humid. Exchange air and 50% humidity and it will work out well for you.

I'll definitely use a fan. Hopefully the fan helps keep the mites down. Last year was relentless.

The setup will be a 4x4x5 box. I'll start it this week.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had mites before and prevention is the best medicine. Healthy conditions and healthy trees equals no mites. BTW my mite problems have always happened with stagnant too humid air.

Top Bottom