What do you think this JBP is worth

I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with NE Bonsai Gardens. They're a fine place.

But that tree is the kind that has the wire embedded into the JBP stock. Brussels sells them, too.

My point was, letting the wire embed will permanently scar the trunk. Maybe in 50 years it will go away, but in my lifetime, that scar will be there.

But it's possible to get a curvy lower trunk, and remove the wire before it embeds, and still have a curvy trunk.

I'll post one that I have. It's not a great tree, but it's all twisted up.

Here's my little twisted up JBP. I bought it at our club auction last fall. It's still showing winter color.

image.jpg

That must be at your friend's, Ed Clark? Is his name?

I'm not a fan of the twisted up JBP with the wire left in. Don't mind them all twisted up, but it seems they could have removed the wire before it was completely buried.

I know that's how they make the mass produced grafted JWP on JBP stock. Not s fan of those either.

Just say'n.
Ted Matson presented at my club last year, discussing shohin JBP and shimpaku, and seemed excited over this technique. He mentioned Ed's name and another grower in Fresno. They are intent on developing heavily twisted trunks on young material and touting how leaving the wire on develops the trunks faster etc... I did not like the way his material looked; the trunks bulged in many places in between the wire scars, leaving an unnatural appearance in my opinion. Ted said the trees out grow the wire scars, but from what I've seen here and on the internet I don't see how the effects of the embedded wire can be hidden.

Last edited:
I thought they had some nice trees on their list currently too though- the little JWP were cool and reasonably priced for imports... Not that I am drooping $250 on a tree right now (I have a bunch to work on this Spring, don't need to increase it..) but if I were, this might make the list!
http://www.nebonsai.com/mm5/merchan...ode=NEBG&Product_Code=TM_29&Category_Code=BON

I don't know maybe they have some nice scores on there but seems like their prices are a little inflated for the material they sell. You could get a nice pine,maple or the like for a fraction in fall at local nurserys if your dedicated to look and willing to take the journey with the tree.

I don't know maybe they have some nice scores on there but seems like their prices are a little inflated for the material they sell. You could get a nice pine,maple or the like for a fraction in fall at local nurserys if your dedicated to look and willing to take the journey with the tree.
Nope, ya can't. Not around here. There is NOT a local nursery in Columbia SC that sells Bonsai. The closest we have is the Bonsai learning Center in NC. So, there is no local Bonsai nursery.... And we aren't talking about Maples or Austrian Pines or whatever you can find at a big box store or commercial nursery. The discussion was about JBP, or even JWP Bonsai and pre- bonsai stock which certainly is never and never has been available at local nurseries in my area. It simply doesn't exist here and it certainly is not on sale in the Fall. I am relegated to driving for HOURS to find a bonsai nursery, buying from local friends who sometimes sell Bonsai stock (most of whom do not have a lot of Lines because we get needle cast like crazy around here it seems on Black Pine) or purchasing online. Which again, is a pointless discussion for me to enter into right now because I do not intend to spend hundreds of dollars on a new tree right now!

That said, I come to Virginia frequently to visit my brother, so If you know of some good bonsai nurseries selling this kind of stock at deep discounts in the Fall in your local area please let me know and I might pay one a visit the next time I come up there!

There are no bonsai nurseries in my area either(close anyway), but there are amazing landscape nurseries here that have everything you can think of-I've gotten a massive JBP(6' perfect bonsai material) for 25$ two white pines and a shimpaku, yeah I don't bother going to big box stores, mostly grafted crap and bad material. Pm me and i'll fill you in on all the good landscape nurseries to check out in my area and if you want come on by!

Edit this is the massive JBP

http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/large-black-pine.17509/

Last edited:
I just watched the last video from Plant City, talked about JBP being hard to come by.

At 120$ maybe ok. But definitely no more.

Sorce
That sounds like a sellers sales pitch. They're almost as common as weeds out here.

There are no bonsai nurseries in my area either(close anyway), but there are amazing landscape nurseries here that have everything you can think of-I've gotten a massive JBP(6' perfect bonsai material) for 25$ two white pines and a shimpaku, yeah I don't bother going to big box stores, mostly grafted crap and bad material. Pm me and i'll fill you in on all the good landscape nurseries to check out in my area and if you want come on by!

Edit this is the massive JBP

http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/large-black-pine.17509/

"Massive" black pine are pretty common in nurseries here. I could go out and get a dozen like this from three or four landscape nurseries here in No.Va. HOWEVER, the tree you pictured is a very long way from bonsai, like a decade or two, possibly more. It's nice, but not excellent, compared to what you can get on the West Cost for less money in some cases.

What is needed on the east coast is black pine specifically groomed for bonsai use. Here in the east, we really don't have much experience in seeing REALLY good black pine stock which means some pretty fair to middlin' stock is judged to be great.

Agreed Rockm.
There is not enough pre-bonsai growers in general in the US, especially the northeast. We need more.

I've gotten disgusted with myself trying to rationalize buying nursery stock that lacks features. Looking at a straight trunked kotobuki black pine last year i thought to myself, it's straight, it lacks taper and it's grafted. Why am i even looking at this?? just because it says black pine on the label?? Now i'd rather either spend the money and get something worthwhile, or spend little on something I will grow out myself to try and get the features I want for the future of the tree rather than trying to back track on some nursery stuff.

I've gotten disgusted with myself trying to rationalize buying nursery stock that lacks features. Looking at a straight trunked kotobuki black pine last year i thought to myself, it's straight, it lacks taper and it's grafted. Why am i even looking at this?? just because it says black pine on the label?? Now i'd rather either spend the money and get something worthwhile, or spend little on something I will grow out myself to try and get the features I want for the future of the tree rather than trying to back track on some nursery stuff.

NOW you are getting it. ;) It just takes time to get to that point where you see that you are actually wasting money and time with material that will never be excellent. This of course is not true in all cases, but with todays nursery stock as opposed to the old time nurseries (that are mostly gone) it's getting more true all the time. I think you'll be happy if you start down this path. I know I've never looked back....

Could just be the photo but I see a lot of yellow,and the green is very pale,I wouldn't buy the tree.

"Massive" black pine are pretty common in nurseries here. I could go out and get a dozen like this from three or four landscape nurseries here in No.Va. HOWEVER, the tree you pictured is a very long way from bonsai, like a decade or two, possibly more. It's nice, but not excellent, compared to what you can get on the West Cost for less money in some cases.

What is needed on the east coast is black pine specifically groomed for bonsai use. Here in the east, we really don't have much experience in seeing REALLY good black pine stock which means some pretty fair to middlin' stock is judged to be great.

Very true but for 25$, which is what I paid,it's fun to work on

NOW you are getting it. ;) It just takes time to get to that point where you see that you are actually wasting money and time with material that will never be excellent. This of course is not true in all cases, but with todays nursery stock as opposed to the old time nurseries (that are mostly gone) it's getting more true all the time. I think you'll be happy if you start down this path. I know I've never looked back....

I sure hope so. I find that as I become more strict with what I want, there is far less material to choose from that fits the bill.

For instance I've been half heartedly looking for good Japanese Maple material, either pre-bonsai or somewhat worked. I don't want something grafted, that needs to be grown out, or that is finished and costs a grand. Appears that material is not so common but admittedly I haven't been too aggressive in my hunt. So i substitute by buying nice pots!

Mark Comstock (aka pre-bonsai Mark) has some nice Japanese maples on Facebook. Bonsai Classifieds.

Yep, Ive reached that point too. After walking through a nursery finding nothing that will work for bonsai, I often say to myself "why did I bother looking anyway?" But sometimes its nice to take the walk after work I suppose...lol

As for maples, you wont find it on Long Island. Youll have to buy online or at one of the Bonsai shows like MABS.

here is what I get for 40 bucks...
16.JPG

if there are any left!
Go to Home Depot or Lowes. Buy a pine tree. Have fun and learn at a low cost. I don't think the tree shown here is worth $40.

Actually No, I don't know. I would love to see some pictures of any of these trees. You said "All of those imported trees have wire and every one looks artificial, have any pics to show this? Any exhibit east coast or west coast?
Wire scars are just one of the things that happens. A little scarring will grow out in time. (Usually.). It depends upon the species.

But intentionally leaving the wire in to promote a rough trunk? To me, it's a "mallsai" technique.

Here's a tree that I won off the raffle table at a club meeting...although it's not an import I think this is what y'all are debating about. I don't see how this will ever out grow the wire, scars and RT...

Attachments

• IMG_2153.JPG
    IMG_2153.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2154.JPG
    IMG_2154.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2155.JPG
    IMG_2155.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 47
Nope, ya can't. Not around here. There is NOT a local nursery in Columbia SC that sells Bonsai. The closest we have is the Bonsai learning Center in NC. So, there is no local Bonsai nursery.... And we aren't talking about Maples or Austrian Pines or whatever you can find at a big box store or commercial nursery. The discussion was about JBP, or even JWP Bonsai and pre- bonsai stock which certainly is never and never has been available at local nurseries in my area. It simply doesn't exist here and it certainly is not on sale in the Fall. I am relegated to driving for HOURS to find a bonsai nursery, buying from local friends who sometimes sell Bonsai stock (most of whom do not have a lot of Lines because we get needle cast like crazy around here it seems on Black Pine) or purchasing online. Which again, is a pointless discussion for me to enter into right now because I do not intend to spend hundreds of dollars on a new tree right now!

That said, I come to Virginia frequently to visit my brother, so If you know of some good bonsai nurseries selling this kind of stock at deep discounts in the Fall in your local area please let me know and I might pay one a visit the next time I come up there!
Try Plant City Bonsai.

Back
Top Bottom