Is this JBP worth the investment?

I might be inclined to save my money for something better.

Have you been to Bonsai Northwest? I stopped in a couple of years ago when I had some down time on a business trip. Their prices seemed reasonable.
I have been there and they do have a lot of material for reasonable prices. Much lower then what I've seen online. But still more then I can justify to the wife right now. i also really love the trunk on this tree. :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg OK here it is! I'm going to be vulnerable here.
I did the chop already. I thought it's September and the weather is cooling here and I can't have a 4foot tree blend into my bonsai bench:)(hoping this one would sit there unnoticed understand?)
I wired up a new leader(I realized after, that I wound it In the wrong direction but it is serving its purpose right now.) I will wire the rest in a couple weeks.
I also thought I would only do the chop now and repot next year.
there are 2 parallel branches on the left side and the top one will either become a back branch or I will use this for scions eventually.
I felt the top of the tree had served it sacrificial purpose.
You can see the graft just barely visible halfway down the trunk so I am really happy with the trunk on this as the graft is basically invisible and blended into the tree already.
Any suggestion as to movement with new leader or how to handle the rest of tree will be appreciated
Ok lemme have it! -Mike

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 11
Falls coming in your parts? Grab a rake, toss WeeMaloghurst into a lil' red wagon with a tarp and a bunch of lawn bags and scour the residentials!!!

Oooppsss......
nope.gif

Patience bro......you just tossed some gold out the window! Too soon, too soon!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Oooppsss......
View attachment 116636

Patience bro......you just tossed some gold out the window! Too soon, too soon!:confused::confused::confused::confused:
I expected as much, I did say I was being vulnerable. I've done pretty drastic chops in September here previously and they worked out. I would have waited if I could but sadly as I stated previously I could not leave a 4' tree lying around.:(. I sealed the wound and hopefully it will recover nicely. I've read that these trees are active even in the winter.

I expected as much, I did say I was being vulnerable. I've done pretty drastic chops in September here previously and they worked out. I would have waited if I could but sadly as I stated previously I could not leave a 4' tree lying around.:(. I sealed the wound and hopefully it will recover nicely. I've read that these trees are active even in the winter.
I think he meant that you should have attempted an air layer. I don't blame you for hiding it, I have to do that all the time! I actually told my fiancé the other day that I sneak trees in under her nose and she gave me a snarling look, since I have a Forest of trees, she has issues distinguishing new from old lol

Aaron

I think he meant that you should have attempted an air layer. I don't blame you for hiding it, I have to do that all the time! I actually told my fiancé the other day that I sneak trees in under her nose and she gave me a snarling look, since I have a Forest of trees, she has issues distinguishing new from old lol

Aaron
Ok that makes more sense but I honestly just didn't want to mess around with the air layer. I have other air layer going right now and some work and some don't I just wanted this for the tree itself and not wait around to see if an air layer takes or not. I did consider that from the first time I saw it. Thanks for understanding. -mike

If you're in Seattle, definitely go to Bonsai NW and check out their JBP pre-bonsai. Pretty sure they have some Kotobuki also. Prices are very fair based on what I have seen up and down the west coast and no, I don't work there. LOL

View attachment 116524 View attachment 116522 View attachment 116523 View attachment 116522Hello all, saw this Small needle cultivar of JBP for 50% off, $45.00. Trunk looks pretty good with aged bark and taper etc. not sure about this cultivar though (back budding etc) looks pretty good to me but didn't want to waste my time, money and effort if the experts don't see the potential. Thank you, Mike
For $45? You bet. There is potential in this tree. Nice inexpensive cultivare to be able to practice in and hone your skills without the fear of killing a big $ tree, been there done that. It would also make a nice stock tree. I would buy it. Slip pot it. Fertilize. Then have some fun with it.

Why 'Slip pot it.' as opposed to 'Wait until next spring to repot it', say, or 'Half bare root it.'?
A lot of circling roots on top. I would slip into slightly shallower and wider training box. Let the feeders move outward. Plenty of time for root pruning later on.

I'll be a bad guy now. I still wonder why it is still not in a bonsai pot. This was a demonstration tree, wasn't it?:)

Since you chopped it, do nothing else to the tree but water until the spring.

Don't repot or slip pot or anything to the roots now.

Water
Sun
Winter protection
Nothing else
Nothing

In Seatle? He could most likely get away with root pruning now. But I wouldnt.

In the Seattle area, now is still a great time to repot conifers (Douglas fir, junipers, lodgepole pines, mugo pine, p. thunbergii, p. sylvestris, p. nigra, p. strobus, true fir, and spruce). It is also a great time for quince, zelkova, rose, and certainly more.

With regard to thunbergii and tsuga, though, I've run into problems bare rooting from nursery mix, regardless of timing. Half bare rooting, however, works, be it spring or after the summer solstice. I think this more productive than just slipping into a bigger pot or grow box (loosen roots all around and under; gently wash and comb out one side of the root mass; pot the works surrounded on all sides by a good bonsai substrate; repeat next year to complete the job).

Of course, there is the option of doing noting other than fertilizing which, since @Maloghurst's tree has relatively little foliage now, is not a bad idea. Good nitrogen nutrition is required for budding; more foliage is more 'horsepower' to recover roots from future work.

Personally, I would do the half bare root, if anybody is asking; but it isn't my tree.

Last edited:
I was planning on repotting next year. I already did the trunk chop earlier then I would have liked so I didn't want to
Since you chopped it, do nothing else to the tree but water until the spring.

Don't repot or slip pot or anything to the roots now.

Water
Sun
Winter protection
Nothing else
Nothing
that was my plan, sticking with the 1 insult rule per season. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom