Do you think this JBP is worth the money?

Sorry to strike nerves on the Bonsaiboy place, I would never buy anything unseen myself but I know a minimum of 7 people that have very good luck with them consistantly. :eek:

NY,

Here are three sources which you can trust. These folks are friends of the bonsai community.

Internationalbonsai.com, Bill Valavanis' arboretum. He has Mikawa JBP in his catalog this year for $125, shipping included. Trees are 3 gallon stock with 2" trunks. He only ships 'til April

Brent at evergreengardenworks.com has mature container grown pines, "Hachi Gen" cultiver. Price range $150 and up + shipping.

Martha at meehansminiatures.com has pines at reasonable prices. I recently bought a Mikawa with a 1" trunk in a 2 gallon container for $50. You'll have to pay shipping. You won't find this type of stock on her website, contact her by email and tell her what you want. She has many pines, I was there in October.

I've done business with all of these people and recommend them highly. They are trustworthy and dedicated to quality. They all know how to package so the plants arrive in good condition.

I would not pay $170 for the pictured tree if there are other options. Good luck.

Augustine

Central MD - 7A

Thanks,
I sent an inquiry to International Bonsai last week, still waiting to hear back.

I have done business with Brent before and agree that he is great. I actually have some small plants coming from him next week.

Thanks for the info on meehans.

The link you posted is the ebay seller for Brussel's near Memphis. Brussel's is probably the largest importer of bonsai in the USA. He does it legally, and is a certified quarantine operation.

He also is a supplier to many retail bonsai shops. Huge nursery. He grows his own as well as imports.

There are probably dozens of other trees similar to that one at his place.

Now, it that one worth it? I've seen worse. You mentioned the possibility of reverse taper. In my opinion, the bigger problem is NO taper! And the long straight section of trunk above the first or second branch.

Could you style it and make a "presentable" bonsai out of it? Most certainly. Would you ever be able to make a "world class" bonsai out of it? Maybe in 30 or 40 years.

That tree would teach you how to grow JBP. It will need to be totally repotted out of the Brussel soil and into "Boon Mix". Branches shortened, wired, decandled, etc. In about 4 or 5 years, you'd have something that would look decent branch-wise, but you will be unhappy with the trunk. By then, you will have discovered whether you like JBP or not, and whether you do well enough with them to spend the money to get a really nice one.

Really nice ones will be expensive.

Many of us have aquired stock from Brussels. No worries about their packaging, they've been doing it for years.

I have purchased many trees from the seller of the tree that started this thread. Very good to deal with. Packs well. Gets his stuff through Brussels or is Brussels.

+1 Adair.

It looks small for the money, and lots of space between branches, which becomes an unfortunate realization that you don't have much to work with once it's sitting in front of you.

Then it becomes a decision of either spending a few years hoping for (or grafting) more branches, or developing something rather sparse.

Back
Top Bottom