Is this JBP worth the investment?

In the Seattle area, now is still a great time to repot conifers (Douglas fir, junipers, lodgepole pines, mugo pine, p. thunbergii, p. sylvestris, p. nigra, p. strobus, true fir, and spruce). It is also a great time for quince, zelkova, rose, and certainly more.

With regard to thunbergii and tsuga, though, I've run into problems bare rooting from nursery mix, regardless of timing. Half bare rooting, however, works, be it spring or after the summer solstice. I think this more productive than just slipping into a bigger pot or grow box (loosen roots all around and under; gently wash and comb out one side of the root mass; pot the works surrounded on all sides by a good bonsai substrate; repeat next year to complete the job).

Of course, there is the option of doing noting other than fertilizing which, since @Maloghurst's tree has relatively little foliage now, is not a bad idea. Good nitrogen nutrition is required for budding; more foliage is more 'horsepower' to recover roots from future work.

Personally, I would do the half bare root, if anybody is asking; but it isn't my tree.
Thank Oso, this is what I plan on doing early next year. -mike

I was planning on repotting next year. I already did the trunk chop earlier then I would have liked so I didn't want to

that was my plan, sticking with the 1 insult rule per season. Thank you
Since you chopped it, do nothing else to the tree but water until the spring.

Don't repot or slip pot or anything to the roots now.

Water
Sun
Winter protection
Nothing else
Nothing
Hey parodox, I was thinking the same thing.
I'll be a bad guy now. I still wonder why it is still not in a bonsai pot. This was a demonstration tree, wasn't it?:)
Not a demonstration tree. I found this at local nursery for 50% off. $45.00. I only did the chop and wired up a new leader rather then repot. I thought both would be too much stress on the tree at this time of year anyway.

Back
Top Bottom