BG - JBP #2 (Need Styling advice)

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey y’all I have this japanese black pine with a nice base but the foliage on the first branch is a bit far from the trunk. Now a friend of mine told me its very possible that it could backbud with good health but idk how true that is. I really wanna get it to backbud about halfway the length of where it emerges from the trunk and where the foliage starts. The was contemplating the idea of slitting the branches. However, I never done that before and it seems risky

I also wanna fill in some space on the right side of the tree. Those branches on the right are very flexible. I just need ideas. Also the top where it tapers drastically, that segment is flexible.

IMG_2707.jpegIMG_2708.jpeg

Your friend is correct, JBP will back bud when healthy. If it back buds exactly where you want it is a different story, not sure about the slitting branches thing. Read up on Decandling JBP.

Decandling, or removing old needles, is essential for the development of Japanese black pine bonsai, and can encourage back-budding. Decandling can also help contain the tree's growth and force more compact growth.

Your friend is correct, JBP will back bud when healthy. If it back buds exactly where you want it is a different story, not sure about the slitting branches thing. Read up on Decandling JBP.

Decandling, or removing old needles, is essential for the development of Japanese black pine bonsai, and can encourage back-budding. Decandling can also help contain the tree's growth and force more compact growth.
So far these are the options I came up with

IMG_2781.jpegIMG_2765.jpeg

I would cut or pull bottom growing needles now on these 2 branches
and gently wire them down to collect sunlight in proper places to encourage back budding and fertilise
full strength weekly.

The Spring, the year you plan to cut the sacrifice, pot the tree into a more shallow bonsai pot.
It might need 3 or 4 inch deep pot to start, but keep that foliage until after it recovers from potting down.

Once you're satisfied with the trunk size, remove the sacrifice.
I would do this in 2 stages, (2 years) to see where back buds form before the 2nd cut back.
Continuing to fertilise full strength during the growing season.
BG JBP.jpeg

Guy wires may be better applied than wire right now on those 2 branches that need pulling down.
Easy enough to do using pond basket holes.

Back
Top Bottom