Show us your Oak (Quercus) Pre-Bonsai

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool. But maybe reduce down to two in those two areas where you cut back on either side of the trunk. Seems to be three potential branches clustered together....:cool:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My Shumard oak. Got a thread on it. Got it in summer

Plan is to do a double trunk. I’ll prob let it be crazy for a few yrs with only a little intervention and minor pruning

Attachments

• 4AE566B8-B66F-4B18-930B-0AB4368A49B1.jpeg
    4AE566B8-B66F-4B18-930B-0AB4368A49B1.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 34

Zaratrusta

Sapling
Reaction score
Recently collected Arizona White Oak (Quercus Arizonica)...
View attachment 423958

Waiting to see how it does this Spring - once I washed off the original soil I could see that it didn't have as much root system as I'd have liked. Time will tell.
It’s an deciduous species? If it the case you could use the bag method to sweat the tree and preserve humidity. Even if it’s used mainly on hawthorns I readed that you can apply it to other deciduous. Someone correct me if I’m being wrong.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It’s an deciduous species? If it the case you could use the bag method to sweat the tree and preserve humidity. Even if it’s used mainly on hawthorns I readed that you can apply it to other deciduous. Someone correct me if I’m being wrong.
Evergreen I believe

doctorater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@rollwithak is correct, Arizona White Oak is evergreen (though I'm not completely sure that this tree isn't an Emory Oak, which is also evergreen). I thought about trying the black bag method anyway, but decided that would most likely just assault the tree with fungal infections. I'm keeping it in the shade, I mist it every time I walk by and I also mostly defoliated it after this picture was taken as I have seen @Leo in N E Illinois and others recommend.

Since we're on the topic, I'd be grateful for any after care advice more knowledgable oak lovers on bonsainut might have to increase this tree's chances. I know that @PaulH and some others here have had great success with oak trees. Anyone?

Last edited:

doctorater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I always defoliate oaks at collection and transplanting. I believe shutting down transpiration gives the roots time to recover. Also, most evergreen oaks are loaded with adventitious buds that are stimulated by defoliation.
Thanks PaulH, and it sounds like you do complete defoliation as compared to leaving a bit of foliage at the ends of branches, is that correct? Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Quercus xalapensis, from Xalapa, Veracruz, MX. It is an evergreen oak and just dropped most of its leaves after a repot. No roots were cut. Will this tree be okay?
It has leafed out nicely and i recently took it outside.

IMG_6106.JPG

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is an Emory Oak I just collected yesterday.

View attachment 424554
Just collected and it looks like that? Amazing! The left side of my double trunk White Oak from last fall began new leaves a month ago but the right side just came to life.DSCN9438 (2).JPGDSCN9445.JPG

Top Bottom