Show your 2024 maple colors!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Silicate in Pro-Tekt
I tried that and was let down by the results. I get far better results from NPK RAW, not to mention it is way cheaper, even at the 2 oz size packets. Yes you have to measure and mix, but the difference in my trees is noticeable.

Also, Pro-Tekt only has a 2% concentration, while NPK RAW Silica has 45%.
Raw silica contains 45% silicon dioxide, the highest concentration available to the home gardener and is a “flowable” or biogenic source that sticks with the roots and provides far more benefits than silicon alone.

Their silica is derived from Diatomite, which is organic and in a flowable state which is easily absorbed by the tree. Potassium silicate is not. I think even using DE on your soil would have a better result than using potassium silicate.
Potassium silicate is one of the most common forms of silica you'll see in this industry. This is a problem because this form of silica is actually not easily absorbed. This means your plants won't be able to use it to the extent they'd like.

broken_branch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried that and was let down by the results. I get far better results from NPK RAW, not to mention it is way cheaper, even at the 2 oz size packets. Yes you have to measure and mix, but the difference in my trees is noticeable.

Their silica is derived from Diatomite, which is organic and in a flowable state which is easily absorbed by the tree. Potassium silicate is not. I think even using DE on your soil would have a better result than using potassium silicate.
By DE do you mean Diatomaceous Earth?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
yes, diatomaceous earth is a powder containing about 80%-90% silica, mostly in the form of SiO2 (silicon dioxide), which is that NPK RAW derives their silica from.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Good to know. 45% alone would be much more thrifty.
Its important to know how remarkably hazardous the powder form is if that micro dust is inhaled.
It stays suspended in air much longer than one would think. Then what settles is resuspended when disturbed.
For this reason I never used a DE filter with aquariums. Even used outdoors, manipulating the container
like rolling or placing a bag of product down indoors will disperse some dust.
Is the RAW in liquid form?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good to know. 45% alone would be much more thrifty.
Its important to know how remarkably hazardous the powder form is if that micro dust is inhaled.
It stays suspended in air much longer than one would think. Then what settles is resuspended when disturbed.
For this reason I never used a DE filter with aquariums. Even used outdoors, manipulating the container
like rolling or placing a bag of product down indoors will disperse some dust.
Is the RAW in liquid form?
All the RAW supplements are powder like. From all their powders that I have used, only the yucca is very powdery, and Full Up (Fulvic) that is almost the consistency of dried up dirt. All others are like small crystals that completely dissolve in water. I use measuring spoons and keep the bag close to the water, never seen any dust flying around even when it is windy outside. I guess common sense applies.

If you go to their Amazon store, they all have a small video on the images that show you how they dissolve and how the powder looks like. I have a bag of DE powder, I use a 3M filtered respirator when I use it.

broken_branch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Diatomaceous Earth is a dessicant though, I'd be worried about it drying out the root ball and it would kill any insects.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Diatomaceous Earth is a dessicant though, I'd be worried about it drying out the root ball and it would kill any insects.

It's a common soil component for bonsai. I use NAPA 8822. I don't know about killing insects, but it does a great job holding water, and it won't break down into sludge.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is not in this case, it absorbs water just like any other component that we use on the soil. The powder form is the only one used as a desiccant to kill insects, and its use is widespread on the agriculture community. But the most commonly use for DE is as an aggregate, to help aerate the soil and prevent compaction.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Maiden69 how often do you use the silica?
Not as often as I should. I mix everything when I fertilize. Now that I am at an apartment at least once every 6 weeks as I am using Osmocote+ for convenience. When I was growing on my house every 2 weeks (kelp, humic, fulvic, CalMag, Silica, yucca, and either their fertilizer GROW or MiracleGro). In addition of foliar spray of kelp/fulvic weekly during the spring push after hardening off.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Not as often as I should. I mix everything when I fertilize. Now that I am at an apartment at least once every 6 weeks as I am using Osmocote+ for convenience. When I was growing on my house every 2 weeks (kelp, humic, fulvic, CalMag, Silica, yucca, and either their fertilizer GROW or MiracleGro). In addition of foliar spray of kelp/fulvic weekly during the spring push after hardening off.
Holy moly! That is one heck if a regiment! I bet your trees grow something crazy!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Holy moly! That is one heck if a regiment! I bet your trees grow something crazy!
It is a similar regimen as @cmeg1 uses, but I don't have the benefit of CO2 cultivation, his results are amazing. I do get great growth when I maintain it.

I need to get this house completed so I can start buying more JM cultivars... the pics here are amazing.

Trident maple
December 2020

1713730368508.png

Jan 2024
1713730413191.png

1713730434704.png

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It is a similar regimen as @cmeg1 uses, but I don't have the benefit of CO2 cultivation, his results are amazing. I do get great growth when I maintain it.

I need to get this house completed so I can start buying more JM cultivars... the pics here are amazing.

Trident maple
December 2020

View attachment 541621

Jan 2024
View attachment 541628

View attachment 541630
Wowza! Along with the TX growing season! Everything really is bigger in Texas!

Top Bottom