Show your 2024 maple colors!

jkitch

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a little kotohime I've been working on. I'm thinking about planting it in a flower bed for a year or two to fatten it up a little more. Any thought?

Attachments

• IMG_8827.JPG
    IMG_8827.JPG
    342.7 KB · Views: 33

jkitch

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not as often as I should. I mix everything when I fertilize. Now that I am at an apartment at least once every 6 weeks as I am using Osmocote+ for convenience. When I was growing on my house every 2 weeks (kelp, humic, fulvic, CalMag, Silica, yucca, and either their fertilizer GROW or MiracleGro). In addition of foliar spray of kelp/fulvic weekly during the spring push after hardening off.
Do you only use this for maples, or other trees as well?

jkitch

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everything. Didn't post other trees because it is a maple thread... there are more pics on my threads.

BC
MAR 22
View attachment 541744

SEP 22
View attachment 541745

JBP
SEP 21
View attachment 541746

SEP 22
View attachment 541747

Ficus
MAY 21
View attachment 541748

JUN 23
View attachment 541749

Seiju Elm
DEC 20
View attachment 541750

DEC 22
View attachment 541751
Thanks! I'm pretty new to bonsai, and I haven't gotten into this type of regiment yet. I'll definitely be looking into now.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here's a little kotohime I've been working on. I'm thinking about planting it in a flower bed for a year or two to fatten it up a little more. Any thought?
Kotohime is painstakingly slow to grow. So that's a great question. Firstly it is already leafed out so it would add a little undue stress. And you already have it wired so not unless you take the wire off. My suggestion is grow it in the pot this year while doing the wire training and then sort the roots and ground plant next year.

jkitch

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kotohime is painstakingly slow to grow. So that's a great question. Firstly it is already leafed out so it would add a little undue stress. And you already have it wired so not unless you take the wire off. My suggestion is grow it in the pot this year while doing the wire training and then sort the roots and ground plant next year.
Thanks! That sounds good.

99 Mile Creek

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
"Bloodgood" has some interesting sub-graft leaves that will probably have to go at some point. Maybe I'll keep them as sacrifices to thicken trunk.
IMG_4958.JPEG

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
"Bloodgood" has some interesting sub-graft leaves that will probably have to go at some point. Maybe I'll keep them as sacrifices to thicken trunk.
View attachment 542874
Some of my most colorful mountain maples came from root stock shoots. It may be worth air layering off some of those base shoots once they get big enough or air layer off the bloodgood. This one was a base shoot on a crimson queen, the second one was the base of a bloodgood that the graft broke off of.
IMG_1713.jpegIMG_1712.jpeg

99 Mile Creek

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Some of my most colorful mountain maples came from root stock shoots. It may be worth air layering off some of those base shoots once they get big enough or air layer off the bloodgood. This one was a base shoot on a crimson queen, the second one was the base of a bloodgood that the graft broke off of.
They really have a nice color this time of year. I'll look into air layering the bloodgood off. Nice collection you have there.

I'm a little concerned about these black spots showing up where I initially made the cut on the nursery stock. Is this some sort of fungus? I need to invest into some sort of cut paste.

Attachments

• IMG_4989.jpg
    IMG_4989.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom