Show us your Oak (Quercus) Pre-Bonsai

Well, to early to say if it's prebonsai...
We have an oak tree in the neighborhood, white oak I think, but it has very deep and thin lobed leaves which I like a lot. I could only find one acorn this past fall and put it in the fridge. It started to grow a root in about 2 weeks. I potted it up mid December and just noticed today it sprouted.
20240119_090134.jpg
And a small leaf from this tree I have underclass in a picture frame.
20240119_090106.jpg

Picked up a new oak a few days ago. As I was paying for it I kept calling it a Laurel Oak and the guy helping never corrected me or anything. I got home and it definitely doesn't look like my live oaks but does seem just a bit different from my other Laurel. I checked my receipt and he wrote "sale oak" lol. I'm including a picture of some new foliage and a close up of the trunk if anyone is able to confirm Laurel Oak.
View attachment 524480View attachment 524479View attachment 524481
I've stopped trying to pin down the exact species of oaks I find. With the cross-pollination and some trees having 4 different leaves on the same plant, identification is a thankless job.

First and only oak so far. I did acquire 3 suber seedlings, but this is the only pre-bonsai size one. It will go through it's first repotting this spring, going to try to be as thorough as possible without compromising the tree. I think it will probably take 2-3 repots to get the roots sorted out. I bought this one from @Housguy September 2023.

1705677239783.png

I agree that the probable identity of your tree imaged is Quercus laurifolia.

I have a tendency to focus on details. Not always important details. One of my "bug-a-boos" is plant names and taxonomy. Getting names "right" is a thing I focus in on, but in bonsai is not all that important. In judging orchids, it is critical that species are identified correctly and hybrids have accurate parentages listed. I have in the past exhibited orchids, and made "the deep dive" into orchid taxonomy for a while. Then I got a life. (LOL) In bonsai the image created is most important and accuracy of botanical names is a secondary or minor issue. So with this thought in mind I offer the following with the suggestion that where possible, include the botanical name of the species you are referring to when you use common names. Citing the botanical name only needs to be done once in a discussion, if there is no ambiguity, I know I sound pompous if I repeatedly use botanical names when everyone else in the thread is using common names.

Laurel Oak - 2 different species share Laurel Oak as a common name, Quercus laurifolia and Quercus hemisphaerica also known as Darlington oak

Quercus laurifolia "Laural oak" is in the same botanical section (Lobata) as red oak, Quercus rubra. Common names for Laurel Oak include swamp laurel oak, diamond leaf oak, water oak, and obtusa oak, Laurel oak, swamp laurel oak, and diamond leaf oak are probably the most used common names. This oak tends to grow on flood plains, areas that experience seasonal flooding or occasional flooding. If found in upland sites they tend to be in areas with poor drainage. They flower late winter or early spring, before or as new leaves begin to emerge. Quercus laurifolia is tardily deciduous, with foliage dropping over the course of the winter. Foliage is replaced every year. Leaves are rhombic in shape and taper to the leaf petiole, stem that attaches to the branch. Leaves are wider than Q. hemisphaerica, and are occasionally 3 lobed. It is hardy as far north as Cincinnati, Ohio, as there are specimens there that have survived more than 50 years. The article in Wikipedia did not note whether the Cincinnati trees were planted as ornamentals or represent northern outliers of their natural distribution. My guess is they were planted as ornamentals.

Quercus hemisphaerica - Darlington oak, also called Laurel oak, sand laurel oak, and laurel leaf oak - this species is also in the same botanical section (Lobata) as red oak, Quercus rubra. Quercus hemisphaerica tends to grow in more upland sites in sand. Much drier sites than Q. laurifolia, Q. hemisphaerica tends to flower about two weeks later than Q. laurifolia. Leaves are narrow ovate, more narrow than Q. laurifolia. Leaves are occasionally coarsely toothed, though most leaves have smooth margins. They are not usually lobed. Leaves tend to be evergreen.

Water Oak - Quercus nigra - has many common names including spotted oak, duck oak, punk oak, orange oak and possum oak. Oddly, the botanical name Q. nigra, "nigra" means black, yet black oak is not listed as a common name for Quercus nigra. The common name "black oak" most often refers to Quercus velutina. Leaves are spatula shaped with a broad distal end tapering, wedge shaped to the leaf petiole. It is tardily deciduous. Preferred habitat is similar to that for weeping willows, streambanks and edges of ponds, sometimes swampy waterlogged soils, or areas prone to flooding. It will tolerate compacted soils, and has been found growing in red clay soils. It is not normally planted as an ornamental. Its wood resembles red oak, Q. rubra, and is often sold as red oak lumber. Water oak, Q. nigra is in the Lobata section of genus Quercus meaning it is in the red oak section.

Chapman Oak - Quercus chapmanii in same botanical section as Quercus alba, the white oaks. Its natural range is more restricted than the above species, it occurs mainly in Florida with some outliers in adjacent states. Wikipedia does not say much about this species and photos of leaves are not close up enough to help with identification.

So this sums up most of what Wikipedia has to offer about Laurel and Water Oaks.

I find Wikipedia is very useful tool for botanical questions, if you already know "a little" about the plant in question. It is terrible as a "primary identification guide" because information is not of equal depth between species.

Last edited:
It is true that oaks hybridize "in the wild" fairly frequently. But the hybrids are the exception, though more common than in some other groups of plants. Leaf shape and size differ wildly on the same tree, depending on whether shade grown or sun grown, so yes, a single tree can have what seem to be 3 or 4 or more differently shaped, differently lobed leaves all in the same year on the same tree. It is the traits of the flowers, leaf scars, and acorns that the taxonomist use to separate the different species. Bud scales of dormant twigs are another taxonomic identifier. Leaf shape is less important because it is not conservative, too much variation. Collecting flowers and acorns from a tree means repeat visits to the same tree at different times of year in order to get enough taxonomic data to definitively identify the tree. Most of us don't have that kind of time.

Growing conditions are often a good clue. Make note of whether the ground is swampy or dry, clay or sand and other habitat notes, this goes a long way to help identify a tree.

Pretty much all oaks prefer full sun.
Quercus laurifolia - will tolerate "some shade", though in the garden definitely treat it as a "full sun" plant.
Quercus hemisphaerica - is less shade tolerant than Q. laurifolia.
Quercus nigra - is noted for being shade intolerant, it really needs full sun from dawn to dusk.

Degree of shade intolerance can help identify which oak you are collecting. Do make note of how much shade a location gets when trying to identify an oak species.

Its probably 4 years old (English Oak). I got it two years ago with a pencil thin trunk. I am going to up pot it next year and shorten the trunk a little with the hopes of getting 4-5 buds to run that I can wire into branches and can let all of them run.

Attachments

• PXL_20240126_220237364.jpg
    PXL_20240126_220237364.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 49
This has been an excellent post to read through. All 21 pages lol. I have a pretty good start on a nursery stock southern live oak I found last yr. It had 2 bottom branches that were already nicely set up and ramified fairly well. I'll post some photos of it tomorrow. Thanks to all those who shared a tree and work timeline/progress details

First time I've found a valley oak at a nursery that tempted me. Cool, mature bark, low limbs, chunky trunk. Temptation turned to purchase pretty quickly. I did some work on the roots and repotted in mostly pumice. The roots had a couple of large, twisted and fused lumps that I cut out. Tap root left in the pot for years? Lots of other roots left alone. I know collecting larger valley oaks usually kills them. I don't know how much root work a nursery can valley oak will tolerate. Guess we'll see.

valley oak 25Feb24 1.jpg

valley oak 25Feb24 2.jpg

Quercus fusiformis I’m hoping to get into a bonsai container in the next few years. Why kind of container could you see it in? I may go oversized for a while to develop the branching a bit more.
View attachment 567253
Whatever container you choose it’s going to have to be big and deep to support that monster.

Here's a black oak i collected last fall, allowed it to grow freely all year to recover, been quite vigorous. We shall see if those leaves will ever reduce.
20240814_200912.jpg

Southern live oak. Nursery stock I chopped last summer down to the 2 new branches( first branch and new trunk leader). I repotted it early this spring in February, bare root. Repotted in Akadama, hyuga and black lava 1-1-1. Been fertilizing it like crazy. Organic fertilizer. I have been slowly reducing the foliage size. Leaves reduce very small! Do not do it all at once. I partially defoliated part of the tree. Then when it recovered and leafed out I did the same thing on the other side of the tree. After it recovered I went back and removed the remaining spring flush leaves. The tree is an absolute beast and has not slowed down one bit. I have done quite a bit of work on it this season which I don’t usually work repotted trees this hard, if at all. But my judgement by its vigor was spot on, it has responded well. Should be a nice little bonsai one day. This winter I’ll cut back the branches to being in structure tighter and more compact to fit scale

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Red oak project. Nursery stock. Had a short trunk with great taper on it but the wife’s new dog chewed it down. It was a really nice tree..
but it may be the best thing that coulda happened, time will tell. Has a great base and a nice new leader started.. great nebari and base structure. It’s healing over well too. Leaves do not reduce as small as the live oaks and white oaks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 29
Collected Yamadori willow leaf oak. Chop has not healed well at all. Collected this tree in 2017. It has been really slow to put off branches, especially where I need them. It has come a long a lot better this yr. Hopefully it’s finally submitting to bonsai life and going to be a nice tree in time. We will see.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 28
I’ve got this one in the yard growing behind the shed. Not sure which type of oak it is. Chopped it last yr. Not healing over very well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg