Show us your Oak (Quercus) Pre-Bonsai

I really love oaks and I hope to create a few decent bonsai in the coming years. I have several seedlings from acorns collected locally, but the few that I have that are at the pre-bonsai stage have been purchased in the past year from various sources. The one exception to this is my live oak that I grew from seed sprouted in 2006. This tree, which has a dedicated thread, is residing in Fl under my dad's care.

English Oak:

View attachment 159522

Two other English oaks (Quercus robur):

View attachment 159524

Scarlet oak (Quercus coccinea) with massive leaves. It remains to be seen if these can be reduced for a somewhat convincing large bonsai:

View attachment 159525

Closeup of scarlet oak trunk:
View attachment 159526
White oak (Quercus alba), purchased last month:

View attachment 159527

Closeup of trunk, the base looks better in person:

View attachment 159528

Lets see more oaks!
Never quite sure what to do with oaks. So they end up in my neglected department,
The first one is the Gary oak. Its quite ancient. I'm hoping to just keep it alive. The other one (white/english oak) is kind of weird. Dos'nt lose it leaves in fall and even next spring it a chore to get them off

Attachments

• IMG_4280.JPG
    IMG_4280.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4284.JPG
    IMG_4284.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 23
I have this coast live oak growing in my front yard. I planned on digging it up soon, but at this point, it seems way too big. The trunk is quite a bit fatter than a soda can.

Also, it may be illegal for me to dig it up, so I'd have to hope no one notices. If I were to collect this, it would obviously be chopped.

Would you guys dig this up or let it stay?

20241016_171227.jpg

You could certainly count on getting lots of new growth after the chop, but you'd still be starting with a smooth, grey cylinder. It will be a long time turning new growth into substantial primary branching. I would pass on that one.

You could certainly count on getting lots of new growth after the chop, but you'd still be starting with a smooth, grey cylinder. It will be a long time turning new growth into substantial primary branching. I would pass on that one.
Thank you Brian. I think I will pass on that and not risk getting a fine. A huge oak it shall be!

Back
Top Bottom