Mirai tree sale

OK. Thanks. And when is sale day? And how do people find out about this? Cause it's the same day every year or email or facebook?
email, Facebook. Sales happen sporadically, not regular at all.

Last year the only trees under $1000 were seriously junipers you could pick up at any nursery. Very well styled of course and in very nice pots. Not something I would pay for. The rug juniper he did in a demo from nursery material sold for like $1500. It looked incredible for sure but the material was probably $100. You are paying for a tree styled by Ryan from material collected by someone like Randy Knight in a Ron Lang or Tom Benda pot.. Oddly enough, many of the upper end trees seemed to be decent value to me when you consider the pots probably push $500 alone.
Yep. That's what you're paying for, name, the extras, etc. Of course the extras are pretty cool--Randy Knight collects KILLER trees, Ryan's design will remain imprinted on the tree you buy for literally decades, and Ron Lang ain't making anymore pots--so if you get one of those along with a tree, its value will likely double...

Pretty sure the sale is the 19th. Seem to recall it reading it recently.

I just went back to my Mirai email and found this about shipping. Clears up some things:

"If you need to ship trees or bonsai supplies and haven't made arrangements yet, our Covered Wagon shipping service is filling up fast. Our professionally driven tree transport, the Covered Wagon, leaves Mirai (located 25 miles east of Portland) on Sunday, September 5th for its annual round trip journey from Portland, Oregon to the National Show in Rochester, New York arriving on Thursday, September 9th.

The Covered Wagon makes stops along a pre-determined route for clients to meet, pick up trees, bonsai supplies, or have them delivered to the national show. There will be a separate Covered Wagon for California buyers.

The final routes for the Covered Wagon will be released to all buyers once the tree sale concludes."

the beech forest was bought for peanuts too, how much is it worth now....how much will the field grown hornbeam raft be worth in a few years or the tilias he bought on the nursery hunt. all those are attainable trees. i get that the collected bits by Randy knight are different level, but Ryan definitely works on and develops trees thats are very attainable. you just have to get out there and look for them.
if youre someone who is subscribed to mirai and sees what Ryan does, you should definitely be applying those methods and techniques to your trees.

Last edited:
I can’t do it....I’d love to have one of his trees but the ones that are in my budget will go immediately. I need a little more time to look at something before I pull the trigger on something.

On last Tuesdays Mirai Live, Ryan mentioned that he realizes he cant maintain the amount of trees he has, and that this years sale will be bigger than usual so he can downsize a bit. Hopefully they dont screw up and post the trees 5 hours early again this year. I mentioned that on their instagram post and it was promptly deleted, lol.

I can’t do it....I’d love to have one of his trees but the ones that are in my budget will go immediately. I need a little more time to look at something before I pull the trigger on something.
with a bit more ambition, drive and confidence you probably could. people dont get it. in his streams, he is encouraging people to go out and do the same thing. rather than being in awe, BE INSPIRED!

with a bit more ambition, drive and confidence you probably could. people dont get it. in his streams, he is encouraging people to go out and do the same thing. rather than being in awe, BE INSPIRED!
My point was that I’m not going to buy a tree after looking at it for 30 seconds on a website, especially not for hundreds if not $1000+. I’m inspired, I watch his streams, but I’m not going to buy something blindly just because it came from Ryan Neil.

My point was that I’m not going to buy a tree after looking at it for 30 seconds on a website, especially not for hundreds if not $1000+. I’m inspired, I watch his streams, but I’m not going to buy something blindly just because it came from Ryan Neil.

to my knowledge quite a few of them are trees from that featured at one point or another in the streams, so for example if i wanted the crypto really bad, id already of knew all about it. but yeh i wouldnt buy something under pressure if id never seen it before either.
think you sorta missed my point anyway.

if youre 'inspired' enough to go and get decent starting material you can develop trees that are worth hundreds if not $1000s as Ryan is doing. Ryan shows you how on his streams right...

i reckon this hornbeam probably cost what less than $300

but will be worth 5 times that in just 3 years.
Ryan isnt the only one who can do this.

Last edited:
I completely understand the high cost of a Mirai tree, or any from reputed bonsai artist, regardless of where it was sourced from. You're paying for his six years of apprenticeship, plus his years of experience since then. Not to mention his vision and natural talent. It's like buying a photograph that was taken by Ansel Adams or Robert Capa. Anyone can buy a high end camera nowadays and snap a photo of something, but a real professional just captures it better.

As for the expensive pots, I can definitely respect the hard work that goes into creating each unique piece of pottery. That said, I'm not really into that aspect of bonsai. Instead of a $500 tree in a $500 pot, I'd rather buy a $900 tree in a $100 pot. Just my MO though.
I agree with what you're saying, to a point. Would you buy a $1,000 tree from me, a nobody, without seeing anything other than some images on a screen? Of course not. However, certain bonsai artists and retailers have built up something very important with the public. That something is reputation. Good people have a positive reputation, and good businesses have a positive reputation as well. Having a good reputation then means that folks trust you. People pay big bucks for a Mirai tree based off just a few computer images because they trust Ryan and his company. He has built that trust over many years, and it is why he gets the money he does for his trees and why they sell out so quickly.

Obviously, there are exceptions though, of course. Take people who buy a car from Carvana without seeing it in person. The whole car buying experience is totally online with them, and you get nothing but some facts about the vehicle and a bunch of photos. You finance it online, then their delivery truck takes what you bought and drops it off at your house. Personally, I could never a buy vehicle like that in the same way you could not buy an expensive tree like that, sight-unseen. On the flip side, maybe you'd be OK with getting a car through Carvana just like I'm OK with spending lots of money on a tree I don't get to see in-person first. It doesn't mean I don't trust Carvana. It's just not my thing. :)

On last Tuesdays Mirai Live, Ryan mentioned that he realizes he cant maintain the amount of trees he has, and that this years sale will be bigger than usual so he can downsize a bit. Hopefully they dont screw up and post the trees 5 hours early again this year. I mentioned that on their instagram post and it was promptly deleted, lol.

Yeah, that was a big "oops" that pissed off a lot of people. Hopefully they've cleaned it up but for people considering trying to buy a tree, it doesn't hurt to start checking the website an hour two early.

people buy expensive trees all the time online based off a few images.
i think what some were saying is the time limit put them off, they want more time to view the images.
but by then the serious buyers have snapped everything up.

i said Ryan isnt the only one who can do this, i should of said yeh he can ramp up the prices to an extent because of his name i agree. but the wiring and styling of some of these trees can be done by serious enthusiasts, to an extent. as i said, he shows you how.

Last edited:
I purchased the pine below from Mirai in their sale last year. It was originally collected by Randy Knight and styled at Mirai. The shipping price was $400 but it's a large tree (44" tall and quite heavy). Luckily, I live fairly close to Mirai and was able to rent a van and drive down to pick it up. It was expensive as others have noted and while it required financial trade-offs for me, I'm very thankful that I was able to muster the resources to be able to purchase the tree. I had no regrets when I saw it in person.

My only advice to a purchaser of one of these trees if it's one of a few 'finished' trees owned is to be ready for the stress of ownership. For me anyway, it's not the potential financial loss. It's that killing one of these trees would feel terrible knowing that someone else may have enabled it to flourish. I feel a lot of self-directed pressure to act as caretaker and pass the tree on to someone else when I'm not longer able to take care of it. That pressure is why I'm not super hot to get another right now.

Treesale-235

Yeah, that was a big "oops" that pissed off a lot of people. Hopefully they've cleaned it up but for people considering trying to buy a tree, it doesn't hurt to start checking the website an hour two early.
Does it start at midnight Oregon time tonight?

I purchased the pine below from Mirai in their sale last year. It was originally collected by Randy Knight and styled at Mirai. The shipping price was $400 but it's a large tree (44" tall and quite heavy). Luckily, I live fairly close to Mirai and was able to rent a van and drive down to pick it up. It was expensive as others have noted and while it required financial trade-offs for me, I'm very thankful that I was able to muster the resources to be able to purchase the tree. I had no regrets when I saw it in person.

My only advice to a purchaser of one of these trees if it's one of a few 'finished' trees owned is to be ready for the stress of ownership. For me anyway, it's not the potential financial loss. It's that killing one of these trees would feel terrible knowing that someone else may have enabled it to flourish. I feel a lot of self-directed pressure to act as caretaker and pass the tree on to someone else when I'm not longer able to take care of it. That pressure is why I'm not super hot to get another right now.

Treesale-235
Very very nice tree. Ponderosa?

Mirai screwed up and did a terrible job managing the release of the trees available for sale last year....who knows whether they fixed the problem or not so it may be worth checking in early. Best trees were gone when the official time started.

Well, seems like they got their act together this year, I haven’t seen anything pop up early.

Back
Top Bottom