2015 Bonsai Nut Spring Box Store Challenge Kickoff

Zerojoke

Seedling
Reaction score
Heck I'm in! Question: If I create a rock planting, are the rocks part of the cost?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Heck I'm in! Question: If I create a rock planting, are the rocks part of the cost?

The rules state that the tree must be displayed in the pot it was purchased in.
You are 100% correct mj. However, you can topdress with rocks, moss, bonsai soil, etc. If we follow the rules from the Fall Challenge (and we should), anything you add must fit within the circumference of the pot.

Top dressing components need not be added to the total cost of the entry.

Zerojoke

Seedling
Reaction score
Oops, thanks for the catch Barb! Appreciate the clarification.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not to take away from this challenge but if this one goes well and we have another one maybe it will be "anything goes"

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could you give an example list of species? I would have assumed that podocarpus and taxus were in the category. But I don't have any experience with either of them.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Could you give an example list of species? I would have assumed that podocarpus and taxus were in the category. But I don't have any experience with either of them.
A few examples are: Ilex, Boxwood, Rhododendron, Gardenia, Olive, Ficus, Loropetalum, Ligustrum, and some Oaks, Hawthorns and Laurels. These are just a few but there are many many more. Podocarpus and Taxus are evergreen conifers. I hope this helps.

Knock Out Rose, Jasmine (some), Pyracantha, Pieris and Nandina are a few more.

Oh, and who can forget Rosemary and Sage.

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
***Please read the rule carefully and completely***

Rules & Guidelines for the 2015 Spring Box Store Challenge

First and foremost, as in the Fall Challenge, please remember this is a challenge not a battle! If there are any negative exchanges related to this challenge you will be disqualified. These challenges are meant to be fun and enjoyable. However, we will also gain knowledge and experience if we apply ourselves properly.

RULES:

This challenge is limited to non-coniferous evergreens. Pot size cannot exceed 5 gallons for all levels. Purchase must be made at a non-bonsai related Box Store or Nursery. Mail order purchases are acceptable as long as the purchase is made from a non-bonsai Nursery. Proof of purchase will be required by way of a dated receipt and the cost cannot exceed $50.00 U.S. (unless you live in a “high cost” area and disclose such by way of request on this thread prior to making the purchase). Purchase must be made between February 28, 2015 and May 1, 2015. Once the purchase is made you will have 48 hours to post your entry (see below) and 14 days to submit your completed work (see below).

NOTE: Any “Fair Weather” folks wishing to help out those in areas that won’t have any nurseries opened by May 1st may do so by mailing material.

Entry photos will be posted on Bonsai Nut in the proper thread.

Your completed work will be emailed to an address that will be disclosed later.

There are three categories:
  1. Beginner – less than two years experience
  2. Intermediate – two to five years experience
  3. Advanced – more than five years’ experience

GUIDELINES:
  • Participants will post three entry photos to qualify. One photo of tree in the pot as you purchased it, one photo of the nursery where the purchase was made and one photo of the dated receipt. Entry photos must be posted within 48 hours of purchase or the tree will be disqualified. The photo of the tree should be as purchased (please include the variety of tree). Once you have submitted your entry photos and the material has been acknowledged as a non-coniferous evergreen you can begin working on your project.

• Tree must be displayed in the pot it was purchased in. You can cut around the rim or change the planting angle or both but the finished photos must clearly show the tree in its original pot. You can also change the display angle anyway you like by placing it another pot, using wedges or any other way you wish.

• Top dressing the soil is optional (bonsai soil, moss, rocks, etc.).

• Final photos must be submitted by email no later than 14 calendar days after the purchase and will include 1 photo of the front of your tree (how you want the viewer to see it) and one photo taken directly above. That’s two photos: please do not include any additional photos. As a reminder, photos must clearly show the tree in the original pot. Please include the variety of the material and style you were going for in your email.

• Beginners may post up to three questions about their tree, Intermediates may only post one. Advanced level contestants cannot post any questions. A Questions Thread will be created for this purpose.

• IMPORTANT! Please do not post photos of your tree prior to the announcement of the winners or your tree will be disqualified. Winners will be announced mid May.

JUDGING:

And now for the best part. Mr. Walter Pall has generously agreed to judge the challenge! He will not only be choosing the winning tree but also provide a detailed critique of every single entry. Yes, every tree will be critiqued by Mr. Pall.

These Rules and Guidelines are subject to change before the challenge begins. Good, bad or indifferent; comments are appreciated. Now, let’s have some fun!
Just to be totally clear. We are Required to have proof of PURCHASE, right? So, no collected material? Sorry if already posted... I tried to review the thread but it is getting long!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just to be totally clear. We are Required to have proof of PURCHASE, right? So, no collected material? Sorry if already posted... I tried to review the thread but it is getting long!

This challenge is limited to non-coniferous evergreens. Pot size cannot exceed 5 gallons for all levels. Purchase must be made at a non-bonsai related Box Store or Nursery.

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not to take away from this challenge but if this one goes well and we have another one maybe it will be "anything goes"
Maybe collected material can be included in the Anything Goes Challenge if we have one. :D

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The trouble with us old guys is we don't take advantage of social media. Share this on Facebook. Pin it. Tweet it? Make it a real competition.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Maybe collected material can be included in the Anything Goes Challenge if we have one. :D
Don't go there. I was soundly beaten about the head and shoulders for suggesting that found material could be purchased at a box store. Follow the light. Go into the Lowe's,,...head to the Lowe's?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Soooo, when does the challange start and end? My box stores are open and I am scouting today. But I don't want to be early and have no other entries after they see my kickassedness. Yes, kickassedness. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Soooo, when does the challange start and end? My box stores are open and I am scouting today. But I don't want to be early and have no other entries after they see my kickassedness. Yes, kickassedness. :)

. Purchase must be made between February 28, 2015 and May 1, 2015. Once the purchase is made you will have 48 hours to post your entry (see below) and 14 days to submit your completed work (see below).

• Participants will post three entry photos to qualify. One photo of tree in the pot as you purchased it, one photo of the nursery where the purchase was made and one photo of the dated receipt. Entry photos must be posted within 48 hours of purchase or the tree will be disqualified. The photo of the tree should be as purchased (please include the variety of tree). Once you have submitted your entry photos and the material has been acknowledged as a non-coniferous evergreen you can begin working on your project.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Limited to one entry per person?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, I'm kinda disappointed. Someone said the nurseries in their area only carry plants and trees in 1 and 5 gallon pots. So we adjusted the rules to allow for the pot size to go up to 5 gallon, no biggie. I just got back from my local nursery and was told they rarely see 5 gallon pots. Everything I looked at was in either 1, 3 or 7 gallon pots. All the nice stuff was in the 7 gallon pots. I guess I'll be searching some more... Anyway, the real reason for this post is 7 gallon pots look like about the size of a 5 gallon bucket. I hope whoever suggested the 5 gallon pots wasn't thinking of the 7 gallon ones? Maybe it's just a regional thing?

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
Ohh Im so excited. I was just thinking about going and picking up another lowes project. . .

If theres anything I can do to help vin please let me know. Having Mr. P judge is awesome. He helped me on last competitions tree when I couldn't find the best front for my windswept, a brilliant tree artist, and one hellof a nice guy.

Even though this is literally my one year mark in bonsai,(My first tree purchased in april last year)I will be entering as intermediate since I placed first in the last box store challenge beginners category.

Last edited:

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Vin for doing this! Thank you Mr. Pall for your time and insight!

Cheers,

Mike​

Top Bottom