Toronto Bonsai Society Fall Show 2015

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Ironbeaver for sharing. Nice show. A little uneven as far as quality but that's ok. I think less experienced folks should be given a chance to show their work to gain insight and experience.

I do like the attached tree very much. If I am not mistaken it belongs to Aaron (amkhlaid) who also styled it. Kudos to you my friend! Love the pot selection by Erik Krizovensky. I am thinking of getting one myself.
http://lakeshorebonsai.com/?p=2337

It's come along well since the blog post eh?

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What, please, are the Junipers?
Tree labels seemed a bit limited. One was listed as a chinensis, I think the others were a mix of parsonii and blauwii (blauwii was very popular about 11-12 years ago if I recall correctly)
Any of those pines collected eastern species
I think there was at least one pinus sylvestris.
I think most if not all of the Larches (Tamarack) are collected.

Maybe there needs to be a root over curling rock in the next show.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Ironbeaver for sharing. Nice show. A little uneven as far as quality but that's ok. I think less experienced folks should be given a chance to show their work to gain insight and experience.

I do like the attached tree very much. If I am not mistaken it belongs to Aaron (amkhlaid) who also styled it. Kudos to you my friend! Love the pot selection by Erik Krizovensky. I am thinking of getting one myself.

That's one of the trees that caught my eye as well. Thanks for posting, interesting show.

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Definitely enjoyed all of the Thujas! I need to get out and avail myself of some of those in my area or from northern Michigan or even the U.P. (Upper Peninsula for those non Michiganders).

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Overall a nice little show. I didn't see anything in the sales area that really inspired a purchase, most of the tropicals were sticks in pots. It was also a good test of how long it takes to get there and back. I don't think I'll be joining the club as I don't think I can handle a one and a half to two hour trip Monday nights.

I was at the show as well. I don't know what time you arrived at, but there were some really nice specimens in the sales area, however within the first 30min of opening the majority of the really nice trees were sold. This is always the case, and so if you want the really good stuff, you need to be there early.

As far as tropicals.. Well if you want thick tropicals go to Florida. It's cold in Ontario, and tropicals just ain't a specialty here. With that said there were a number of 2"+ trunks in pots, mostly ficus' ... of the tropical flavor.

For disclosure purposes, I am a member of the club. And as a member, who didn't have any trees showing, and as a bonsai enthusiast and fan of photography, I think it would be prudent next time around, out of respect to the trees and club (not exclusivly to TBS but any club world wide) if you post photos of shows atleast rotate them, and take some care to show people's work in the best light, to the best of your ability. I know some trees were less flattering or developed than others, but it doesn't mean they should just be thrown up for the sake of regurgitating. Sometimes less is more.

Also, some trees you posted were in the "in training" area and a couple were being wired there as a demonstration. That should be noted along with the posted images.

With that said, I'm not a spokes person for the club, these are just my opinions and mine alone.

Reactions: Geo

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I, Ron Beaver,
Solemnly swear to take a picture of every tree in the show!

Huge thanks! It's good to get a look into Canada!

I love the thuja with the rock pot that matches the deadwood.

But this one....73435-73001189b5d8fb3093b38e2bf9ef46df.jpg

is my favorite. I reckon in a few years this is gonna be a stunner.

Thanks F1pt4. I'd love to see more photos of this one if you got any!

Man, well done Canada! I can't wait to see a few of these in a few years, you guys are really working some good stuff!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is this?
index.jpeg

Thanks.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Potentilla

Thanks Mark!

This is one helluvan an amazing tree too!

Actually, with fresh eyes this morning, a lot of these are pretty wicked.

Congrats again eh!
Amazing what you guys do in a 2 day growing season!

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for posting, f1pt4 r2d2....r2d2..hehehe..

Folks have some really nicely done trees.
If anyone asks you,"What's Canadien bonsai?" just show 'em these images...

Now, about those lousy Maple Loafs...hehehe..

Top Bottom