Show your 2024 maple colors!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's beautiful! But I've never seen Shihigashira with spring color like that. How certain are you that it's Shihigashira?

Dan W. totally called it! I saw the dense & compact growth and assumed it was the newer Shishigashira that I bought from Conifer Kingdom last year. When I got home, I decided to give it a second look (before I shot off a response). Sure enough, it’s not a Shishigashira. It’s one of the “dwarf cultivar” seedlings that William Valavanis was selling back in 2021 that set off this thread . . .
Thread 'Bill Valvanis "Dwarf Japanese maple" - any idea what cultivar?'
Good catch Dan! You definitely know your Shishi-foliage.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dan W. totally called it! I saw the dense & compact growth and assumed it was the newer Shishigashira that I bought from Conifer Kingdom last year. When I got home, I decided to give it a second look (before I shot off a response). Sure enough, it’s not a Shishigashira. It’s one of the “dwarf cultivar” seedlings that William Valavanis was selling back in 2021 that set off this thread . . .
Thread 'Bill Valvanis "Dwarf Japanese maple" - any idea what cultivar?'
Good catch Dan! You definitely know your Shishi-foliage.
I wanted to reply to that thread and it’s closed… Just for everyone’s reference, this is what a official koto hime purchased from Bill Valavanis himself looks like 😎
IMG_1657.jpeg
IMG_1611.jpeg

Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira'

We're pretty slow to warm up on Cape Cod so, things are only just now beginning to move.
View attachment 538878
Could this be “Kurenai jishi”. The red version of a shishigashira

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wanted to reply to that thread and it’s closed… Just for everyone’s reference, this is what a official koto hime purchased from Bill Valavanis himself looks like 😎
View attachment 538944
View attachment 538945

Could this be “Kurenai jishi”. The red version of a shishigashira
I’m going with the official response I received from both Diane AND from Bill when I called them directly to ask which cultivar they had just sold me. Both times the response was, “It’s an unnamed cultivar”.
Personally, I took their response(s) to mean that the seedlings were grown from the seeds of a dwarf variety of Acer palmatum but, since they were grown from seed, they could not be called the actual parental cultivar . . . no matter what it was.

Last edited:
Reaction score
hold my beer.... :D

Shishigashira 1

View attachment 533449
View attachment 533453

Shishigashira 2 and ¿kotohime?
View attachment 533459
View attachment 533456

View attachment 533452

Arakawa
View attachment 533450View attachment 533451

Buergerianum
View attachment 533454View attachment 533455

And at last, but not least...shindeshojo
View attachment 533458View attachment 533457

Bonus track; a video

Cheers and enjoy the spring!!
I'm stuck somewhere between inspiration and deflation! Great job!

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So much nice stuff here - so I'll throw in the most pathetic coral bark on earth. This one appears to be in its last legs and I will try to layer off the one living branch. I was going to post this in “show us you maple literatis “ but figured that was a little too tongue in cheek. Hey, at least this has some nice colors.

Attachments

• IMG_7644.png
    IMG_7644.png
    343.7 KB · Views: 38

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So much nice stuff here - so I'll throw in the most pathetic coral bark on earth. This one appears to be in its last legs and I will try to layer off the one living branch. I was going to post this in “show us you maple literatis “ but figured that was a little too tongue in cheek. Hey, at least this has some nice colors.
I have a Sango kaku that had severe dieback similar to this one. I chopped it low and it's doing well now. However, all the black area on the trunk was above where I cut... not sure if that's a death knell.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Forever jealous of those in warmer climates. I figure you get at least 2 months more grow time than me. But, I get a longer winter break if that's a consolation. My trees are just about to pop and I am hopefully getting close to having all the root work done for the year.

Top Bottom