ABS Learning Seminar 2024/Michigan All-State Bonsai Show, Grand Rapids, MI, May 9-12, 2024

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I'm not seeing a lot of information online yet, but I got this flyer at a club meeting today.
This is the first I am seeing of it as well.

Sounds like a funny thing... but if I get advanced notification, we can definitely support the show!

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I was just in Michigan and visited the little Fall show they were having there. One of the vendors mentioned this big Spring show as well. Sadly, won't be able to attend that one, but it sounds cool. I also don't which club maintains the bonsai trees in the Meijer's Japanese garden outside, but they were lovely. The whole garden was.

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was just in Michigan and visited the little Fall show they were having there. One of the vendors mentioned this big Spring show as well. Sadly, won't be able to attend that one, but it sounds cool. I also don't which club maintains the bonsai trees in the Meijer's Japanese garden outside, but they were lovely. The whole garden was.
Nice, I went to the fall show this past weekend as well. The All-State show in spring is annual & much bigger than the fall one, however the 2024 spring show is also being combined with the ABS annual learning seminar. I'm really looking forward to it, I'm hoping I can fit in a workshop with Suthin and/or Jack.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you for coming to our West michigan bonsai club fall show! Hope you enjoyed it, it's a fun one to put on and certainly doesn't compare to our all-state show. My tree was the (very immature) dawn redwood forest :)

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Oh, nice! I dragged my aunt and uncle along (I was in town to visit them) and they were impressed by all the trees. They liked the redwood forest among others. We all voted for different trees. I confess I voted for the multi-trunk seiju elm--I'm a sucker for tiny leaves.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
You know it is really frustrating that there is not more attention paid to other shows when planning these events...

Three really big shows on consecutive weekends and all in the mid section of the country...sure seems like very poor planning...especially on ABS (this is not first time they have done this)
ABS - May 9-12 -Michigan
Bonsai-Central - May 3-5 - St. Louis
Bonsai on Bayou - April 25-28 - Houston

The Houston and St. Louis shows have been scheduled for a pretty good while already...why on earth would ABS plan something so close????

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You know it is really frustrating that there is not more attention paid to other shows when planning these events...

Three really big shows on consecutive weekends and all in the mid section of the country...sure seems like very poor planning...especially on ABS (this is not first time they have done this)
ABS - May 9-12 -Michigan

The Houston and St. Louis shows have been scheduled for a pretty good while already...why on earth would ABS plan something so close????
Just to give a little perspective on this from someone helping plan one of these shows - you usually have to get some/all of your artists lined up and make a down payment on the venue way before you start publicizing the event (we were already locked on our date ~two years before event date). I think this is one of those unfortunate overlaps that was hard to predict, but I hope it's a learning experience for everyone because it's to everyones benefit if we can figure out how to space them out temporally in the future.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Im always really excited for the Grand Rapids, Mi show, which is much better than you might expect for a regional show. The ABS will amp next year's show up even more, I for one am very excited. Also, it looks like I will most likely be doing a White Cedar Workshop with collected material.

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

ABS - May 9-12 -Michigan

I agree, I was already registered for Bonsai Central when this was announced and this is less than an hour from home when BC is a 10 hour drive. As @Kanorin mentioned, large events like this are planned very far in advance, so I don't hold it against the event organizers. However, now I need to figure out how to convince my wife I need to go to a large bonsai event for the second weekend in a row... on Mother's Day 😬

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree, I was already registered for Bonsai Central when this was announced and this is less than an hour from home when BC is a 10 hour drive. As @Kanorin mentioned, large events like this are planned very far in advance, so I don't hold it against the event organizers. However, now I need to figure out how to convince my wife I need to go to a large bonsai event for the second weekend in a row... on Mother's Day 😬
For what it’s worth, there will be a ‘Mother’s Day special’ package that includes entry for 2, a tram tour of Frederick Meijer gardens, and beginner tree/pot/soil :)

Not sure if that will sway anyone haha!

Regarding scheduling, yes, the ABS piece was booked I believe 2-3 years in advance, and possibly more with how meijer gardens plans out their events many years ahead. I can certainly understand the overlapping frustration though!

@mattspinniken I’m going to be ‘program managing’ for the weekend but am going to try to find a way to listen in on your workshop!

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
For what it’s worth, there will be a ‘Mother’s Day special’ package that includes entry for 2, a tram tour of Frederick Meijer gardens, and beginner tree/pot/soil :)

Not sure if that will sway anyone haha!

Regarding scheduling, yes, the ABS piece was booked I believe 2-3 years in advance, and possibly more with how meijer gardens plans out their events many years ahead. I can certainly understand the overlapping frustration though!

@mattspinniken I’m going to be ‘program managing’ for the weekend but am going to try to find a way to listen in on your workshop!
We've been to the gardens so this might work for her next year! She even gets a tree of her own...:D

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Just to give a little perspective on this from someone helping plan one of these shows - you usually have to get some/all of your artists lined up and make a down payment on the venue way before you start publicizing the event (we were already locked on our date ~two years before event date). I think this is one of those unfortunate overlaps that was hard to predict, but I hope it's a learning experience for everyone because it's to everyones benefit if we can figure out how to space them out temporally in the future.
I agree with you completely! This is not the first time that ABS has done this though.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Join people from around the country for the 2024 ABS Learning Seminar in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Set in beautiful Meijer Gardens and featuring some of North America’s finest artists and teachers, a large display and vendor area, and a vibrant community of bonsai artists, this is an event not to be missed. May 9th-12th, 2024 at Fredrik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids, MI. Additional information and the registration link coming soon at: https://www.americanbonsaisociety.org/abs-learning-seminars/

IMG_1632.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At least it isnt on Memorial day weekend like it was for a few years.
That was definitely an no way in hell am I going to a bonsai event and dealing with all the traffic and other travelers plus hotels are more expensive that weekend

Top Bottom