ABS LEARNING SYMPOSIUM: June 11-14, 2015

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
Can we just pay admission for the exhibition and vendor area ? Can anyone there ask before I drag the wife there ? Could be the end of my bonsai hobby adventure .......

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can we just pay admission for the exhibition and vendor area ? Can anyone there ask before I drag the wife there ? Could be the end of my bonsai hobby adventure .......

$10 fee to see the vendor room and exhibit
$50 for the day for lectures, exhibit and vendors

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was up there Saturday morning/early afternoon. Cost $10 to get into the vendor area and exhibition. I spent my paycheck on couple of Matt Ouwinga's pots (glad he's becoming a Marylander, soon he'll know what "goin downnee ocean hon" means, if eating all those Chesapeake crabs doesn't kill him first), and some Aoki and custom blend bonsai dirt. Also eavesdropped on a Ryan Neal workshop. Met Guy Guidry and other assorted bonsai denizens. Was going to help a friend move his workshop tree home in my truck, but we thought better of cramming it into my double cab.

All in all, a pretty good event. Vendors were pretty awesome. I was amazed at my restraint. Almost sprung for some "reasonably" (and reasonable is a fluid term) price ponderosa from Andy Smith. I just couldn't explain to my wife that a $250 four foot tall, three inch diameter Pondy was "reasonable" --even though it was a deal.

The venue was nice too. Hadn't been over there before.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was there for the weekend, and had a really great time. The event turned out to be a really good one, and it was nice to meet people on this board and others in person, and catch up with other bonsai friends. Too bad I also missed you Adair - I would have liked to have met you too.

Ryan Neil was fantastic as always. If you haven't seen or worked with him before, I would strongly encourage that you do so. He effortlessly blends artistry and horticultural knowledge in a very engaging educational style (sort of the Socratic method, but much more fun than what is used in law school). I don't know how the guy was standing by the end of the weekend. I checked into the resort at about 11pm on Wednesday night, and he had just arrived off the plane from the west coast. His RMJ workshop was supposed to be from 10-3 on Thursday, but he stayed to work with people until about 5pm. Friday and Saturday with full workshop days for him (Friday evening also including the Arboretum reception), and then Sunday morning was his BYOT workshop. Somehow outside of all that, he also managed to style a collected RMJ for the Saturday auction. He's a really nice guy and a special talent, and I think what he is doing for American bonsai with the Artisan's Cup is going to be incredible.

Guy Guidry was another of the experts at the show. When the trees brought in for his bald cypress workshop and for his demo weren't up to par, he instead used a big old bald cypress brought in by one of the participants to demo on, where he spent three hours carving and burning the tree. Wanting to finish the tree, after the Arboretum event, he worked from about 10pm to 1am in an impromptu demo session with Michael Levin from Bonsai West and about a dozen others in a very fun, relaxed atmosphere (the beer that kept coming to the room probably helped). It was one of those really fun memorable events that will stay with me forever, and the tree ended up amazing. Like Ryan, he was also incredibly nice and one of those guys you'd like to have a beer with (or six or more as we did on Friday night), and if you could take a workshop with him, it would be well worth your while.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are some pics of trees in the ABS Symposium display area. I hope you enjoy viewing them. In the first one, Martin Schmalenberg is seen. Martin took top honors for his pitch pine.

Attachments

• 1IMG_1721POST.jpg
    1IMG_1721POST.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 1IMG_1729POST.jpg
    1IMG_1729POST.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 1IMG_1734 POST.jpg
    1IMG_1734 POST.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 36
  • 1IMG_1740 POST.jpg
    1IMG_1740 POST.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 1IMG_1741 POST.jpg
    1IMG_1741 POST.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 37
  • 1IMG_1742 POST.jpg
    1IMG_1742 POST.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 37

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
some more

Attachments

• 1IMG_1746 POST.jpg
    1IMG_1746 POST.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 38
  • 1IMG_1748 POST.jpg
    1IMG_1748 POST.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 1IMG_1749 POST.jpg
    1IMG_1749 POST.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 1IMG_1750 POST.jpg
    1IMG_1750 POST.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 1IMG_1751 POST.jpg
    1IMG_1751 POST.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 1IMG_1752 POST.jpg
    1IMG_1752 POST.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 38

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
still more. These two were both amazing (not that the others were anything less). Jack Sustic's maple forest, and Bill Valavanis' Koto hime maple.

Attachments

• 1jack sustic maple forest POST.jpg
    1jack sustic maple forest POST.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 1KOTOHIME VALAVANIS POST.jpg
    1KOTOHIME VALAVANIS POST.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 37
Top Bottom