ABS Learning Seminar 2024/Michigan All-State Bonsai Show, Grand Rapids, MI, May 9-12, 2024

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I’m coming to Friday but can’t decide on which workshop to attend yet. Leaning towards a juniper workshop but perhaps the black pine. Is there a program list of when the demonstrations and seminars will be? Perhaps that would sway my choice.
I saw this schedule. https://www.americanbonsaisociety.org/abs-learning-seminars-schedule/

Page down for Friday. Looks like plenty to do for me. :) Way more than the screen shot.
1705720944442.png

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for this! It did sway my choice. I’m officially registered for Friday and ended up going with the bring your own tree workshop. I have juniper in mind I picked up at the fall show that has a lot of promise. I’ll likely shop the vendors in the morning too as a secondary option if I see something that strikes my fancy. I’m very excited for this event. Thanks for sharing the link and info everyone.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for this! It did sway my choice. I’m officially registered for Friday and ended up going with the bring your own tree workshop. I have juniper in mind I picked up at the fall show that has a lot of promise. I’ll likely shop the vendors in the morning too as a secondary option if I see something that strikes my fancy. I’m very excited for this event. Thanks for sharing the link and info everyone.
YW. I'm rolling in Friday with the family to see Meijer Gardens and Hit the ABS vendors & coming back Saturday for classes & buying more stuff. :) Bring back the B-Nut t-shirt!

Last edited:

TCEvan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I saw this schedule. https://www.americanbonsaisociety.org/abs-learning-seminars-schedule/

Page down for Friday. Looks like plenty to do for me. :) Way more than the screen shot.

Thanks for posting, it was very unclear what all was included when I checked it out when registration went live, and kind of looked like $150/day just got you in the door. I signed up for Friday. I wish I could do the whole weekend, but leaving my wife home alone with the kids for 2-3 days on Mother's Day weekend was a non-starter.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for posting, it was very unclear what all was included when I checked it out when registration went live, and kind of looked like $150/day just got you in the door. I signed up for Friday. I wish I could do the whole weekend, but leaving my wife home alone with the kids for 2-3 days on Mother's Day weekend was a non-starter.
YW. I was a bit confused by that also. The real confusion comes when I get there and can't find the classes. :) So, if you see a lost dog walking around, that's me. ;)

@markyscott as a ABS seasoned veteran... Do I need a ticket or registration number when I get there or just my ID ? I have my email receipts and when I read the emails it didn't mention how all that works. It did say show up early for check-in so I assumed they have my info. Any knowledge you can share is helpful.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
YW. I was a bit confused by that also. The real confusion comes when I get there and can't find the classes. :) So, if you see a lost dog walking around, that's me. ;)

@markyscott as a ABS seasoned veteran... Do I need a ticket or registration number when I get there or just my ID ? I have my email receipts and when I read the emails it didn't mention how all that works. It did say show up early for check-in so I assumed they have my info. Any knowledge you can share is helpful.
Let me check with the organizers and I will get back to you.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Just give them your name at the registration desk. They should have all your registration information.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looking for something to do with Mom or that special someone in your life? How about the Mother’s Day Special at the 2024 ABS Learning Seminar? Included is admission and a tram tour of the wonderful Meijer Gardens, a beginners bonsai workshop, a tree to work on and share with your partner, a pot, soil and everything you need to get started. All of this for one low price that can’t be beat. Sign up now by scanning the QR code on the flyer!
IMG_1852.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just give them your name at the registration desk. They should have all your registration information.
FYI. I did notice that the confirmation email from the ABS Learning Seminar 2024 does have a ticket as an attachment. Just wanted to let you know in case someone else asks. Sorry for the confusion on my part. :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looking for something to do with Mom or that special someone in your life? How about the Mother’s Day Special at the 2024 ABS Learning Seminar? Included is admission and a tram tour of the wonderful Meijer Gardens, a beginners bonsai workshop, a tree to work on and share with your partner, a pot, soil and everything you need to get started. All of this for one low price that can’t be beat. Sign up now by scanning the QR code on the flyer!
Oh my goodness... if I lived within 200 miles I'd be taking my mom to this!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
May 9-11, 2024, Grand Rapids, MI. ABS Learning Seminars in coordination with the Michigan All-State Bonsai Show and the West Michigan Bonsai Club.

Are you a procrastinator like me? Well we have great news for you! Because the registration period is a bit shorter than normal, we have decided to extend the early-bird registration period until March 15. That’s right! The amazing lineup of fantastic artists, great workshops and seminars, and beautiful exhibition can all be yours at SIGNIFICANT savings. Spots are going fast, so don’t miss this special opportunity to increase your knowledge, improve the quality of your collection, and fatten your wallet at the same time!

Additional information and the registration link are now available at: https://www.americanbonsaisociety.org/abs-learning-seminars/
IMG_1895.png

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
One of the many exciting things about the 2024 ABS Learning Seminar in Grand Rapids, Michigan is the opportunity to view and work with some very fine collected material from the Great Lakes State! Here is a selection of some of the world class workshop material available!

IMG_1692.jpegIMG_1691.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
One of the many exciting things about the 2024 ABS Learning Seminar in Grand Rapids, Michigan is the opportunity to view and work with some very fine collected material from the Great Lakes State! Here is a selection of some of the world class workshop material available!

View attachment 530701View attachment 530702
Impressive!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Are you planning on attending the ABS Learning Seminar in Grand Rapids May. 9-12, 2024? Have you been practicing bonsai 10 years or less? Why not participate in the Joshua Roth New Talent Contest? It’s fun! It’s a chance to practice your bonsai skills! Cash value of awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place is $1750! Details and registration instructions may be found at: https://www.americanbonsaisociety.org/new-talent-contest/!!

IMG_1904.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mother's day weekend...
Some idiot insisted on scheduling it for Memorial day weekend every year for a while which was incredibly dumb. Yea let's schedule a big event on one of the most expensive weekends to travel of the year because hotels in particular jack their prices up that weekend. Besides the fact it's a huge weekend for family events, "official" start of summer, etc.

This isn't much smarter and will probably hurt attendance as already indicated by people that can't do the weekend because of it.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Please be nice. The hosting club wanted to do this in conjunction with the Michigan All-State Show, which has been held Mother’s Day weekend every year for many years. The rates that were negotiated with the convention hotel are reasonable. Sorry it doesn’t work for you.

- S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
For a new talent contest, the material that will be available in this year's Joshua Roth New Talent Contest at the ABS Learning Seminar in Grand Rapids May 9-12, 2024 is enviable. Makes me wish I'd been doing this less than 10 years. Very nice trees to show case your skills. Details and registration instructions may be found at: https://www.americanbonsaisociety.org/new-talent-contest/!!

429798012_795043366001595_750710632136782506_n.jpg430018335_795043362668262_6720186026060611011_n.jpg

hemi71cuda

Sapling
Reaction score
I typically make the trip for the All-State Show so I’m planning to come to this. Not interested in any workshops so I’d like to go with a companion ticket. Anyone willing to take me on as a companion?! I make woodfired ceramics and can offer a pot or cup/mug in exchange😉
IMG_2476.jpeg

TCEvan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I typically make the trip for the All-State Show so I’m planning to come to this. Not interested in any workshops so I’d like to go with a companion ticket. Anyone willing to take me on as a companion?! I make woodfired ceramics and can offer a pot or cup/mug in exchange😉
Based on what was said earlier in the thread, I think if you don't plan to go to any of the presentations or anything you can get in with just a ticket to the garden to see the trees and vendor area.

Top Bottom