What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

Left work early today to hit up a nursery about 45 minutes away that I hadn't been to. They have some nice arrow-straight, 15 ft tall, 7-8" trunk bald cypress on sale right now for 150 bucks each. I may go back for a few to add to the 5 I already have, these are really healthy looking to boot. They also have Metasequoia, 10-12 ft tall for 225 each I wouldn't mind. Didn't have my truck with me or I would have grabbed some stuff.

They had some nice 4 ft tall, 3 inch diameter trunk hinoki as well, but at 495 bucks I passed, though the ones I have may take a decade to get that big I feel like lol.

No photos of the bc's, but here are the meta.
20240108_142324.jpg

Potted some ficus cuttings for winter growing under lights. Have three more to pot up.

Then, began work on my next VFD pot but my wife thought i was too loud with the dremel and threw a left over tortilla at me so I only made one cut at the top of the pot. I started reassembling the body though now that the components have had a couple months to cure from thier spar urethane treatment. I want to get the cascade planted soon.

Shellacked circuit board:
20240108_223510.jpg

Reassembled front
20240108_223513.jpg

What I cut for the actual plant opening before being tortillaed
20240108_223933.jpg

Potted some ficus cuttings for winter growing under lights. Have three more to pot up.

Then, began work on my next VFD pot but my wife thought i was too loud with the dremel and threw a left over tortilla at me so I only made one cut at the top of the pot. I started reassembling the body though now that the components have had a couple months to cure from thier spar urethane treatment. I want to get the cascade planted soon.

View attachment 523839

Reassembled front
View attachment 523841

View attachment 523840
😂. Not the tortilla!

😂. Not the tortilla!
In her defense, I deserved it. Lol. At first I was using the dremel on high speed and she told me to stop.... so I turned it down to low speed. Next thing I feel is the cold slap of the tortilla on the side of my face. Lol.

I did my rounds, inspecting my tropicals, after work and spotted this guy already emerging. I planted these on Sunday in the wee hours of the morning.

This is one of the Monkey-Ear Tree. Speedy little guy. My Korean Hornbeams and approx 130 Korean Fir seeds (expectedly) are still hiding. I'm not expecting much from the Firs as they were mostly the floaters and have not been cold stratified yet.

20240109_003252.jpg

View attachment 523839

Reassembled front
View attachment 523841

View attachment 523840
What are you using the VFD for?

I stripped off the few remaining leaves on my biggest bald cypress and pruned it back for better taper. Newbies (and some veterans) cringe at taking off so much growth, but it's necessary for the nice tapering of branches. This tree has seen 2 growing seasons from collection. Collected with a completely bare stump. Now, I'm off to do a bit of wiring on it.

unnamed (16).jpgunnamed.jpg

Potted this hornbeam today. I got it to fit into a 7 quart oil drain pan from O’Reillys. This one had a ton of fine feeders and luckily I only had to trim the big ones to get it to fit. I probably could have cut the trunk a whole lot lower but I want to make this one into a larger formal upright. Once it starts budding out I will make up my mind how tall I want it.
IMG_0503.jpeg
IMG_0505.jpeg
IMG_0505.jpegIMG_0506.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom