What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

Nice set up! Those junipers though are not going to like being inside!!!
Thanks
Oddly enough they have been inside for two years already. They get a little crunchy in the winter that is for sure and don’t grow much but they live at least.

I’m going to try some different humidifiers here soon and higher quality grow lights

Thanks
Oddly enough they have been inside for two years already. They get a little crunchy in the winter that is for sure and don’t grow much but they live at least.

I’m going to try some different humidifiers here soon and higher quality grow lights

The thing is, they need dormancy.
They can't get that inside a warm house all winter. They won't last if you don't allow them that.

First snow here
20240107_192950.jpg

The thing is, they need dormancy.
They can't get that inside a warm house all winter. They won't last if you don't allow them that.

First snow here
View attachment 523732
I know indoor bonsai is a dirty word but I’m sure I’m not the only one who has had a juniper indoors for multiple years without an issue.

Unfortunately I don’t have a garden to work with in a townhouse.

I know indoor bonsai is a dirty word but I’m sure I’m not the only one who has had a juniper indoors for multiple years without an issue.

Unfortunately I don’t have a garden to work with in a townhouse.
Nope only one guy ever did it for many years. His name was Jack Wickle. His set up was pretty elaborate.

The fact you say your trees get crispy during the winter and they don't grow tells me they aren't doing well.

Nope only one guy ever did it for many years. His name was Jack Wickle. His set up was pretty elaborate.

The fact you say your trees get crispy during the winter and they don't grow tells me they aren't doing well.
They get crunchy because it’s extremely dry here was my assumption

Not saying your wrong because I literally know nothing but it seems lots of people on YouTube do. Much more then 1

I have had it indoors for 2 years successfully but as you say certainly not thriving

If they need to go dormant and can’t obviously go outside in Colorado then why does every store sell these like packs of bubble gum. Heck you can buy them at ace hardware.

Not saying your wrong because I literally know nothing but it seems lots of people on YouTube do. Much more then 1

I have had it indoors for 2 years successfully but as you say certainly not thriving

If they need to go dormant and can’t obviously go outside in Colorado then why does every store sell these like packs of bubble gum. Heck you can buy them at ace hardware.

We call them "mallsai". Every mall has a kiosk with them, vans on the side of the road or in parking lots. My first bonsai was found in the grocery store. The vendor all tell you "they can be grown indoors".

1000s of people buy them and within a couple of months, the trees start dying. We get numerous people every year coming here to post "new to bonsai, got/was given this tree. Now my tree is dying, please help". Most of them are already dead.

I did the same, kept it inside until it started getting crispy. I did some quick research, found out junipers need to be outside. Took mine home and put it out on my deck. It survived and I still have it 12 years later.

Last edited:

If it's juniperus procumbens - which is very likely - yes, they can go outdoors in winter here in Colorado.
Use the search function on the site, and you'll find days worth of reading on different methods of overwintering trees.
You can also search for Jack Wickle, and you'll find somewhere a PDF of an old article detailing how he did it. Short version is damn that's allot of lights. It was the 80s, and lightning technology has progressed substantially, but it's still really not worth the effort when the tree's aren't as happy as the could be.

Plenty of us Coloradans on BNut, so we can help you figure it out. Just ask away.

But junipers CAN stay outdoors in colorado... most are very hardy. A patio situation can be made to work pretty easily for winter protection. Look up patio bonsai care on here. Many people, especially in China only have a balcony and successfully grow great trees.

Speaking of junipers.. a virginiana Im potting now. Dug today. Has a great little trunk movement low.

170468670384893269278727686196.jpg

If it's juniperus procumbens - which is very likely - yes, they can go outdoors in winter here in Colorado.
Use the search function on the site, and you'll find days worth of reading on different methods of overwintering trees.
You can also search for Jack Wickle, and you'll find somewhere a PDF of an old article detailing how he did it. Short version is damn that's allot of lights. It was the 80s, and lightning technology has progressed substantially, but it's still really not worth the effort when the tree's aren't as happy as the could be.

Plenty of us Coloradans on BNut, so we can help you figure it out. Just ask away.
Great, thanks for the kind words

So if I put them both outside of the remainder of the winter to go dormant , what do I do with them in the summer. My balcony doesn’t get any sun so I would have to bring them back in I assume

Bottom line: Keep Juniper outside for dormancy and allow tree to rest (from heat, harsh wind, etc.) so that on each following year/Spring the tree will exit dormancy with all that stored energy (sugars and starches from the year before) to flush multiple times of growth during Spring, then Summer, then Fall, and accumulate more foliage and strength so that it will stay strong and healthy to survive the next coming Winter/dormancy. Water as needed (when soil begins to feel dry 1” depth from surface) each season.

Great, thanks for the kind words

So if I put them both outside of the remainder of the winter to go dormant , what do I do with them in the summer. My balcony doesn’t get any sun so I would have to bring them back in I assume
First off, don't just throw them out in the cold. They'll need time to adjust. You would have to do the bonsai two-step or shuffle as we say. Take them out during the day when it's above freezing, and back in at night when the temps plummet. We're getting to the time of year that there aren't so many days above freezing, so depending on where in the state you are you might just cross your fingers that your trees make it to next winter when you can do it right.
But if you can, give them a day at a time of cold above freezing, then a week just at freezing, then let it go colder.
Sounds like you have a north facing balcony. That's not too bad. On the north side there's no direct sun in winter, which means no extreme temperature swings. It's the temp swings that do the most damage.
A big cooler positioned against the wall of the house could hold your trees, and the warmth from the building would be enough to keep them from freezing solid. If you could make something more purpose built that was insulated on all sides except the house, even better. Make sure you open the lid and check on them every day. You need to keep the air fresh for them.

Indirect sun on a shaded balcony is still better than what they're getting indoors right now. Look around for a PPF/PAR meter app for your phone, and you can measure it. The sun is so much stronger that outdoor shade is often still better than indoor bright lights.

Finished potting this juniper. Wired it before throwing in the grow box and gave it some curves. Removed some unwanted branches. Tossed it outside. Its been in the ground so probably should survive. I wanted something particularly angular so this would be a nice change of style from my other virginiana which are mostly upright. If it doesnt live oh well. It was free and ill plant something else in the box next year.

If it lives through winter, Ill give it its own thread.

Box prep... had the box built from summer but now Im out. Need a nice weekend day to get the saw and compressor out. Need about ten or fifteen boxes for next spring minimum.
20240107_203121.jpg
20240107_203524.jpg
20240107_231731.jpg

Tree wired before planting:
20240107_231548.jpg

Progress photos during wiring/pruning:
20240107_233059.jpg
20240107_233106.jpg
20240107_234722.jpg
20240107_235307.jpg

First off, don't just throw them out in the cold. They'll need time to adjust. You would have to do the bonsai two-step or shuffle as we say. Take them out during the day when it's above freezing, and back in at night when the temps plummet. We're getting to the time of year that there aren't so many days above freezing, so depending on where in the state you are you might just cross your fingers that your trees make it to next winter when you can do it right.
But if you can, give them a day at a time of cold above freezing, then a week just at freezing, then let it go colder.
Sounds like you have a north facing balcony. That's not too bad. On the north side there's no direct sun in winter, which means no extreme temperature swings. It's the temp swings that do the most damage.
A big cooler positioned against the wall of the house could hold your trees, and the warmth from the building would be enough to keep them from freezing solid. If you could make something more purpose built that was insulated on all sides except the house, even better. Make sure you open the lid and check on them every day. You need to keep the air fresh for them.

Indirect sun on a shaded balcony is still better than what they're getting indoors right now. Look around for a PPF/PAR meter app for your phone, and you can measure it. The sun is so much stronger that outdoor shade is often still better than indoor bright lights.
Awesome thank you
I was just going to go out them out as you all suggest then saw 28 as a high today and 12 as a low !!! Eeeek
Might start the two step at a slight warmer day

Back
Top Bottom