trunk splitting/widening opinion

Maybe you should give this technique a try on some tree in a nursery can, and maybe not a J. Maple. I can't imagine how this would work on a small diameter tree like you are proposing. If you are new to bonsai, maybe try the tried and true approach and learn to carve down from larger instead of working such a large scale invasion on a small sapling. I would think that a chopped down crabapple would be an interesting candidate.

Oh, and maybe it was just a joke, but even joking about jacking someones trees, be it on a golf course, or public lands is not so funny to me.

Maybe you should give this technique a try on some tree in a nursery can, and maybe not a J. Maple. I can't imagine how this would work on a small diameter tree like you are proposing. If you are new to bonsai, maybe try the tried and true approach and learn to carve down from larger instead of working such a large scale invasion on a small sapling. I would think that a chopped down crabapple would be an interesting candidate.

Oh, and maybe it was just a joke, but even joking about jacking someones trees, be it on a golf course, or public lands is not so funny to me.

I am uncertain how I can just obtain said larger stock, as if all my local nurseries have an abundance of fantastic usable stock. Grow it, yes with time. perchance it, possibly most nurseries carry sapling similar to what I've purchased, or its a 4"-6" diameter tall and lengthy transplant tree. I do not have the luxury of a bonsai nursery close to my area.

i guess no body has time for humor these days, "PINK THONGS" , yea it definitely was a joke seeing how I would struggle to walk away from a golf course with a large mature maple tree, not that it hasn't been done but I have no intensions of doing anything of those sorts. it was a comment out of frustration, as mentioned before I could just go collect a wild grown maple, but I cannot as they are not a native species in my region

I did not know that. Maybe next time I go out there I can leave a few little holes in the ground.

I did not know that. Maybe next time I go out there I can leave a few little holes in the ground.

As you should, during numerous hikes I have come across some of the most amazing naturally grown specimen I have ever witnessed, that being said since I have only taken 2 from the area and unfortunately did not have success for a variety of reasons, I am more willing to let them be so they may continue their life cycle undisturbed. I am not even close to a point where I could replicate the look of harsh natural process these trees go through. You on the other hand would probably fare far better then myself. If you do decide to make your way this direction I would like to know just the general area you decide to do some possible collecting

I would like to approach this in a different direction, now lets say air-layer to create a shorter trunk section and a more compact look. What is a time frame of successful root development through air-layering?

Pssst.... if you really want a fatter trunk with a good base grow it and chop it. Kind of a secret technique but I'm letting you in on it.

I'd try it on a regular maple growing in your area first.
A nursery bloodgod big enough for this to work is not cheap !

If not predrilled, lags tear the s out of sapless wood.

To get the very base to "open", the roots would have to be out of the ground, or you will just make a hole. Which leads me to a vision of you, (in pink thongs) drill in hand, tree spinning at the end of it(the drill), throwing nursery soil all over......

I would......

Set the depth of a blade, saw, grinder, to 2\3 - 3\4 depth of your tree, and rip it from the bottom up. Then make some wood wedges to beat up into it from the bottom. Or from the side like yours screws. Cut off excess.
Repot. Let rot!

Sounds interesting! Shoot a video!

Sorce
I blew water out my nose on that one.

I would like to approach this in a different direction, now lets say air-layer to create a shorter trunk section and a more compact look. What is a time frame of successful root development through air-layering?

Layers could take 2 weeks to 2 years.

But is it the airlayer or the base that will become your shorter trunk and compact look?

Keep the fat base part, the bottom, and follow the bucketmouth, who spills all the secrets!
Let it grow!

If I were in Colorado, I wouldn't be wasting my time with difficult species when the pinnacle of Bonsai material is within sniffing distance!

When I wired my Parsonis juniper, that juniper smell, it reminded me of being in the mountains,(16years ago) it wasn't until then, that I realized how many junipers I was amidst up there. The smell, made visions.

You can make ok bonsai with a lot of try, or you can use microclimate natives and have Excellent bonsai with ease!

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom