Trunk Splitting a Shimpaku Juniper

Its sad they split the trunk on that beautiful tree in the post above. It had an aged looking trunk and a decent height, I would have been happy to enjoy it as it was.

ed

Ah, but look at it critically Ed. It is missing branches completely on one entire side. The remaining branches are old and very well developed. It would be impossible to bend them in a meaningful and realistic fashion. Additionally the branches are too high on the tree, and the lower trunk is a stove pipe - straight and with no taper or movement from the nebari to the first branch. It had many critical flaws.

Now if the tree lives and thrives in its new design, it has an amazing future as bonsai. Think of how it might look assuming the bark heals the the branches thicken and ramify. That is the big "if" :) But I don't believe it had a bonsai future before - at least not one that I could envision.

Ah, but look at it critically Ed. It is missing branches completely on one entire side. The remaining branches are old and very well developed. It would be impossible to bend them in a meaningful and realistic fashion. Additionally the branches are too high on the tree, and the lower trunk is a stove pipe - straight and with no taper or movement from the nebari to the first branch. It had many critical flaws.

Now if the tree lives and thrives in its new design, it has an amazing future as bonsai. Think of how it might look assuming the bark heals the the branches thicken and ramify. That is the big "if" :) But I don't believe it had a bonsai future before - at least not one that I could envision.

I tend to agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom