The Yamadori Thread

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
The trees above were collected just few weeks ago so they are going to be pampered for the rest of the year. The junipers will be misted and away from the wind until they die or grow. I'm doing the same to the pinyon but I am not sure if it will do anything. Just experimenting.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are some great looking trees that have been posted in this thread! This is all making me wish the laws governing collecting were a just little more flexible in California... :(

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
pulled a chestnut tree out of the mountain today....hope it comes out well.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Daygan, BujaeKorea, the intent of this thread is to get more people posting pics of their collected trees. So try to include a pic with all responses.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Eastern Larch. Collected in 1982 from near the Manistee River. Is going to go through a major over-haul this summer. Last Winter took the trunk on the left. I now have to figure out which is the best way to go with the tree. Obiviously it will have a good deal of dead wood to work with. The problem is going to be determining just how much is enough.

.LarchStyled4Sept99JPG.jpg

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Daygan, BujaeKorea, the intent of this thread is to get more people posting pics of their collected trees. So try to include a pic with all responses.

Thanks. Sorry - I guess I didn't read the thread from the beginning. Below is a picture of an elm I collected in a rural area south of Beijing. It's currently in the ground (hopefully growing) and awaiting a time when I can dig it up and ship it to the U.S. or elsewhere depending on what U.S. import rules will allow.

index.php

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

And then I didn't post a pic myself.....

Here's a crabapple from N. Illinois, something between field grown and yamadori.

Attachments

• photo (43).JPG
    photo (43).JPG
    552.2 KB · Views: 240

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Early morning collections from yesterday. First one is either Quercus Dentata or Castanea mollissima second one is......ummmmmm "Cool tree".....
Basically I have no idea.

Attachments

• 20150330_143033.jpg
    20150330_143033.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 20150330_143202.jpg
    20150330_143202.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 234

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Quick question on yamadori/field grown. On deciduous trees, once you make the first chop is it best to let advantageous branches grow from where ever they sprout or should you rub off the bottom buds in order to force budding upwards?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It depends on the specific tree. Some trees are lazy and will seek the paths of least resistance, like a lot of people that find it better to live in poverty on welfare as opposed to getting a job and having to go to work every day. The point is: Sometimes certain species of tree will shoot stuff right at the base and completely abandon the rest of the tree. In those cases if it is your desire to preserve the choped trunk and the design possibilities it presents you must manage back budding wisely. It is kind of a balancing problem. If you are not careful you might lose the tree. It would be best to understand the tree you are dealing with.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It depends on the specific tree. Some trees are lazy and will seek the paths of least resistance, like a lot of people that find it better to live in poverty on welfare as opposed to getting a job and having to go to work every day. The point is: Sometimes certain species of tree will shoot stuff right at the base and completely abandon the rest of the tree. In those cases if it is your desire to preserve the choped trunk and the design possibilities it presents you must manage back budding wisely. It is kind of a balancing problem. If you are not careful you might lose the tree. It would be best to understand the tree you are dealing with.
There are two that I am concerned about. One is a hawthorn, the other birch.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Specific trees in this area are not my forte, you will have to wait for someone else to respond or rely on keeping your eyes open.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have a yellow and river birch and I find they don't back bud all that well. The river just wants to buds at the base and no where else on the trunk. While the yellow will just abandon areas where I ruboff buds.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Next weekend I'm going into the mountains to hunt for yamadori, I'll take a few pics!

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
Next weekend I'm going into the mountains to hunt for yamadori, I'll take a few pics!

A new collected Ponderosa Pine. It is around 6' tall and I am really hoping that it makes it. I could not get enough roots and it is still green but it has not started to push needles. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

www.chobonsaiyamadori.com

Attachments

• SuperTwistedPonderosa.jpg
    SuperTwistedPonderosa.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 226

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I pulled this fig from its host tree. I liked the roots and wanted to get into bonsai. That was three years ago, but I only started learning bonsai in the last year. It was taller, had big leaves, and long skinny branches. Since its my first tree, and Ive only been into tree torturing a short time, I think its on its way. Ive chopped, defoliated about 90% of its leaves to get backbuds. Now Im letting it grow branches. But I dont know how big they should be for bonsai. I also cut off some ugly roots, but I want to make a exposed root style with it. Its not the best material, but its great to learn with. The leaves are much smaller now, and I think it has branches in the right places, more or less. I think its not bad, since I only have the web to learn from here. I have since collected a bunch more but only this one has cool roots.. Thanks for looking. I know it has a long way to go, all my trees do, but not bad for 10 months or so. Ive really enjoyed it, even if its fugly to others folks. But Ive kept my first yamadori three years now, and learned a lot with it and gained good experience. Its growing very well, still looks healthy..

Attachments

• IMG_20160616_101324.jpg
    IMG_20160616_101324.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 210

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Heres another collected fig, pulled out of its host about 5-6 months ago. It was way taller and skinny. But chopped short I think its pretty cool. Now its growing out branches. Its about 4" tall and cool from all sides to me. But I like the natural hole, so I call this the front. Should I chop it shorter? My vision is a small tree, shohin or even meme size. I dont think banyan style will work for this one. But its base looks like a ficus one might find here 100' taller. So, am I doing alright for a web taught beginner? I have lots more and enjoy them a lot, I guess thats what counts. There are bonsai shows in San Jose but I dont plan on sbowing them there. Theyre for me and my friends to look at. Tomorrow Im going hunting again, its as addictive as the training....thanks for looking and laughing at it, maybe theres hope someday of being presentable.....

Attachments

• IMG_20160507_083250.jpg
    IMG_20160507_083250.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 206

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Collected from fenceline. The land it grew in was once wild; my dad purchased it and developed. I don't have a really exciting story as to how it was collected. Underneath the soil, I've been trying to get a better root spread. Would like a good nebari.
Here's the thread on this hack.

20160608_172159.jpg

Top Bottom