The 2022 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
😲 Yikes! I think Aspen are resilient to root loss, but still. Need to give that one a medal if it survives.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm curious, as well.
And I'm somewhat concerned...

I feel, for best (comparative) results, using this tree-as-a-cutting method, spring would possibly be a better (comparative) choice. Also when trying to strike cuttings..... The live tissues begin making distinctions between subterranean and above ground formats... "cuttings" are much more successful when 1/3-1/2 of their "bark" registers subterranean.

It is a neat tree, and I wish you luck.

(If it were mine and It already looked like that..... I would bury it deeper and get some underheat on it. To improve those odds that are already seeming to stack against me. I'd try (if I had this cutting/tree and it already looked like this) to "even" the playing field.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Aspen “cutting”, we’ll see what spring holds😜
Are there any roots on that at all? Have you read or have info that aspen can be handled this way and actually live? I'd like to collect some in the spring. Bet they would air layer pretty easy?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I’ve read about root cuttings taking easy with aspen. I’ve collected another with one root and the box was filled the next year…however with this experiment… who knows?
I have a good feeling it will work, maybe its just my optimism.

Here was the section of root l separated it from.

Attachments

• 2238B92B-9A37-4DE1-BEA6-E79614C2067C.jpeg
    2238B92B-9A37-4DE1-BEA6-E79614C2067C.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 39

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve read about root cuttings taking easy with aspen. I’ve collected another with one root and the box was filled the next year…however with this experiment… who knows?
I have a good feeling it will work, maybe its just my optimism.

Here was the section of root l separated it from.
This explains the "cutting."
If you manage to keep even a little of the root tissue intact, you might just be ok.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Anybody collect in Maryland? What are the rules and regulations for someone who hasn't taken this step?
I’m just north in central pa. I would be careful though given how strict md is on everything else. Make sure you get permission or apply for a tag at a ranger station etc.

Top Bottom