The Yamadori Thread

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike, do you ever collect in the UP? I'm curious what it's like in the Hiawatha Natl Forest.

Brian

Pic is Eouonymus alatus, burning bush, another escaped invasive. Collected by me in 2006.

Never been up there to collect trees. Wouldn't mind taking a little trip.
I collect around half of my trees from PowerLine right of ways. The rest from private land. Sometimes ditches.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice...where's the pic?

Another old RMJ collected about 15 years ago by someone somewhere;)

It's there. You need to look a little harder for it is all.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's there. You need to look a little harder for it is all.

I believe what Dave is getting at, is every post on this thread is supposed to have a picture, like the tree thread.

RMJ collected probably in 2012 or 2013, not sure who or where. I hope to get some work done on this one this year.

And this wraps up my yamadoris... So I guess I'll be just watching from now on!

image.jpg

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This California Juniper was collected by my father about 25 years ago from the Mojave Desert in California. This tree has never been wired or had any major work done. From time to time I would ask my dad when he was going to start working on this tree and he would always say it needs foliage higher up in the tree. I'm going to start a thread on this tree in the near future.
20130430_153134.jpg20130430_153151.jpg

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This Thuja Occidentalis was collected by me in 2010 I believe. It was collected in northern MN. It was grown into a rock formation, but the rock was more sedimentary than much of the rock here in northern MN. One simple use of a pry bar revealed it's root systems in a small amount of duff. The only thing really holding the tree in place was the wedge of rock I pryed off.

The current picture is the slab that Ron Lang made for me.

There is a branch in the middle of the tree that was removed for the sake of opening up a design. This 1.5 inch branch was cut, sanded, oiled, photographed and there were 70 plus rings. This is a very old tree.

Most of my collection revolves around yamadori from Northern MN. I won't post all of them here, but you can check out my photo blog. I have some shohin versions of this tree that I gathered this fall.

Here's the existent thread http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?10448-White-Cedar-Yamadori

2014-07-29 07.34.25.jpgPhoto May 15, 9 03 34 AM.jpgPhoto Sep 01, 5 38 22 PM.jpg

Last edited:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a White Spruce, Picea glauca, that was gathered here in northern MN about three years ago. You can see the progress made each year. I did repot and style the tree in the same year. Typically a no-no but I think it's pretty easy to tell if a spruce is healthy or on the ropes. The repot didn't seem to slow it down a bit, so I gave it some style.

A lot of good Yamadori I find have been knocked around early in life. I plan on enhancing the deadwood over time, creating a live vein that will be more dramatic. I also plan on shortening the branches a bit getting back budding closer to the truck. I've found it's pretty easy to do with spruce.

2012 fall.jpg2013 spring.jpg2014 Spring Before.jpg2014 summer.jpg

Link to existing thread...http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?15485-Exposed-Root-Spruce&highlight=white+spruce+fourteener

Last edited:

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
This California Juniper was collected by my father about 25 years ago from the Mojave Desert in California. This tree has never been wired or had any major work done. From time to time I would ask my dad when he was going to start working on this tree and he would always say it needs foliage higher up in the tree. I'm going to start a thread on this tree in the near future.
View attachment 65900View attachment 65901

Insanely nice tree! Really like it!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yellow birch-collected at about 3000' in upstate virginia

large bald cypress collected in a swamp in the same area

both will get a styling very soon

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the Thuja. Killed a nice one at one point trying to grow it in San Diego.

Ponderosa Pine, collected by me, 2010.

Attachments

• trees 4 apr 2010 009.jpg
    trees 4 apr 2010 009.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 380

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice job keeping the wild look. I was never able to get limber pine to stay put after wiring, but I don't think I was persistent/patient enough with them. Surely they have to set in place sometime.

Pic is of my "recovery room" when I lived in Colorado. Trees in the picture were collected in 2009, 2010. They are ponderosa, lodgepole and limber pines.

Brian

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 373

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice job keeping the wild look. I was never able to get limber pine to stay put after wiring, but I don't think I was persistent/patient enough with them. Surely they have to set in place sometime.

Pic is of my "recovery room" when I lived in Colorado. Trees in the picture were collected in 2009, 2010. They are ponderosa, lodgepole and limber pines.

Brian

Jealous of your set up. And your material. Ok, here is a hawthorn that I just dug in December. I believe it was hit by a mowing crew. Will see if it survives this spring. It has a diameter at the base of nearly 2.5 inches and a devloping uro.

Attachments

• Hawthorn.jpg
    Hawthorn.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 333

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 65900View attachment 65901

Very, cool, killer deadwood and foliage looks super healthy and dense, and good story too. I look forward to a thread on this one.

Here's an unstyled rmj collected spring 2012, repotted spring 2014.

Attachments

• IMG_20150125_130027.jpg
    IMG_20150125_130027.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 350

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A bald cypress collected by me last summer in S.C.. From the soil line to chop, the tree is 47" and has a flare at the soil line of over 11". As the roots are uncovered at the next repot, that spread will probably be closer 14-15". Here's to hoping a nice flat top style is in our future;).

Attachments

• DSC_0086.jpg
    DSC_0086.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC_0088.jpg
    DSC_0088.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 303
Top Bottom