The Yamadori Thread

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread is meant to be similar to "The Tree Thread," only Yamadori instead.

1) Please post a picture when you comment.

2) The picture must be of "Yamadori."
--- Yamadori = Mountain Tree, or Tree From the Mountain. We will extend this to include any tree collected from the wild. So please don't post urban-dori (or whatever you call it). The trees must have been growing in their native environment.

3) If you have a thread for the tree you share, please link it to your post (Or consider starting one if you haven't). Anyone who wants to comment on a particular tree can then go to your thread for in depth discussion.

3) Please list the following: (1) Species, both scientific and common name. (2)- Where it was collected (general, not specific). (3)- When it was collected, if known. (4) Collected by whom, if known. -- Any other information you feel would be interesting is welcome.
I don't care where the tree was collected, N/S/E/W or anywhere in the world. Anything counts, Conifer, Deciduous or Evergreen/Tropical.

Let's have fun and share some awesome collected trees! :)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

2) The picture must be of "Yamadori."
--- Yamadori = Mountain Tree, or Tree From the Mountain. We will extend this to include any tree collected from the wild. So please don't post urban-dori (or whatever you call it). The trees must have been growing in their native environment.

3) If you have a thread for the tree you share, please link it to your post (Or consider starting one if you haven't). Anyone who wants to comment on a particular tree can then go to your thread for in depth discussion.

3) Please list the following: (1) Species, both scientific and common name. (2)- Where it was collected (general, not specific). (3)- When it was collected, if known. (4) Collected by whom, if known. -- Any other information you feel would be interesting is welcome.
I don't care where the tree was collected, N/S/E/W or anywhere in the world. Anything counts, Conifer, Deciduous or Evergreen/Tropical.

Let's have fun and share some awesome collected trees! :)

Describe trees that are in their native environment in America? Most trees here have their origins in other parts of the world. I remember reading journals of Columbus from his exploration of the Americas and he described the vast majority of the trees as Pinus species, notably 2 varieties. I know many trees were imported by the original settlers and this practice has continued throughout the years by each ethnicity that has imported trees native to their regions which in many cases supplanted these native trees.

BTW I am just yanking your chain I know what you are trying to say, you want a thread on Yamadori of trees growing in our native environment. :p

ed

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Rocky Mountain Juniper, J. scopularum. I'm not sure who did the collecting or where, but rumor had it that Andy Smith did the deed, perhaps in Wyoming. I've owned the tree for almost a decade, and when I purchased it, it was still in the original custom made but falling apart, rotting wooden box the tree was placed in immediately after collection, so I suspect collection took place 15 to 20 years ago.
edit- I should add that this tree may be as old as 1000 years...but, you know, there's only one way to find out;)

Attachments

• DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great thread.

Here's a ponderosa (Pinus ponderosa)I collected in Colorado, probably in 2007 or 2008. I sold it to a member of the Indianapolis club, who has clearly done a great job with it. Bonus view of one collecting area.

Brian

Attachments

• Brandley_Front.jpg
    Brandley_Front.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 781
  • DSC00158.jpg
    DSC00158.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 737
Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Ed and jkl now owe a photo of a Yamadori

Here's a pondy my buddy and I collected in SD in 2010, initial styling in fall 2013.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 717

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ed and jkl now owe a photo of a Yamadori

Here's a pondy my buddy and I collected in SD in 2010, initial styling in fall 2013.

Here's a Lodgepole Pine, P. contorta, that has been swimming with the fishes for several years now. I don't know anything about where it came from or who did the collecting, but I DO know who killed it:eek:.

Attachments

• DSCF0705.1.jpg
    DSCF0705.1.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 679

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Bald cypress. Taxodium distichum. Collected (by me) in N. Fla. in 1997.

Attachments

• BC_4_09_.JPG
    BC_4_09_.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 693

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bald cypress. Taxodium distichum. Collected (by me) in N. Fla. in 1997.

Nice! That shari is cool. Here is another collected ponderosa pine that has also gone swimming...permanently. This one was collected perhaps a decade ago, perhaps by Andy Smith, that languished for 5 years in N GA before finally kicking the bucket.

Attachments

• DSCF0825.1.jpg
    DSCF0825.1.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 669

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just to introduce some eastern collected trees (aside from BC), this is common privet, Ligustrum vulgare. This is obviously not native in the US. It's considered an invasive in some parts of the mid-west, so we were allowed to collect it from a wildlife sanctuary as part of their remediation process. Collected 2013.

Attachments

• photo (39).jpg
    photo (39).jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 644

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Prunus angustifolia, Chickasaw plum collected by Paul Katich in Florida I think in 2012. Ready for some more branch selection and trunk work this year.

image.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice trees all,
Love the fir Dan, looking forward to seeing more of these in the future.
Another fir, collected by me in 2010, recovered quite slowly in a growbed until being potted for the first time spring 2014. Styling likely to begin summer of 2015.

Attachments

• IMG_20150117_142208.jpg
    IMG_20150117_142208.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_20150117_142232.jpg
    IMG_20150117_142232.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 633

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike, do you ever collect in the UP? I'm curious what it's like in the Hiawatha Natl Forest.

Brian

Pic is Eouonymus alatus, burning bush, another escaped invasive. Collected by me in 2006.

Attachments

• photo (42).jpg
    photo (42).jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 643

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Eastern White pine.
Pines Strobus.
Collected 3 years ago this coming spring by me.
Collected on a PowerLine right of way near Alpena Michigan.
9" tall.
Don't mind the pot. It's the only thing at the time that was the right size.View attachment 65714

Very nice tree. The pot sucks.

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Collected this Alder from a creek bed last April. Will be chopping it way back this spring.

Attachments

• alder 1.jpg
    alder 1.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 592
Top Bottom