The 2023 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Last year collection thread was fantastic. We learned a lot from one another on how to plan for and how to collect trees. Let's do it again. List your plan for collection and show the trees you collected. If the trees become good bonsai, you can link your progression thread to the particular post for the collection of that tree. That way we can have a complete history of the tree.

Last year thread was in the New To Bonsai forum. I think the Collecting & Importing is the more appropriate one so I create this thread here. My plan for 2023 will be similar to 2022. I am planning to collect some live oaks, bald cypress, and Mayhaw. I am hoping to get a good collection of these species that I decide to take to PA with me.

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
IMG_20230104_165248.jpg
Contemplating about taking this oak, about 30 years old. But it's straight as an arrow. It would take a looong time for it to be anything nice.

Grabbed a bunch of scots pines today because I want to make a literati like clump of forest. Since we're in coatless warm weather already, I figured to grab the bull by the horns and be in time before the roots start pushing.

Attachments

• IMG_20230104_165248.jpg
    IMG_20230104_165248.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 65

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
View attachment 467300
Contemplating about taking this oak, about 30 years old. But it's straight as an arrow. It would take a looong time for it to be anything nice.

Grabbed a bunch of scots pines today because I want to make a literati like clump of forest. Since we're in coatless warm weather already, I figured to grab the bull by the horns and be in time before the roots start pushing.
That oak is next to a big tree and has no chance to grow to anything worthwhile. If I were you I would take it. If it grows like my live oak, I don't think it will take that long to be something nice under your experience hands.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That oak is next to a big tree and has no chance to grow to anything worthwhile. If I were you I would take it. If it grows like my live oak, I don't think it will take that long to be something nice under your experience hands.
I have experience with conifers. Deciduous.. Man, I keep killing those. I do have a couple oaks but I find them rather difficult.

The big fallen tree is going to be sawn and chopped tomorrow. I think tomorrow I'll just chop and dig the smaller trunk and see where it goes.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So far I have two for sure trees on my collecting list. One is a hack berry aka sugar berry. Mother Nature has done all the work on this one, just needs to be dug and topped. This one’s is going to be a real pain to dig. Anyone know if these guys ground layer easily?
EE93039A-AFA8-4B58-A307-C618A21EA056.jpeg
The second is a twin trunk American hornbeam. There’s several seedlings in the area that will get collected also when I get this one.
2EAF328E-E218-47D5-AE4A-3171E40F34C3.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So far I have two for sure trees on my collecting list. One is a hack berry aka sugar berry. Mother Nature has done all the work on this one, just needs to be dug and topped. This one’s is going to be a real pain to dig. Anyone know if these guys ground layer easily?
View attachment 467303
The second is a twin trunk American hornbeam. There’s several seedlings in the area that will get collected also when I get this one.
View attachment 467304
Very nice.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am planning to go tomorrow afternoon to help my friend thin out the bald cypress in his shallow crawfish pond. Instead of getting really big specimen, I am thinking smaller about 10 ft tall and 2.5-3" trunk. I also have a Mayhaw or two to collect.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m most excited about this beech growing at the base of this hillside. It’s not easy to find thick beech trees with any movement, though it’ll probably take twenty years to develop and refine it, so I’ll have something to look forward to in my mid to late forties. For this year, I’ll just focus on digging up lots of feeder roots and providing impeccable aftercare.

828CB884-E566-400F-9708-581120BE3D95.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I’m most excited about this beech growing at the base of this hillside. It’s not easy to find thick beech trees with any movement, though it’ll probably take twenty years to develop and refine it, so I’ll have something to look forward to in my mid to late forties. For this year, I’ll just focus on digging up lots of feeder roots and providing impeccable aftercare.

View attachment 467310
That looks like a heck of a tree. I would be excited too if I were you.

jacobcamp

Seed
Reaction score
That is a killer beech!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

View attachment 467310
That is a fantastic beech!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I’m mostly looking at maps & not be too lazy so I’m ready come spring. I just bought a house with English ivy vines as thick as my arm … it’s invasive so…

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sad that I won't be collecting oaks this year. Due to the drought and a massive oak moth infestation locally, I don't think they have the energy left to survive collection. We'll see if they're doing better after this wet winter.

So instead I grabbed a few Monterey pine starters. They typically grow ramrod straight here so the only way to get bonsai stock from them is to start with seedlings and wire the interest into the trunks. Never tried collecting these so I'm just waiting to see if they survive. Not yamadori, but it's what I've got this year.

Monterey pines.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Awesome work. The tree has good low movement.
Thanks! I hope it lives but I'm not expecting anything. I had to saw off a lower part of the trunk because there was a double nebari. Closed it up with candle wax, same with the top.
Got some kelp and now we wait. And chopstick some more over the next days.

Top Bottom