Mirai tree sale

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I am approaching my first opportunity to actually see trees for sale on mirai, and after about a year in i feel I’ve sufficiently studied the basics of the horticulture to keep a nicer tree alive. So! I want to do the whole “get one nice tree” thing that has been recommended here for beginner/intermediate folks a lot.

my question is twofold. 1. Is trying to buy a tree on their site like trying to buy a ps5 or some crazy rare nikes? Like is it just a click war until they are gone or do you generally have a day (or even hour or so) to try and get a purchase in?

2.is shipping normally a variable cost? I am in SC and dont want the shipping to cost more than the tree if i even get that far!

Yes, they seem to go very quickly and yes, I believe shipping is variable although I have not purchased a Mirai tree (yet).

I am approaching my first opportunity to actually see trees for sale on mirai, and after about a year in i feel I’ve sufficiently studied the basics of the horticulture to keep a nicer tree alive. So! I want to do the whole “get one nice tree” thing that has been recommended here for beginner/intermediate folks a lot.

my question is twofold. 1. Is trying to buy a tree on their site like trying to buy a ps5 or some crazy rare nikes? Like is it just a click war until they are gone or do you generally have a day (or even hour or so) to try and get a purchase in?

2.is shipping normally a variable cost? I am in SC and dont want the shipping to cost more than the tree if i even get that far!
Last year was a mixture of both.

Many trees were bought in a blink of an eye.

A few though sat around for hours or even day or so. I recall one of them was a beautiful pom.

I don’t think time will be your friend in the sale - which is unfortunate.

Yeah, about that--there's nice and there's NICE. Got a grand? more? Yes, it's like buying crazy rare Nikes too (or it seems like it.) Nothing stays for long. Have your cash lined up and make buying decisions quickly. The best are gone within a few hours or even minutes. Also, some of the species offered up, or more likely, left over may not fit your climate well. It can be luck of the draw as to what you can get your hands on. That's been my experience with the last one. Far too rich for my blood. If you don't have a thousand or more, I would think your best bet for a great tree would be at the Winter Silhouette Show in Kannapolis, N.C. this December.
There will probably be more in terms of selection and price range there. Dozens of seasoned vendors I know having a "Ryan" tree brings a certain amount of prestige, and his trees are excellent. They're hardly the end-al-be-all of great stock though (and I'm sure he'd agree with that). If this is your first splash out on a "nice tree" and its a bit of a learner, I'd not pay the premium for a Mirai tree...just me though.

Oh, add $100 or more for shippin (depending on the size of the tree) If you get a tree from Ryan, most likely it will be sent via the "covered wagon" he sends east for the Nationals in NY in mid-September. You'd probably have to travel up to Rochester, NY to get it, ask someone you know who is going to bring it back for you, or contract another shipper to bring it to you--which probably won't be as gentle the folks on the "wagon." You wouldn't have to pay shipping for a tree from the N.C. show...if you go and you probably should to see the trees there.

Last edited:

While I 100% agree to save $$ and buy nice material, the once/year Mirai sale might not be the best place for your first major purchase!

These trees will be of high quality, for sure, but will also represent some the highest prices out there, and Ryan gets a premium for his brand, as he should. Shipping will not be cheap to S Carolina. And the trees will go quick.

There are many great nurseries on the east coast, in the Carolinas and in GA. I would look there first.

Also, you should be specific, in your mind, about what species you want. What trees are comfortable with? What are you confident you can grow? Spending lots of money a species you've never grown is risky. Also, finding a tree local will most likely be adapted to your climate.

Narrow it down to 2-3 species and budget. Come back here and tell us and this site will help you find a great piece of material, in your budget, that you can be happy with.

Thats my 2 cents!

As others with more experience than me have recommended on here, I would hold off on having a tree shipped right now due to the heat outside. Mirai is in Oregon, and you'd be buying a tree from a cooler climate that first has to travel 2,500 miles in a box with a company that will likely treat that box like garbage. Then it'll come out of that box into 90-degree, high humidity weather in SC. Not sure if that's the best start for your expensive tree.

Have you considered buying a tree locally or at least from a retailer here on the east coast?

If your looking for a styled and “finished” high quality tree than go for a Mirai tree for sure. It’d be cool to say you have one. Speaking for myself, I like the idea of buying a nice specimen tree, grown for or collected for bonsai then doing my own work. Which there are some really nice ones out there.

Evergreen garden works has a specimen tree section.

Todd Schlafer who is a Mirai student has some nice ones.

While I 100% agree to save $$ and buy nice material, the once/year Mirai sale might not be the best place for your first major purchase!

These trees will be of high quality, for sure, but will also represent some the highest prices out there, and Ryan gets a premium for his brand, as he should. Shipping will not be cheap to S Carolina. And the trees will go quick.

There are many great nurseries on the east coast, in the Carolinas and in GA. I would look there first.

Also, you should be specific, in your mind, about what species you want. What trees are comfortable with? What are you confident you can grow? Spending lots of money a species you've never grown is risky. Also, finding a tree local will most likely be adapted to your climate.

Narrow it down to 2-3 species and budget. Come back here and tell us and this site will help you find a great piece of material, in your budget, that you can be happy with.

Thats my 2 cents!
@PeaceLoveBonsai makes great points also. I think Bjorn, who he studies with, has some nice material for sale as well. Closer to your climate and location.

This is all really great advice! Especially around the changes in climate the tree might have to go through! maybe im misremembering about price, but last year I definitely saw all the trees on sale, (was just SO new that obviously wasnt going to buy anything, but i can swear remember a few in the 3-500 range.

wither way it sounds like the sage advice is dont risk it with the shipping and climate change, especially not this early in your journey.

and you guys havent steered me wrong yet! I’ll trust the pros!

@PeaceLoveBonsai makes great points also. I think Bjorn, who he studies with, has some nice material for sale as well. Closer to your climate and location.
Yes, Eisei-en has tons of stuff, in all price ranges. Not a lot of its online, so a garden visit is a must, if you’re ever in the area.

As others with more experience than me have recommended on here, I would hold off on having a tree shipped right now due to the heat outside. Mirai is in Oregon, and you'd be buying a tree from a cooler climate that first has to travel 2,500 miles in a box with a company that will likely treat that box like garbage.

This is totally wrong. Mirai takes great care to ship their trees across the country via the Covered Wagon.

Now, if we’re talking “normal” shipping like FedEx or UPS then it is a valid point - but that is not what Mirai does.

Good material is everywhere. You just have to look. Not to sound mean but a years of practice isn’t a lot. You could buy a lot of material to practice and get fundamentals down while producing great trees for less. I have been doing it four years so I understand the waiting process lol I have a tree finally ready to start refining lol. But it was a dying 2 dollar juniper and it is really looking good for two dollars spent.

This is totally wrong. Mirai takes great care to ship their trees across the country via the Covered Wagon.

Now, if we’re talking “normal” shipping like FedEx or UPS then it is a valid point - but that is not what Mirai does.
i was thinking the same when i read the heat comments. if it was really that bad, that high value trees were at critical risk during the shipping process, i would of thought mirai would know this and hold the sale at another date. rather than risk having angry customers.

FWIW, I don't think Ryan is going to ship trees in the summer and will probably opt for the "covered wagon" coming east this September for east coast buyers...unless he's pressed by a buyer who wants a purchase immediately. He knows better than to risk the summer heat.

Yes, Eisei-en has tons of stuff, in all price ranges. Not a lot of its online, so a garden visit is a must, if you’re ever in the area.
100% on my bonsai bucket list. I’m a ways away geographically, but taking an intensive with bjorn is high on my list.

I've never purchased a tree from Mirai but have purchased a couple of pots. If they pack their trees anything like they do their containers, they'll arrive safely. The way the pots were shipped, they probably could have survived an encounter with a steamroller. Shipping a decent sized (or large) tree from Portland to the east coast will be very expensive...probably at least $100 for something medium and a couple hundred for something larger. I don't know what they charge for the covered wagon transport but I assume it's not free, and space could be gone anyway.

From what I've seen over the years the "best" trees (combination of tree quality and price) go within minutes. I don't like having to make decisions on trees that quickly (and only from photos) so I basically stay out of it. If one just wants to have a "nice Mirai tree" you better be quick! There are almost always several lower priced trees. Last year there were a number of junipers that were around $300-$700 I think? Don't quote me on that. They were nowhere near as refined as the more expensive trees and they went fast. Were they good deals? Maybe. There are also usually a few higher priced trees that don't go immediately, larger ponderosa pines seem to sit around for a while. Bottom line, if you want a shot at the trees in the sweet spot, you're going to have to be quick and lucky.

I will say, tree prices at the National Show are not cheap either and good material often sells even before the show opens (to other vendors, exhibitors setting up their trees, etc). However, the big benefit of buying at a show is that you can actually see the tree in person and you don't have to make a decision within 5 seconds (usually). Also no shipping. Another option is if you wait until the very end of the show you can find some deals on the remaining material since people often don't want to lug it back with them. But of course, by then much of the best stuff is usually long gone.

Good luck if you decide to try to snag a Mirai tree! I really think they should modify their sales approach. In my opinion, trees should be available for viewing before the sale opens. Then maybe people should get access to the sale via a lottery system, kind of like the way the big Kennett sale was done a number of years ago. Something about the way the current sales approach is set up seems very much against the Mirai "mentality" to me...it should be a thoughtful process, not a mad scramble to see who can make the fastest decision. But I don't get to make that call.

As others with more experience than me have recommended on here, I would hold off on having a tree shipped right now due to the heat outside. Mirai is in Oregon, and you'd be buying a tree from a cooler climate that first has to travel 2,500 miles in a box with a company that will likely treat that box like garbage. Then it'll come out of that box into 90-degree, high humidity weather in SC. Not sure if that's the best start for your expensive tree.

Have you considered buying a tree locally or at least from a retailer here on the east coast?
Have you seen the Mirai videos lately? On YouTube or Facebook? The weather there is hotter than here in central TX. Heck they just had over a week of triple digits, peaking at 117 with 60-70% humidity. Also, most of the trees in this sale will be taken down in the "covered wagon" as stated above. I also doubt that Mirai will ship trees "UPS ground"... shipping is going to be expensive.

Covered wagon deliveries , and will be at US National Show for pick upon I’d imagine. If you want good material , I’d use evergreen as other said , go to a professional studio or even the US show coming up.

I don't know your experience level but I would spend the money on lessons and get nice but lower cost tree. Most of the Mirai trees will be $2000 minimum plus shipping. They are pretty spectacular and in great containers too. The ones less than that IMO are not worth it either as they are material you could find for less. You can still find a nice tree for $500 and spend more on education. Of course you may be banking. If that is case buy away!

Back
Top Bottom