Looking to buy yamadori

New plan. Voting forum. “Yamadori or Not?” Choices:

yes/no - because it came/didn’t come from a mountain

Yes/no - because it has/doesn’t have a natural stunted character

Yes/no because it has/doesn’t have the requisite appearance of age

People post pictures of collected trees (I think we’re all in agreement that all yamadori are collected trees) and after a 1 week vote people post the origin, species, and any age information they have on the tree.

😛

New plan. Voting forum. “Yamadori or Not?” Choices:

yes/no - because it came/didn’t come from a mountain

Yes/no - because it has/doesn’t have a natural stunted character

Yes/no because it has/doesn’t have the requisite appearance of age

People post pictures of collected trees (I think we’re all in agreement that all yamadori are collected trees) and after a 1 week vote people post the origin, species, and any age information they have on the tree.

😛
Inb4 someone has this massively stunted stick in a pot that actually is a very old from the mountain tree that lived just barely below the alpine zone for a hundred years.

Aye aye!

Judging from land elevation, practically nothing from Louisiana can be yamadori. Good thing I never have claimed anything I collect as yamadori.
I guess it depends on setting a minimum altitude rule 😆 Shreveport is 144' above sea level, compared to Baton Rouge at 46'...And FWIW, Driskill Mountain reaches 535 ft., so it's almost yamadori territory.

The oak below isn't yamadori. Salado Texas is only 600' above sea level. Neither is the American Beech as it's from suburban Maryland.

Attachments

• live oak.jpg
    live oak.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 33
  • american beech.jpg
    american beech.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 31
I guess it depends on setting a minimum altitude rule 😆 Shreveport is 144' above sea level, compared to Baton Rouge at 46'...And FWIW, Driskill Mountain reaches 535 ft., so it's almost yamadori territory.
Almost only counts in horseshoe and hand grenade, not in yamadori definition. Driskill may be a mountain to Cajuns but not to the rest of the world I am afraid.
1686593880727.png

Last edited:
Almost only counts in horseshoe and hand grenade, not in yamadori definition. Driskill may be a mountain to Cajuns but not to the rest of the world I am afraid.
That's the point, I'm afraid. Trying to narrowly define the term leaves a lot more on the table that is just as worthy as "real" yamadori.

Mt Fuji’s tree level is around the fifth station, at 2300-2400m. Hot take - anything above 7200 ft elevation is no longer yamadori because it falls outside the scope of the Japanese usage.

This seems to be what you're doing though, if the translation is "taken from the mountain", then anything not from a mountain wouldn't fall within the definition, stunted naturally or not. Adding that it needs to have some requisite level of character or age, is recreating a definition...
Except for that a Japanese bonsai teacher explained the meaning of the word to me in this way..
Literal translation of bonsai is tree in shallow pot / tray. Yet there is more to it than just the literal word-to-word translation.

I think it helps to speak a few languages in order to be aware that words do not always have a direct translation that conveys the exact meaning.

Once again. Why are we even having this discussion. Just because some people have diluted the meaning behind the word, does not mean the whole world has to, and certainly does not warrant all sorts of random denegrating attacks.

Except for that a Japanese bonsai teacher explained the meaning of the word to me in this way..
Literal translation of bonsai is tree in shallow pot / tray. Yet there is more to it than just the literal word-to-word translation.

I think it helps to speak a few languages in order to be aware that words do not always have a direct translation that conveys the exact meaning.

Once again. Why are we even having this discussion. Just because some people have diluted the meaning behind the word, does not mean the whole world has to, and certainly does not warrant all sorts of random denegrating attacks.
Most American dimwits like me don't speak "a few languages" like our cousins across the pond might. Yes, there is more to the word bonsai than just it's literal meaning, but it's literal meaning is a place to start.

Americans, over the last 200 years, have created an entire language based on idioms and borrowed words from other languages that take on entirely different meanings than their original. Our more closely-bred cousins across the pond have also adopted many of those words. "Cool" doesn't mean cold. "Awesome" doesn't mean terror stricken, "Dude" doesn't mean rich man, "Benjamins" doesn't mean a group of people named Benjamin. "OK" doesn't mean ock..."Yamadori" doesn't mean "from the mountain." get it? or am I just too dumb for words.

And FWIW, I am perfectly capable of understanding deeper context. Bonsai requires it, should one choose to limn its depths. If one doesn't, then imposing strict definitions on what has become a term widely used to describe collected material is simply confusing and offputting.

While it might be "fun" to throw insults around and debate minutiae it is embarrassing to see two well respected members of this community throwing mud at eachother over the definition of a word. DM's exist for a reason... please, not in front of the kids ;)

We could simply just label everything collected material. Im happy with that. Thats simple enough. Yamadori is a Japanese term and I dont even speak Japanese at the end of the day.
It seems 'fashionable' to label everything as yamadori, as if it somehow makes the material appear to be older, or more valuable, or highly sort after. When often it just isnt valuable at all. Ebay sellers use the term to drive up the price tags. and people just get sucked in. Its been labelled yamadori so it must be legit lol

We could simply just label everything collected material. Im happy with that. Thats simple enough. Yamadori is a Japanese term and I dont even speak Japanese at the end of the day.
It seems 'fashionable' to label everything as yamadori, as if it somehow makes the material appear to be older, or more valuable, or highly sort after. When often it just isnt valuable at all. Ebay sellers use the term to drive up the price tags. and people just get sucked in. Its been labelled yamadori so it must be legit lol
That is why I only have collected trees and not yamadori to strictly stay away from being labeled as "misleading".
For me the only differences between yamadori and collected trees are the types of snakes that possibly lie at the base of the trees.

Last edited:
And Thus the Community Banned the Term Yamadori Henceforth from its Shores. We are but simple Collectors of Trees.

(We also only collect on shores. So it never really applied to begin with 🙃)

Interestingly, my post that got someones panty in a wad enough to start cursing, explicitly stated: It is not about the location where it came from, but about the image a tree portrais.

Interestingly, my post that got someones panty in a wad enough to start cursing, explicitly stated: It is not about the location where it came from, but about the image a tree portrais.
I think we are all caught in a Monday craze.

Dude, you don't know when someone is yanking your chain do ya? Re-read my posts with that mindset...and you can leave my panties out of this. 😆

Dude, you don't know when someone is yanking your chain do ya? Re-read my posts with that mindset...and you can leave my panties out of this. 😆
So you professed that you gave him a wedgie and now you want him to stay away from your panties. You ain't playing fair.
*Pulling out a cooler full of beer*
Aight y'all. Beer is on me.
Fight fight fight
Yamadori Yamadori Who's with me?

Well, if nothing else, this thread proves that climate change is the real deal... this sort of "shit storm" thread used to only occur during the winter... :D.
And it was always about soil

Back
Top Bottom