Looking to buy yamadori

Urbandori is really feeling special right now.
My only personally collected tree is urbanadori. Gotta grab those growing on the urban equivalent of high altitude rocky soil - landfill 😂😬. But legit….I removed styrofoam and plastic cups from its roots on collection 😖

Next time we approach a thread like this lets remember that most collectors (all that l have met or go out with) have a reverence for the environments these trees come from and don't take the act of collecting lightly. The fractional amount of quality trees that are actually collectable and thriving two years later & ready to be worked on is low.

Many people are reluctant to let them go unless they know the tree is in good hands.
I wouldn’t give this tree to just anyone to work on.( plus it was recently collected anyway)
I imagine that if you are asking, you are ready for the material, some folks have a hard time thinking that way.
(Here are the pics)

Attachments

• C8A6A7CC-9AA7-4C90-B424-DE89D54CD08D.jpeg
    C8A6A7CC-9AA7-4C90-B424-DE89D54CD08D.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 40
Dude, you don't know when someone is yanking your chain do ya? Re-read my posts with that mindset...and you can leave my panties out of this. 😆
Nope. Even if you have sobered up again, does not make it right.

Next time we approach a thread like this lets remember that most collectors (all that l have met or go out with) have a reverence for the environments these trees come from and don't take the act of collecting lightly. The fractional amount of quality trees that are actually collectable and thriving two years later & ready to be worked on is low.

Many people are reluctant to let them go unless they know the tree is in good hands.
I wouldn’t give this tree to just anyone to work on.( plus it was recently collected anyway)
I imagine that if you are asking, you are ready for the material, some folks have a hard time thinking that way.
(Here are the pics)
That sounds good on paper but it’s just not true lol. YOU wouldn’t give that tree to anyone but the people who collect and sell these trees will not and do not ask any of these questions. Trust me lol. That is a crusade that only you are taking on in your head.

I have spent thousands already and haven’t been asked a single question. Not a one. By anyone involved in any transaction I have ever participated in regarding a tree.

So again, I appreciate the idea, on paper. In reality that sounds like a nice heart warming idea but it’s a fallacy. They just want their money like everyone else on earth

(Here are the pics)
Nice tree by the way lol

(Here are the pics)
Also if there is such a reverence for an environment I don’t know if going into said environment and ripping trees out of it for profit is having a true reverence for the environment lol. Having a reverence for the environment would probably drive you to do something a bit more endearing and beneficial for the land itself.

But what do I know lol

(Here are the pics)
I fly fish. In many of the same places that people “collect” trees in. All of the time. I practice catch and release. I catch the fish using a barbless hook, I look at the fish, I might take an iPhone photo of the fish, then I return to the fish to its pristine environment to live on. Something like that would be practicing a reverence for the environment. Albeit I’m still being a selfish human trying to catch said fish in the first place, but I am displaying some level of a reverence and respect for the land.

I don’t enter the environment, catch the fish, put it in a cup of water, take it home with me, put it in an aquarium for 6 months then sell the fish as a wild caught Rocky Mountain brown trout for $3,560.99 and free shipping to anywhere in the lower 48. That’s not a reverence. That’s business. & they do not ask anything at all.

So while I respect that idea I just don’t know how much of that is really playing out in real life. I didn’t plan on responding on the thread again but I had to because that is just not true. But if I have to play the game then I can subscribe to the thought that we are taking trees that were in neglected and compromised positions in nature and providing long term health and care for them (lol) but I don’t believe that in my heart.

Anyways! I digress lol

(Here are the pics)
😍

Earlier on in my bonsai journey, I tried to purchase a yamadori cali juniper from a friend of my teachers. He didn't exactly refuse me, but he didn't end up selling to me. Even my teacher was also hesitant on selling his yamadori or legacy trees to me, but that was a couple of years back when I was newer to the art. I'm guessing they were hesitant on selling to me because I'm relatively young, so it's justifiable why they wouldn't sell to me in the past (probably afraid a youngster would kill their trees). Those were the only occasions when I was questioned, even when I had the money.

Also if there is such a reverence for an environment I don’t know if going into said environment and ripping trees out of it for profit is having a true reverence for the environment lol. Having a reverence for the environment would probably drive you to do something a bit more endearing and beneficial for the land itself.

But what do I know lol
Actually there is. All my BCs come from private land of a friend of mine. He asked me to help cull the trees and keep them healthy. So I only pull trees that are in crowded spots such as those under the canopy of big BCs. I replant the small ones in open space areas. Those that I cannot replant because too much of the roots are cut I keep as bonsai. I have surplus so I sell to BC enthusiasts at good prices. So far this year I collected about 25 trees, sold a handful, but have replanted many more. Right now I have seedlings that we plan to put back in the land where hurricanes have washed away bigger BCs. So yeah I care a lot fir the environment. My friends and I are going to leave the land much better than when we find it. What was once an abandoned farm is now like a nature reserve for future generations to enjoy.

The same thing went with my collected Mayhaws. I collected the downed and weak, pruned and fertilized the rest. Now we have a long row of fruit producing Mayhaws. It was a one time collection deal. I now have 20 that are ready for bonsai. I may sell a few because I don’t want to hoard too many that I cannot spend time to develop.

Last edited:
Actually there is. All my BCs come from private land of a friend of mine. He asked me to help cull the trees and keep them healthy. So I only pull trees that are in crowded spots such as those under the canopy of big BCs. I replant the small ones in open space areas. Those that I cannot replant because too much of the roots are cut I keep as bonsai. I have surplus so I sell to BC enthusiasts at good prices. So far this year I collected about 25 trees, sold a handful, but have replanted many more. Right now I have seedlings that we plan to put back in the land where hurricanes have washed away bigger BCs. So yeah I care a lot fir the environment. My friends and I are going to leave the land much better than when we find it. What was once an abandoned farm is now like a nature reserve for future generations to enjoy.
Of course there are people like you out there! Your price points and the way you carry yourself clearly reflect that you aren’t in it for that motivation alone. And I’m not knocking anyone that is. whatsoever. I’ll patronize their businesses all day long. But if you have a check out cart on a website and no interview process at all then we can’t logically subscribe to the theory that that person cares about the future of that tree, to that much of a degree. It could be going to anyone, anywhere, with any skill level. As long as their card doesn’t decline during the check out process they will receive that tree. That is all I was getting at. There will always be collectors or connoisseurs such as yourself that do things in a different manner. But overall, I do not know if that is the temperament of that market as a whole.

Also you just said it, 25 trees. The last ‘yamadori’ collector I spoke to told me he just collected 150 trees. No interview process. No nothing. Those trees represent his profit for the year. He does not care where they get distributed to or whose hands they land in. That has been my experience with 98% of the people I have talked to or transacted with. Buying a tree from a private collection or a tree someone has worked on for decades may be a different story

Also you just said it, 25 trees. The last ‘yamadori’ collector I spoke to told me he just collected 150 trees. No interview process. No nothing. Those trees represent his profit for the year. He does not care where they get distributed to or whose hands they land in. That has been my experience with 98% of the people I have talked to or transacted with. Buying a tree from a private collection or a tree someone has worked on for decades may be a different story
Yeah that’s probably one of the bigger differences between going direct to a commercial collector versus getting things from forums, club auctions, etc. Many people here will be seeing their trees for long after it’s sold if people do progression threads and things, and many people who sell don’t do so as their primary source of income. The draw to a forum is a lot more about communicating and sharing - the vast majority of people here don’t get any real benefit to helping each other beyond community and that extends to sellers as well to varying extent. Sometimes people provide more accessible trees than a commercial source would or give cuttings, etc. Also, while we have our screen names, the bonsai world is small, and many people know each other personally or on friend-of-a-friend level, so there’s a bit of a weird semi-anonymous state to a forum like this over time.

Yeah that’s probably one of the bigger differences between going direct to a commercial collector versus getting things from forums, club auctions, etc. Many people here will be seeing their trees for long after it’s sold if people do progression threads and things, and many people who sell don’t do so as their primary source of income. The draw to a forum is a lot more about communicating and sharing - the vast majority of people here don’t get any real benefit to helping each other beyond community and that extends to sellers as well to varying extent. Sometimes people provide more accessible trees than a commercial source would or give cuttings, etc. Also, while we have our screen names, the bonsai world is small, and many people know each other personally or on friend-of-a-friend level, so there’s a bit of a weird semi-anonymous state to a forum like this over time.
I wonder if Bjorn interviewed Izzy beforehand or if he was like I don't care if these die. :)

Also I’ll add the “interview” idea is almost pointless. I could go spend 30k on some top of the line trees and my collection would then look like I knew what I was doing. Although I may not have a clue, just some money. So yeah. Okay I really digress this time lol

Back
Top Bottom