Here comes the hard freeze for 2024

Tropicals go into my garage and stay above freezing. Newly collected BCs moved to the back porch and put close to the house. I might put up a plywood wind break for the porch. That is all I plan to do.
Sweet. I may do the same with the one you sent me. Thank you

I’ve been tracking watering needs for my first Winter season and the longest stretch of not needing water (for most) was 13 days. After the following watering a few days ago it rained for 1.5 days dumping 3.5” of rain here. The trees went into the garage before the downpour began.

It has been interesting to learn their watering needs. I’ve also tracked the sunlight in the backyard, finding it directly hits the immediate back porch at the door twice (once at 8:30a, and again at 11a) and then their grouping bed of straw and pine bark from 2:30p-3:30p.

We're looking at a high of 5 degrees on Monday.🥶 I think the garage trees will be fine, we had a similar cold snap last year around Christmas, so not unusual here. On the bright side my company sells propane and the phones have been ringing off the hook
Reminds me of king of the hill. Specifically the episode about the winter storm.

Picked 2 of this yesterday from Lowes. Will be watering the trees Sunday afternoon, then pushing them together and covering with the blankets. Will probably check them daily mid day, but will stay under the blankets for the entire week since that we are supposed to be between 14-26 degrees night time temps the entire week with highs between 30-48. There is one day that is says we will be at 60, so I may remove the blanket that one day during the day so they don't over heat. My patio don't receive direct sunlight until around 2-3 PM until 6PM so shouldn't have any problem.

1704987152241.png

Tropicals go into my garage and stay above freezing. Newly collected BCs moved to the back porch and put close to the house. I might put up a plywood wind break for the porch. That is all I plan to do.
So far I've cleaned up the porch and moved the two BCs I just collected, Twin Tower, and Robin next to the house. Next will be selected BCs and forests. My plan is to put up some tarp and put out a ceramic heater. Based on my experience in years past, that heater will just barely be able to keep things from being way too cold. I will take some pictures when I am done.

We are forecasted to hit 20 for the low on the 16th here in North Carolina and the nights will stay in the mid 20’s for the rest of the week. I may have to drag that BC I got from @Cajunrider inside. Being from Louisiana I don’t want to risk it.
Ditto! I am going to bring mine in. I am about 2 hours away from @Cajunrider and don't risk anything under freezing. How long have you had your BS from Joe?

Last edited:
Ditto! I am going to bring mine in. I am about 2 hours away from @Cajunrider and don't risk anything under freezing. How long have you had your BD from Joe?
I got it in April. I think it had been collected the year before? I’m really not sure but it will be its first winter in NC.

I got it in April. I think it had been collected the year before? I’m really not sure but it will be its first winter in NC.
Normally I would not worry about 20 deg F if the BC is established and heeled in. I only take precautions when the roots are just starting to grow from a collected tree for from being root pruned with less than a growing season.

Normally I would not worry about 20 deg F if the BC is established and heeled in. I only take precautions when the roots are just starting to grow from a collected tree for from being root pruned with less than a growing season.
Do you remember when you collected the one you sent me?

Do you remember when you collected the one you sent me?
Very early 2023. Unless you pruned the roots during a repot, the tree should already have a full growing season and has established roots. It is good if you want to take precautions and bring it in. But I think it likely should be OK for leaving outside.

Very early 2023. Unless you pruned the roots during a repot, the tree should already have a full growing season and has established roots. It is good if you want to take precautions and bring it in. But I think it likely should be OK for leaving outside.
It hasn’t been touched since I potted it so it should be ok then. Thank you

I wouldn't even mess with it but it has been so warm this winter with lows in the 40's until this week. Nothing has had any time to get ready for cold. Got into the 20's night before last and my setup is working like a charm. I only have like 4 trees that are in actual dormancy so gotta be careful. Plus most of mine are warm-weather plants and tropicals. BTW I did lose leaves and flowers on the big boug but the branches are fine I believe. We got a new ficus microcarpa for the landscape and it is looking a little rough. I think we are going to lose the leaves on it but it should be fine.

I have a handful to still heel in but we arent getting low low temps til tuesday like many. 20ish with some teens at night.

May move a few into the attic for a couple days. It stays above freezing around 40s there during these spells.

I have some extra mulch so Ill cover some of the previously heeled pots a bit more. Stuff should be fine. I gotta get the trident in the 100lb volute somewhere safe... that's not going to be fun.

Well........ the snow is mostly going to miss us and there goes my insulation layer for the below zero highs for Monday and Tuesday. Sigh........

Back
Top Bottom