Here comes the pain

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Long-term, 15 day forecast for my area has temps in the low 20s next week. We will get to 80 or over today and tomorrow. EVERYTHING is going to move quickly. I can only pray buds don't open this week...

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Long-term, 15 day forecast for my area has temps in the low 20s next week. We will get to 80 or over today and tomorrow. EVERYTHING is going to move quickly. I can only pray buds don't open this week...
??

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All of my Amur's are moving right now and in Virginia we have at least another 2 months of potential freezes ? I'm hoping the leaves can take some frosts...

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another spring with crazy weather! Here is calling for ++ temperatures for the next 2 weeks, but we are far from done winter... Tons of rain already, then it will drop and snow. Shitty conditions!

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
It's 5* here right now but luckily, it didn't get warm enough for things to start moving before the cold hit.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
It’s staying at or above freezing for the next 10 days here. I’m seriously thinking I’m going to embrace this by moving the maples that have buds swelling out of their shelter and into the sun. They should be ok even if they leaf out if it doesn’t get too far below freezing I don’t think. Maybe.

It’s a better plan than fighting it. Once they start to move they don’t stop in my experience, and you just end up with large internodes.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry to hear it. That is when my less than 20 trees and no more than 25 makes me ponder if I should stick closer to 20.

Had my cold greenhouse open all night. To collect cool temps to combat highs of 75 F today. But its already 60 in there. Night temps were 59F.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s staying at or above freezing for the next 10 days here. I’m seriously thinking I’m going to embrace this by moving the maples that have buds swelling out of their shelter and into the sun. They should be ok even if they leaf out if it doesn’t get too far below freezing I don’t think. Maybe.
You're wrong...if temps dip to 25 (which is forecast) and your trees are out and the soil freezes, you risk their death, not only frost damage...

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
man thats sucks, lucky here is I think the lowest it dips is 37 which I'm ok with leaving the tree's where they are

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Put them in the shade, preferably mulched. You definitely don’t want to speed things up.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I would not let them get below 30, if that low.

25? I only see one night below freezing forecast through 3/1 and that is only supposed to get to 30. I don’t think there is any point in fighting this. If I put them in the shade they will just get longer internodes. I went through this last year. You may be able to slow them down but they don’t stop once they start.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Buds are swelling on a few trees. The next month shows regular highs of 50 with the majority of lows right around or above freezing. No avoiding the shuffle for me. oh well let the repots begin.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry to hear it. That is when my less than 20 trees and no more than 25 makes me ponder if I should stick closer to 20.

Had my cold greenhouse open all night. To collect cool temps to combat highs of 75 F today. But its already 60 in there. Night temps were 59F.
There is benefit for having so many trees as well. I used to feel bad when a tree dies but not anymore since I have so many now. :).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There is benefit for having so many trees as well. I used to feel bad when a tree dies but not anymore since I have so many now. :).
You're from Texas...how often are you doing the bonsai two step with your trees? That...is huge. My friend in Florida...doesn't have to do it very often. When it's often...it becomes a lot. She grasp my desire for a smaller collection when U.S. northerners do that two step so often your head spins.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

25? I only see one night below freezing forecast through 3/1 and that is only supposed to get to 30. I don’t think there is any point in fighting this. If I put them in the shade they will just get longer internodes. I went through this last year. You may be able to slow them down but they don’t stop once they start.
Not fighting, just putting it out there. Do with it what you want. I've been doing this for 25 years, early warm ups in Feb are a very very bad thing. .Embrace them at you and your trees' risk.

Look further ahead. the 15 day forecast for me here in No.Va. is for lows at 25-26 for March 2-6 with the trend headed downward...You don't want your trees to open AT ALL at this point. I suspect things will get colder after the 6th. I'm shading everything at this point (and no, not worried about long internodes. I'm worried about HAVING internodes after the freeze coming).

http://myforecast.co/bin/expanded_forecast_15day.m?city=31854&zip_code=22079&metric=false

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You're from Texas...how often are you doing the bonsai two step with your trees? That...is huge. My friend in Florida...doesn't have to do it very often. When it's often...it becomes a lot. She grasp my desire for a smaller collection when U.S. northerners do that two step so often your head spins.
I was just playing with you. I have quite a few tropical which is a pain to develop since we do have cold days. A lot of time, the finer twigs get kill in the winter. Hard to get them to develop. At least now I think I have a plan for next winter. This year winter is pretty done for us.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All of my Amur's are moving right now and in Virginia we have at least another 2 months of potential freezes ? I'm hoping the leaves can take some frosts...
They cannot take a frost. If you don't protect them from the frost the leaves will die. The tree will probably be fine, but it will be set back a little.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

They don't need sun until there are fully identifiable leaves on the branches... until then, shade and mulch. Fwiw, those swelling buds are still very cold tolerant and won't be damaged by temps in the mid to low 20s... the roots are a different story.

Top Bottom