Here comes the hard freeze for 2024

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Been battling with flu for the last 4 days. Am glad to have 60% of the trees out of the shed and garage. Am completely wasted after that. NO MORE BIG TREES! They have been inside for about a week... but they all look fine.
Get well soon!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well... guess I provided a little too MUCH protection for some of my princess persimmons. I've been moving some of them into an unheated garage any time the temps were dropping below 25...

And now the ones I've been protecting are starting to bud. Guess I'll be doing the protection foxtrot with them for the next 60 days (give or take). Just shows you - it is very difficult to try to time Mother Nature.

[EDIT] I am editing this post because I went out to look and ALL of my princess persimmons are showing signs of budding. Very strange. Granted we had a very early winter this year with an abnormal deep freeze in November - but it's almost like they are saying "that's it - you had your 90 days of dormancy - time to wake up!" It was 13F here on Sunday AM![/EDIT]

Last edited:

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
man... I keep seeing people here showing signs of budding and all my trees are still sleeping. Hopefully they are not dead.

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well... guess I provided a little too MUCH protection for some of my princess persimmons. I've been moving some of them into an unheated garage any time the temps were dropping below 25...

And now the ones I've been protecting are starting to bud. Guess I'll be doing the protection foxtrot with them for the next 60 days (give or take). Just shows you - it is very difficult to try to time Mother Nature.

[EDIT] I am editing this post because I went out to look and ALL of my princess persimmons are showing signs of budding. Very strange. Granted we had a very early winter this year with an abnormal deep freeze in November - but it's almost like they are saying "that's it - you had your 90 days of dormancy - time to wake up!" It was 13F here on Sunday AM![/EDIT]
I don't know how early those start budding, but my blueberries were already budding out before and after our coldsnap.

Some of my spruce has new growth as well

Top Bottom