Here comes the hard freeze for 2024

So, I'm going to wash my truck today, and it's 16 F and snowing, cuz Michigan!!!

For some odd reason, the local municipalities would rather throw crazy amounts of rock salt on the road then plow... probably because Detroit actually sits on a large salt mine. Anyway, I like my truck too much to watch it rust away.

So, I'm going to wash my truck today, and it's 16 F and snowing, cuz Michigan!!!

For some odd reason, the local municipalities would rather throw crazy amounts of rock salt on the road then plow... probably because Detroit actually sits on a large salt mine. Anyway, I like my truck too much to watch it rust away.
One of the main reason I will never buy used car from northern states.

Cpvc should work with most shark-bite fittings.
I'd be more worried about treating the cause of the problem than the symptom. If you have interior pipes bursting, you'd got an insulation/pipe routing issue.

Depends on the state, honestly. In Minnesota they salt their roads like crazy but in South Dakota they don't use near as much. Partly because it can get so cold here that the salt still doesn't melt the ice.

I have lived in the NE all my life and my family and myself have had several cars that clocked over 100K miles.
Never ever had a problem because of road salt exposure.
Plus I live along the coast and have had to drive through salt water flooded areas on occasion.

I have lived in the NE all my life and my family and myself have had several cars that clocked over 100K miles.
Never ever had a problem because of road salt exposure.
Plus I live along the coast and have had to drive through salt water flooded areas on occasion.
You never see this in GA, but I see it all the time here in MI. Most of the vehicles with this kind of rust are at least 7-8 years old. Still, I hang onto my rides as long as possible and I don't want my truck to look like this.
1705686775101.png

You never see this in GA, but I see it all the time here in MI. Most of the vehicles with this kind of rust are at least 7-8 years old. Still, I hang onto my rides as long as possible and I don't want my truck to look like this.
View attachment 524884
Yep. I used to work in Midland MI. Saw this all the time up in that area.

View attachment 524884

Might have seen some of those up in Maine where I grew up. Never happened to any of the vehicles my family owned.
Maybe because they took care of them.

My baby!
View attachment 524885
It’s currently sitting inside the garage, covered up in icicles😬… But the road grime is on the driveway now😎

Nice truck. Ive always loved trucks.
Funny I have a picture of my boat but never took one of my F150.
Its the first F150 I ever bought for myself and I was so proud of driving off the lot with it when I bought it.
I owned Sport Tracs before I bought the F150 but needed the bigger towing capacity when I bought my 21' boat.

I'd be more worried about treating the cause of the problem than the symptom. If you have interior pipes bursting, you'd got an insulation/pipe routing issue.
The section of pipe I always have issues with runs to the laundry machine, which is in a punch out on the southeast corner of the house. It hangs out away from the foundation, so is exposed to the cold from all sides.
I thought I had it solved after last year, but apparently not.

Nice truck. Ive always loved trucks.
Funny I have a picture of my boat but never took one of my F150.
Its the first F150 I ever bought for myself and I was so proud of driving off the lot with it when I bought it.
I owned Sport Tracs before I bought the F150 but needed the bigger towing capacity when I bought my 21' boat.
I ended up with this one almost 3 years ago as a semi mid life crisis/business expense. I needed a new vehicle and had just started my new career as an independent contractor. I rationalized that it could be used as a business vehicle and write off each tax season... but I mainly got it because my biggest bonsai tree will fit in the rear of the cab when the seats are folded up :cool: .

I ended up with this one almost 3 years ago as a semi mid life crisis/business expense. I needed a new vehicle and had just started my new career as an independent contractor. I rationalized that it could be used as a business vehicle and write off each tax season... but I mainly got it because my biggest bonsai tree will fit in the rear of the cab when the seats are folded up :cool: .
As good an excuse as any.

LOL its funny, a fellow bonsai club member and I always drive to MABS together and I always remind him that although I have a pick up truck there is limited space to put trees in the cab with us and its an extra size cab with the suicide doors. I have a hard tuno cover on the back and dont like driving that distance with a tree in the back with it open.

I started reminding him when I caught him buying rafflle tickets for a huge tree that would have been impossible to fit in the truck

It wasnt the cold it was a poorly

He said it was a poorly executed joint, not necessarily freezing. That said, if cold is an issue, pex has greater expansion qualities than cpvc and copper and is quite reliable. Obviously it is prudent to insulate piping.

How about electric heat tape around the pipes?
Had an old one on there, but it's bunk now.

I have some of those foam sleeves on the most worrisome end, but I'm going to go ahead and add some to the entire thing. I'll see what I can do about the entire space, but that's a bit of a project.
Half the house is poorly executed additions and punch outs on a structure originally built a century ago. It's also a rental, so there's only so much I'm willing to invest in it. The only reason I work on it myself is I've seen the quality of work that the landlord's handyman executes.🙄
Apparently mine isn't that much better, but at least I don't have to wait around for them. Took more than two months to get the oven fixed.

Back
Top Bottom