Here comes the pain

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm gonna have nightmares^^^^uncle Fester on steroids, yikes.

I just peaked out the second story window and leaf buds are swelling a tad and showing a bit of green on a random (unidentified) tree, so I guess we will see how quickly things progress. With a fairly cold March predicted, I stand by my thoughts of a slow, steady unfolding of spring.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Over here, I have 2 JM's, 1 Elm, 1 Trident, and an azalea and a K Boxwood all pushing new leaves....
Been 2 stepping here and there....I'll admit.

I went to the National Arboretum on Thursday, and wow!
You'd think it's later March in there...
Everything is growing!
The Japanese Apricot trees are in full bloom, looked amazing!
Couldn't take pics, sorry...I'm dumb.

Last edited:

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I wrote the following last Thursday afternoon:

I am @ 10 miles east and a little south of BWI airport, close to the Bay. I don't have any leaves breaking bud yet however the flowering quince flower buds are getting color and flower buds on winter hazel and blueberries are big and fat. No green from leaves visible yet, even on Kiyohime maple. (My trees are on the ground buried in mulch.)

Since then the Japanese flowering quince have opened, euonymus has leaves and kiyohime and several other yatsubusa maples are ready to open. RockM was right. Going into repotting mode.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
One thing I've learned about weather...they know nothing about weather :p

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, we’ve gone from days in the 70s to days back in the 40s. The bad part is we are on a real roller coaster ride with the over night temps. Last night it was 44 but now we are looking at a string of nights in the 20s. Now my seedlings and recent repot/collected plants have to go back in the garage for a few days. I just out my shipment if BC yearlings on hold until the middle of the month to avoid having to schlep them in and out of the garage.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I felt the pain this morning. I went down to the garage to check on things and found my water elm pushing a few buds all of a sudden. So after breakfast there I was out back with snow falling around me washing the soil off the roots! Got it repoted and tucked away. Tomorrow I will do my red elm and I am thinking about doing my tall BC. I just know everything is going to pop all at once and it will be 22 degrees and a late winter snowstorm. And of course I am scheduled to do a workshop on saturday in Charlotte with snow and a cold rain predicted.

Top Bottom