Bjorn’s Single Flush Pine technique explained!

The real truth is that no one in this country that is pushing the aesthetic limits of what bonsai can and should be in this country gives 2 sh!ts about about non-native, field grown 5 needle Japanese pines. They are not cool nor unique nor hip whatsoever and these traditional designs you present are extremely archaic in nature. So don't go about flaunting this stuff... Unless you want to be known only as Mr Craft. Because that's what it is-craft--not art.
Dawg, if your post was intended to insult or belittle me, it didn’t work.

If you’re inspired by your Pacific Northwest trees, good for you! Have at it.

My inspiration for bonsai are the pictures I saw of JWP in books that I studied when I first discovered bonsai when I was 16 years old, some 50 years ago. Those images are what “bonsai look like” to me.

For a long time, I was unable to keep JWP, so I worked with JBP instead. In tecent I have learned how to keep JWP healthy, so I now have a number of JWP in addition to my JBP.

As to whether I am an artist... I have always maintained I am a poor artist. My “craft” skills are top notch, however. I recognize my limitations, and I try to get the most I can out of my limited “craft” skills.

As to being in the “cool kid clique”... I couldn’t care less. I’m actually rather a recluse.

What is it about you PacIfic Northwest people who seem to think that if it’s not local yamadori it’s inferior? The PNW collected trees are great, but so are trees from the rest of the world.

Jo ij

Hit the nail on the head Sorce--There is more health and beauty to be had before the 8ball.

The reality is that this Bjorn video demonstrates laziness if nothing else. Presenting the entire picture of handling these species of trees in both refinement AND development and/or a combo of the two is just too much detail and would take too much time to explain / or produce.

Of course Ryan has taken the time to explain every detail and nuance needed for these trees in every stage of development... but that'd be expecting FAR TOO MUCH of Adair to have recognized or comprehended. LOL
So you would start some sort of conflict of Ryan vs. Bjorn it would appear. Lots of us enjoy both aesthetics without harboring enmity for the other side of the coin. At least approach that which you are not attracted to with civility please.

So you would start some sort of conflict of Ryan vs. Bjorn it would appear. Lots of us enjoy both aesthetics without harboring enmity for the other side of the coin. At least approach that which you are not attracted to with civility please.
I agree. Apparently you’re not allowed to like both. I don’t consider Bjorn’s video to be laziness at all. Just the fact he didn’t want to do a two hour video, just something quick and specific.
I pretty much started to ignore post like that.....and figured out how to put certain members on ignore. I don’t get on here to read trash talk. A couple of months ago I was on the Mirai forum and a member was saying how Bjorn’s deciduous technique was all fundamentally wrong. Seems to me like he knows a little about bonsai.... maybe I’m wrong...

Dawg, if your post was intended to insult or belittle me, it didn’t work.

If you’re inspired by your Pacific Northwest trees, good for you! Have at it.

My inspiration for bonsai are the pictures I saw of JWP in books that I studied when I first discovered bonsai when I was 16 years old, some 50 years ago. Those images are what “bonsai look like” to me.

For a long time, I was unable to keep JWP, so I worked with JBP instead. In tecent I have learned how to keep JWP healthy, so I now have a number of JWP in addition to my JBP.

As to whether I am an artist... I have always maintained I am a poor artist. My “craft” skills are top notch, however. I recognize my limitations, and I try to get the most I can out of my limited “craft” skills.

As to being in the “cool kid clique”... I couldn’t care less. I’m actually rather a recluse.

What is it about you PacIfic Northwest people who seem to think that if it’s not local yamadori it’s inferior? The PNW collected trees are great, but so are trees from the rest of the world.

….cool-kid clique? NO...... :D :D :D :D

...caretaker of some of the best trees in the country? YES!!:cool::p 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

Most trees are not as close to as perfect as MR Adair's the bonsai-master-all-knowing-of-every-fact-limited-to-jbp&jwp.
Can we see some of your trees Mr. newb-who-just-wants-to-stir-up-trouble-but-doesn't-actually-know-anything-about-bonsai?

In other words, put up or shut up.

The real truth is that no one in this country that is pushing the aesthetic limits of what bonsai can and should be in this country gives 2 sh!ts about about non-native, field grown 5 needle Japanese pines. They are not cool nor unique nor hip whatsoever and these traditional designs you present are extremely archaic in nature. So don't go about flaunting this stuff... Unless you want to be known only as Mr Craft. Because that's what it is-craft--not art.
Wow. One of the most asinine comments I have read in this forum in a while. And that's a lot to say! But thank you, you made me laugh this morning!

Jo ij

Hit the nail on the head Sorce--There is more health and beauty to be had before the 8ball.

The reality is that this Bjorn video demonstrates laziness if nothing else. Presenting the entire picture of handling these species of trees in both refinement AND development and/or a combo of the two is just too much detail and would take too much time to explain / or produce.

Of course Ryan has taken the time to explain every detail and nuance needed for these trees in every stage of development... but that'd be expecting FAR TOO MUCH of Adair to have recognized or comprehended. LOL
I have to say, I can't stand Ryan Neil's videos. I know people here swear by them, but I find them extremely long, boring, and he rambles too much. I get the production value, etc. but, as talented as he is a bonsai artist, he is an extremely poor communicator/teacher. This comes from another teacher. Or as a friend of mine who is a videographer once told me, the secret is shoot loose, edit tight. And he does only the first one.

As far as I can tell, BonsaiDawg has only posted photos once, of his Amur maple forest. I have not seen any other images of his trees.

As far as I can tell, BonsaiDawg has only posted photos once, of his Amur maple forest. I have not seen any other images of his trees.

Actually quite a nice forest.

Actually quite a nice forest.
A nice forest indeed, but overall he adds little to no value in the bulk of the threads he comments. He SEEMS to have great knowlesge of the subjects, but his method of delivery of said knowledge is about as effective as he claims Bjorns videos are effective. Sometimes the softest voices can be the most powerful. 🤷🏼‍♂️

A nice forest indeed, but overall he adds little to no value in the bulk of the threads he comments. He SEEMS to have great knowlesge of the subjects, but his method of delivery of said knowledge is about as effective as he claims Bjorns videos are effective. Sometimes the softest voices can be the most powerful. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yes I agree, just said it was a nice tree. In the thread it was a recent acquisition, wonder if it's still alive after the repotting?

Nice forest??? You are entitled to your opinion but there is more said here that comes right to the point. If he just reecently acquired this forest then it is not his work, craft or art; which brings us back to my original question: Who are you? You show me yours I have shown you mine.

Nice forest??? You are entitled to your opinion but there is more said here that comes right to the point. If he just reecently acquired this forest then it is not his work, craft or art; which brings us back to my original question: Who are you? You show me yours I have shown you mine.
I think that’s the point. It is a nice forest, but other than a pretty picture of a forest he didn’t build, what value has he brought to this site? Nothing at all.

I think that’s the point. It is a nice forest, but other than a pretty picture of a forest he didn’t build, what value has he brought to this site? Nothing at all.
That's not necessarily true either, he has simply chosen not to show them which I think is beyond excusable.

One is left to ask: Who the hell are you? Let's see some of your trees and the evidence that you know what you are talking about.

Dont bother Vance, This guy just goes around and generally bashes people who tend to be respected and picks fights. Plenty have asked him to put up or shut up with no evidence to back anything up.

Dont bother Vance, This guy just goes around and generally bashes people who tend to be respected and picks fights. Plenty have asked him to put up or shut up with no evidence to back anything up.
He mainly has it in for @Adair M ... I think he secretly has a crush on this esteemed southernly gentleman... the Foghorn Leghorn of American Bonsai!!

I can be done either way. In fact, in the video Bjorn does it with both scissors and fingers

but can it be done with a thumb knife? 🤣

I keep getting adds for this! 😖

Attachments

• E9A9D668-2CEB-49B0-A19D-0AE957176838.jpeg
    E9A9D668-2CEB-49B0-A19D-0AE957176838.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom