The rumors are true. Bjorn is moving back to Japan

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That home was partially built in Japan, then sent to the US in containers.
At the Huntington Gardens, they have one traditional Japanese house in the Japanese garden which was constructed in Japan and shipped to the US in 1904.

Most recently, they shipped and reconstructed the Shōya House from Marugame, Japan, which was the center of the village and dated back to 1700. You can see the video here:

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes... but it will be cost prohibitive because the cost of the raw materials they use in Japan is more than triple here. There is a builder in Austin Texas, Matt Risinger. He has a channel I watch on YT, The Build Show where he showed the build of a home by a company bought by a large Japanese home builder. That home was partially built in Japan, then sent to the US in containers.
Was it cheaper to ship in that way??

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Was it cheaper to ship in that way??
I would imagine, as if it was cheaper to do here, the profit would be larger... so it would make more sense. Especially since Japanese business is all about efficiency and profitability.

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not really that many nurseries IN tokyo. Far more in Saitama as you may know. If you're after small pots, Kinokaze has a pretty amazing selection. They're only open on fridays/saturdays I beleive. https://www.kino-kaze.com/blank-7
They specialize in mini/mame trees and pots and are in the musashino neighborhood.
Thanks for the info (I forgot to say this earlier). My friend missed a chance to get any pots last trip but I hear he is going back to Tokyo soon.
I started looking for flights to Tokyo just out of curiosity. How much is the average night of lodging there?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the info (I forgot to say this earlier). My friend missed a chance to get any pots last trip but I hear he is going back to Tokyo soon.
I started looking for flights to Tokyo just out of curiosity. How much is the average night of lodging there?
I live in Tokyo, so I've never needed a hotel here. I find lodging to be pretty cheap in general anywhere in the country, but recently because of the bassive influx in tourism prices have been soaring at even budget hotels. Keep in mind that many places charge per person, not per room.

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I live in Tokyo, so I've never needed a hotel here. I find lodging to be pretty cheap in general anywhere in the country, but recently because of the bassive influx in tourism prices have been soaring at even budget hotels. Keep in mind that many places charge per person, not per room.
Thanks again for the feedback!

Top Bottom